Getting Started With Enduro

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Getting Started With Enduro
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 9, 2015 at 22:57 Quote
Does anyone have a good guide from transitioning from XC to Enduro?

I'm a fast rider (when I don't crash), but I'm looking for something a little more fun and fast-paced, which Enduro fills perfectly.

However, I'm at a loss as to where to even start to get into Enduro.

I live near areas where BME events have taken place, but I'm not sure I would be safe renting a f/s bike and just hitting the trail. In that respect, the doubles and wooden features are my biggest worries. The endo is basically my mortal enemy at this point, and I'm trying to learn to shift my weight back on takeoffs, but it's taking some time for sure.

I want to see if I can compete in this summer's Enduro events in my area, so lots of training will take place if I can even locate a regimen.

So, I pose the question: does anyone have tips/websites/guides/videos on how to get introduced into Enduro?

Thanks in advance!

Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 18:03 Quote
I'd recommend working on improving your bike handling skills before anything else. Being fast is one thing, but being able to confidently ride technical trails, sometimes without seeing them first, is a skill you'll need to possess in order to succeed at enduro racing. Luckily, the best way to accomplish this is to ride your bike as much as possible on a wide variety of terrain. Now, you don't want to go charging willy-nilly off every jump you can find and hope for the best - there are easier (and safer) ways to improve your riding skills. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend taking a lesson or attending a mountain bike skills camp. An instructor will be able to offer tips and techniques that would be difficult to figure out on your own, likely saving you from a bunch of scrapes, bruises, and frustration.

Lessons can be expensive, so if that's out of the question I'd try to find a more advanced rider who's willing to take you under their wing, someone with the patience to let you tag along with them on rides. Seeing another rider successfully hit a jump you'd been afraid of, or navigate safely through a menacing rock garden will help make it easier to visualize yourself doing the same thing. You can also find a pump track or a skills center and practice, practice, practice, but make sure that you're having plenty of fun at the same time - after all, that's the whole point of bike riding.

Most skills parks have a beginner line of tabletop jumps - start by rolling up and over them, paying attention to how your bike's position changes underneath you. Eventually you'll feel comfortable enough to get a little bit of air, and before too long those tabletop jumps will feel less awkward and intimidating. I'm not going to go into step by step details on how to jump, since that's something best learned in real life, but remember to take your time, stay relaxed, and don't worry if you don't figure it all out right away. Oh, and make sure your seat is lowered - it'll make jumping much, much less awkward than if it's full extended in XC race mode.

When that first enduro race arrives, you'll probably have pre-race jitters and a stomach full of butterflies, but hopefully you'll have gained a little more confidence in your riding skills. There may still be jumps that you ride around, or techy bits that you end up walking down, but treat it as a learning experience, and by the end of the race you'll know what aspects of your riding could use a little more improvement.

Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 19:50 Quote
Hey, I know this is an entire year later, but I just wanted to thank you for your response. Took your advice last year which set me up really well this year. Got a Nomad and am signed up for a BME race.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015103
Mobile Version of Website