CO-roadtrip in june: looking for locals to share the ride

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
CO-roadtrip in june: looking for locals to share the ride
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 6:06 Quote
Hi there!
We fly in to Denver on june 6th and will be on a roadtrip accross CO to Moab and back. Plan is to ride as much as possible.
flight back to germany is on 20th
We do All-Mountain-Rides, we like to climb and earn our descents, hike-a-bikes are great, and if leads to some technical descent, the better.
Our normal rides are in the 30+-mile range, with usually 3000-6000ft of climb.

2 years ago we went to norcal, and had some great rides with locals there, and i hope this will work out in CO as well.

So far we have no route planned... if you have a great ride in your area and some time, and like to ride with us, drop me a line.

-----------------------------------

Some small help needed in Denver:
It would be really nice to have a place to store our bike-bags for the time of our roadtrip. They are bulky as you know and will take a LOT of space in the car.
Maybe some friendly local might be able to help us with that by providing some space to store the bags for this 2 weeks.
Payment for this service will be done in beer!

-----------------------------------

Regards
Keepiru

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 18:25 Quote
Your trip will be awesome. I have lived in Denver 10 years and have ridden extensively in Colorado and Utah. Like you I enjoy big backcountry rides, although I DH a fair amount as well.

If I were doing your trip - I would do something like this:

2-3 days in Fruita, CO
Rides: 18 road, loma area and possibly grand junction ( lunch loops and the ribbon)

3-4 days in Moab, UT
Rides: slick rock, whole enchilada, mag 7 ( to portal), amasa back ( with Ahab and pothole)

2-3 days in Durango, CO
Rides: telegraph hill, Hermosa creek, kennebec pass, molass pass

2-3 days in Crested Butte, CO
Rides: 401, strand hill, Reno/flag/bear/doctors, dyke trail, teocalli ridge

You could also try to hit Monarch crest trail or Segment 6 of the Colorado trail on your way back to Denver.

If you hit half of what's on this list it will be an epic trip. And there is plenty more that I haven't bothered to list.

Checking out these four destinations will let you do a big driving loop with lots of good views and the longest drive being less than 5 hours.

I live in west denver (Lakewood) - you are welcome to leave your bike bags in my garage during your trip. We might be able to join you for part of your trip depending on work schedule.

Pat

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 23:30 Quote
Great!

Thats why i love the mountain-bike community. Smile
There are allways people who will help you out or share a ride to have a good time.

We're have an offer from a local who will show us his home-trails at the golden-area on sunday (? not 100% confirmed ?)
After that we're completely free on shedule for our trip.

I think we should have a short peek at the horsethief-loop at fruita as well... the drop-in looks really interesting, even if its at the limits (or maybe above?) of what i can do so far... thats usually hard to tell from videos and pictures.
even if we decide to hike-a-bike the drop in, this loop is called "really awesome" and its just a quite short ride wich can be done as a warmup for the real stuff.

lets get in contact a few weeks before the trip and make some appointments.
Thx for your reply so far! I'm looking forward to meet you.

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 9:37 Quote
Great info I am planning a trip to boulder too in june !!

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 15:02 Quote
Hey if you swing through colorado springs, I can give you some places that will not disappoint. Or if you want a guide at trestle, im up there quite a bit as well.

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 at 18:25 Quote
Keepiru,

I live next to Golden and I think that is some of the best riding in the Denver area - so that is a good option on either end of your trip.

The Horsetheif trail is near Loma, CO (just west of Fruita) - so I consider that the Loma area that I mentioned. It is an awesome trail and definitely worth doing. It is short but there are lots of trails there so you can link-up a longer loop. The "More Fun" trail in that area is also really fun as is Mary's Loop. The Horsetheif drop in is extremely hard to ride without some trials skills - usually i just walk the bottom half (about 10 meters of trail) as I always am just wearing the half shell helmet and no pads.

Anyway, i am happy to provide more info if you need it - but i figured part of the adventure is the exploration!

Pat

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 at 23:04 Quote
Pat,

thx for the information!

Yes, exploration is part of the fun. But its also wise to do not the same misstakes other people did before and missing the best parts of an area where i'll most probably ride only once in my life. Smile

And: its more fun if you share a ride with locals who know the area and have some beers after the sport. so at the end its all abou win-win and using the resources you can get. At the end: the MTB-people usually are a really nice community (at least the most of us) and like to help each other. I do the same in my home area and guide people arround / share GPS-tracks.

We really look forward to our trip. It seems that it will get even better than the time in norcal. Smile

Posted: Mar 1, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
I agree with all the suggestions made so far. On the other side of the Elk Mountains from Crested Butte is the Roaring Fork Valley. Aspen is probably the town you would know in this area. Lots of great riding in this area. Big climbs, long descents and spectacular scenery. I'd be happy to take you on a ride if you make it up this way.

roaringfork

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 9:58 Quote
I will be doing a motorcycle trip July 11th to the 17th out of Denver. Planning to do a couple days pedaling too. Trail 401 in Crested butte is on the list, would anyone recommend Telluride for trails or anywhere in that general area?

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 11:00 Quote
A bit more than a month left until we fly over. Smile
We look forward to it.
So far it seems we will spend 3 days in the area arround golden, swing by to south WY to hit some trails with a local there, then to moab. on the way back we gonna spend some time in Fruita/GJ.
Anyone in the region of Fruita/GJ who likes to show us arround?

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 6:16 Quote
I live in Winter Park, which is in the high country an hour west of Denver. 2 lift assist bike parks within 15 minutes of each other, and some of the best singletrack XC I've ridden. I would gladly show you around some XC trails there, or show you a fun day at either resort if earning your turns at 9-10,000 feet above sea level becomes troublesome Smile Feel free to PM me.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 20:20 Quote
Stopping in Glenwood/Carbondale on the way to Fruita there's lots of great riding. Prince Creek in Carbondale is on BLM land so you can camp right where youre biking. Super fun singletrack. Mushroom rock is good too.

Breckenridge has some really good riding too. Spruce Creek for techy sub alpine riding, Blair Witch is one of the most fun single tracks ive ever ridden, peaks trail is great, V3 and the jumps/berms trail network are really fun too and they're literally right out of town. Aspen Alley has some steep singletrack too where you can link a bunch of trails together and even ride down an abandoned mine. You can ride the Colorado Trail from Breck to Keystone too.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011382
Mobile Version of Website