Snapped Giant Stance after 2 months

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Snapped Giant Stance after 2 months
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 2:51 Quote
photo
Bought this mid December to get me back in to riding, been riding Woburn Sands (lighter, less jumpy stuff) most weekends.
2014 new release frame so took a gamble in purchasing it without any reviews.

Looks like the gamble was a crap one.
Riding to the local bike shop, on the crank which would not stay tight under any circumstance, to pick up a new seat post QR (due to the Giant original unit snapping in the cold weather) I hopped down into a speed hump, when all of a sudden the wheel folds over and the bike ground to a halt with a clean snapped chainstay.

photo

At this point Giant have offered me as little as a swingarm/chainstay replacement.
Am I right in not being happy with this? I've voiced my concerns, saying, if the bike is advertised as 'Singletrack sensat ion', surely it should stand up to some harder riding than what I've thrown at it, I won't feel comfortable hitting singletrack at Woburn/Chicksands knowing my last frame snapped riding around town.

The snap was not on the weld, it was about half an inch down.

I've heard good things about customer service from Giant, but still waiting to see them find a working solution for me, as so far, other than offering me a courtesy bike after I asked for one, they have done nothing to make me feel at ease.

Store in question is Giant Normanton (Rutland water South shore). Customer service in getting the bike picked and purchased- brilliant.
Then things went downhill, and not in the good mtb way.

Picked up the bike, nothing set up, felt as if it had been threw together then 'on to the next one', no offer of having it set to my weight etc.
No air in shock
No air in fork
Bars/Brakes and Gears also left at strange angles

I know I'm having a moan, but, especially after the crank and frame issues, I'm fed up, on the 3.9 mile journey to work I was having to stop once or twice each way, to tighten the crank. I'd tried a torque wrench, loctite, and a few other things. Threads didnt seem damaged either.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:43 Quote
I've sone a few warranty claims and they will only replace the part that is broken. As for a loan bike, I have never even thought to ask for one nor expect one. I have had a warren to replacement from giant and they where great. They even found me a frame located in Europe and got it sent over in a week.
As for the set up issues, it not except able to leave stuff loose and all over the place but at the same time the angle of lever etc is personal.

As for the frame breaking it might just be a one off bad chain stay and/or the chainstay was probably damaged before the day of the break

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:45 Quote
Have you phoned giant directly? Might be worth a try

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 14:40 Quote
demo8dave wrote:
Have you phoned giant directly? Might be worth a try

Yeah bud, spoken today, they still dont know what theyre replacing (whole frame or just the one part).

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 10:33 Quote
I've had to do a few warranty claims and I'm currently going through another at the moment.

They will only replace the part in question nothing more, The best you can hope for is they replace the part in a timely manner and as it was before.

With yours being a rarely recent bike you shouldnt have a problem but they aren't even obliged to replace it with the correct colour part as long as it's correct for the bike you could end up with a chain stay off a different model

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 at 3:27 Quote
If I get a different part I will be walking out with nothing and telling them to f*ck the bike

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 at 14:41 Quote
My friend broke his rear triangle within a couple weeks of buying a stance but I think his was more on the dropout end. They warranted it no problem though.

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 11:19 Quote
Exactly the same thing has just happened to my Giant Stance. 2 months old. Snapped clean along the weld line on the right stay behind the front chainring. I'm waiting to hear back

I only ride easy cross country but lots of hill climbs. I'm 70k in and heading up the Tumble in Abergavenny and same thing. Lost rear stability. Thought it was just a skewer needed tightening but boy was I wrong!

I'll let u know how I get on. I'm ringing Giant tomo. Not the shop

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 14:23 Quote
Ah man, so maybe not just me being rough to it the first two months I owned it, maybe its a dodgy design haha.
They replaced mine with a yellow/white stance frame and swapped other parts onto that, which I swapped within the week for a Marin quake and here I am now, with, a bike that I trust Smile

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 16:56 Quote
What u mean bro? They gave u different colour or different parts?

What's a Marin quake? I'm confused. I just want mine replaced. If it's a new bike they should have tonnes of replacement parts in right colour etc right? I won't be happy unless it's like for like

As for ur new part ur happy with? How that come about and why u happier? Any info very helpful to me ahead of my fonecall

Thx bro

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 0:41 Quote
jaysimp93 wrote:
Ah man, so maybe not just me being rough to it the first two months I owned it, maybe its a dodgy design haha.
They replaced mine with a yellow/white stance frame and swapped other parts onto that, which I swapped within the week for a Marin quake and here I am now, with, a bike that I trust Smile

At least they didn't try giving you yellow/white chainstay and gave you a full frame.

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 1:48 Quote
They gave me a whole different colour scheme, but of course I wasnt happy, hence swapping the Stance on here for the Marin.
The Giant terms say they can replace the part, it doesn't necessarily have to be a certain colour if I remember correctly.

It was a new frame with my old parts on, in any circumstance though I would not be happy riding a frame that I know I am capable of snapping just riding through the town, hence swapping and moving on.

Giant Normanton was the store I dealt with, the thing that really annoyed me was the fact they expected me to go a week with no bike. Not possible when you do 10-20 miles a day.
I asked for a 'courtesy' bike, and had to pay for the honours, they said on returm of the bike I would be given my deposit back...Still waiting.

Thanks Giant

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 2:48 Quote
In the last 2 years I've spent at least 6 months with no bike waiting on warranty claims.
The majority of that being for reverb stealth seatposts which seem to be like hens teeth to get hold of in the U.K.

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 4:30 Quote
You sent your whole bike back to wait for a seat post? Could have had a load of extra riding if you just bought a £20 seat post Facepalm Razz

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 4:56 Quote
With it having internal routing the all the fork and bb etc has to be removed to get it out.

They strung me along for ages, I would phone up and they said "it will be here in 2 weeks" so to save hastle I left the bike with them. And I kept on going like that for about 2 months until I got f'd off and took the bike back.

Then the same thing happened when the new reverb broke as well.

Found myself just spending the time on the road bike improving my fitness.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011512
Mobile Version of Website