ACL & Meniscus reconstruction - Rehab hints and tips....

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
ACL & Meniscus reconstruction - Rehab hints and tips....
Posted: Feb 5, 2015 at 10:26 Quote
JasenK wrote:
danbeaven wrote:
everything dude. Pedalling at trail centres, bigger all day rides (we don't really have big mountains near me), some DH, motocross, moto-trials, snowboard.

They are a mx brace yeah, but I've used them for all the above. I probably wouldn't surf/wakeboard with them, but then I wouldn't do that with a bust ACL anyway

The thing I like about the pods is they have a synthetic ligament in them that mimics the human knee motion. It's replaceable too.

Hi Dan,

Can you take the patel cup off for cycling? If so, do you? I'm after some knee braces but want something that ideally could use on the enduro motorbike and push bike too :-)

Yup it unclips in like less than 30 seconds!

That Breg one looks cool as well

Posted: Feb 10, 2015 at 18:49 Quote
Had my left knee ACL reconstructed with hamstring tendon 16yrs ago when I was 20. I opted out of surgery at first because it felt so good but it just resulted in the knee popping out a few times before I got into get the surgery, causing a bucket handle tear of the cartilage and definitely increasing rehab time.......So I would recommend to take it serious and getting the surgery when you can, even if it feels fine.

Just today I saw the doc for a knee injury I got last Saturday skiiing. This time its the other knee. It was worse than I was hoping. He's pretty sure its a grade III (full) tear of the MCL and he seemed really concerned about my ACL as well but I wont know till I get the MRI which will take around 6 weeks (hopefully no longer) here in Canada. Crazy bummed right now and wish I knew the full extent.

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 at 1:21 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
Had my left knee ACL reconstructed with hamstring tendon 16yrs ago when I was 20. I opted out of surgery at first because it felt so good but it just resulted in the knee popping out a few times before I got into get the surgery, causing a bucket handle tear of the cartilage and definitely increasing rehab time.......So I would recommend to take it serious and getting the surgery when you can, even if it feels fine.

Just today I saw the doc for a knee injury I got last Saturday skiiing. This time its the other knee. It was worse than I was hoping. He's pretty sure its a grade III (full) tear of the MCL and he seemed really concerned about my ACL as well but I wont know till I get the MRI which will take around 6 weeks (hopefully no longer) here in Canada. Crazy bummed right now and wish I knew the full extent.

Really sorry to hear that fella Frown hope its not as bad as it sounds and you have a speedy recovery.

Hear you on the putting it off front, but having paid for a holiday I'll have to jib off is just too much, just keeping my fingers ctcrossed i do no further damage!!!

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 at 20:39 Quote
inverted180 wrote:

I hope it ain't as bad as it seems. Did you hear the ACL pop, and did the doctor drain any blood out of the knee? Those are tell tail signs of a blown ACL. Still have some occasionaly high pain from a grade 3 MCL tear and ACL full tear, on sept 12th.
But this week I have noticed a big improvement, can use the stairs a bit better now too. Still some pain from the surgery (oct 31) too, but nothing like the 1st two weeks.
6 weeks is a log time to wait for an MRI? I got mine in 3 days.
I hope you aren't into much pain, but know that isn't possible with that injury.... Best of luck to you.

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 at 0:04 Quote
MilkweedSeed wrote:
inverted180 wrote:

I hope it ain't as bad as it seems. Did you hear the ACL pop, and did the doctor drain any blood out of the knee? Those are tell tail signs of a blown ACL. Still have some occasionaly high pain from a grade 3 MCL tear and ACL full tear, on sept 12th.
But this week I have noticed a big improvement, can use the stairs a bit better now too. Still some pain from the surgery (oct 31) too, but nothing like the 1st two weeks.
I hope you aren't into much pain, but know that isn't possible with that injury.... Best of luck to you.

on my case, i do heard a pop, so, that confirms the doctors examination on my ACL tear (they said it was full tear, & they said no need to do MRI scan)...1st week, cannot stand up on my own, need crutches. 2nd week, can stand up on my own, but need to wear knee protector just in case my knee gave up. 3rd week, can stand up quite ok, donnt need knee brace, can walk like normal. Been climbing back n forth the stairs at my office since the lift is out of service.

So, everyday i climbed 4 stories high staircase, n now i can feel my knee strength is good n doesnt feel like giving out like the first 2 weeks. Now doing squats whenever i got free time, focusing to strengthen up my knee

Surgery is due in 8 months, so, gonna build more strength on my knee

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 at 1:52 Quote
Good to hear things are pointing in the right direction for you both Smile

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 at 6:11 Quote
MilkweedSeed wrote:
inverted180 wrote:

No pop that I recall. it just felt like the knee twisted. I skiied dOwn, I actually had to ski a few lifts over and the thought of finishing the day passed through my mind for a second. It didnt feel stable though and with my knee history I wasnt going to risk it. Good thing cause its worse than I thought. I can still walk with minimal limp. its sore but not that bad and swelling is minimal. I guess a full tear can be less painfull and swelling than a partial. Funny but I dknt remember a pop when I blew the other acl either and it wasnt that painfull either. The subsquent dislocations I put myself through hurt progressively worse and worse though.

Bonus Im not expecting any damage to the joint/cartlidge. Just hope my acl fine and the mcl heals well on its own. Thats my best case scenario.

6 weeks for an mri is fast here...haha. Thats the downside to our public healthcare. I love our system but sometimes you gotta wait in line. It sucks not knowing but I dont think it will change the out come...just maybe the timeline.

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 16:47 Quote
Best case scenario is outnthe door I think. I had two physiotherapists assess my knee and they both told me that my acl is blown. So I some how manage to blow up my mcl amd acl. Meniscus seems fine so far but wont know until the mri Or surgery. Looks like my summer is going to suck.

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 3:30 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
Best case scenario is outnthe door I think. I had two physiotherapists assess my knee and they both told me that my acl is blown. So I some how manage to blow up my mcl amd acl. Meniscus seems fine so far but wont know until the mri Or surgery. Looks like my summer is going to suck.

Don't sweat it dude, unforunately these kind of injuries go with the territory!

Positives are: no meniscus damage (which is usually the more painful part and harder/longer to fix), and you may be able to still do some of the things you love to do if you just reign in the intesity and/or wear bracing (it depends on the injury/physio/surgeons obviously, as well as the recovery timelines you get) .

But if not, look at it as an opportunity to do some things you're normally too busy to get into Smile Festivals, music, travel, learning or whatever floats your boat. It's what I'm consoling myself with. It's not the same, but it's an alternative, and if nothing else it might give you some extra drive (if needed) to ride when you are able to! Smile

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 4:55 Quote
hi, its been a while since my last update...

latest is, i received my shock doctor knee supporter (model 870) and to my amaze, its darn good!!

wearing it first time, i felt uncomfortable actually, but after some walking n bending my knees to expand it, it works perfectly for me...once i strap it on, my knee felt very strong, even can pedal standing up (without it, i barely can pedal standing up)...

now im feeling confident to go full blast n enjoy my ride more...really recommend this product to others who has injury like mine tup

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 8:48 Quote
ahchat wrote:
hi, its been a while since my last update...

latest is, i received my shock doctor knee supporter (model 870) and to my amaze, its darn good!!

wearing it first time, i felt uncomfortable actually, but after some walking n bending my knees to expand it, it works perfectly for me...once i strap it on, my knee felt very strong, even can pedal standing up (without it, i barely can pedal standing up)...

now im feeling confident to go full blast n enjoy my ride more...really recommend this product to others who has injury like mine tup

What kind of impact protection does it offer?

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 21:01 Quote
Hi guys..just did my ACL reconstruction yesterday and yeah, the pain after d ops is unbearable...

Now just lying on bed, stretching my leg...oh well, 238 days to go till im back on d trails

Posted: Oct 24, 2015 at 6:56 Quote
ahchat wrote:
Hi guys..just did my ACL reconstruction yesterday and yeah, the pain after d ops is unbearable...

Now just lying on bed, stretching my leg...oh well, 238 days to go till im back on d trails

Bad news dude, I'm in on the 10th of Nov Frown

Healing vibes and all that Smile

Posted: Oct 24, 2015 at 16:47 Quote
jskiff wrote:
ahchat wrote:

Bad news dude, I'm in on the 10th of Nov Frown

Healing vibes and all that Smile

Good luck to u bro!! Now hav to concentrate on rehab, in d mean time, can plan for next upgrade on my bike, just to keep my head straight lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011572
Mobile Version of Website