Snapped Giant Stance after 2 months

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Snapped Giant Stance after 2 months
Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 8:15 Quote
I stumbled across this board looking for a chainstay protector for my Stance, but am now curious if this is still an issue with the Stance in its current version?

I bought this about a month or so ago now, I haven't had any trouble with it yet, and typically I do a mixture of up and down (I live in Rhondda, and there are some good down hill bits if you explore some).

The reason I ask is because a lot of people in the thread have mentioned 2015 models, but as this is a 2016 model, I just wondered if there was still an issue. I'm keen to avoid injuries where possible Confused

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 8:34 Quote
As far as I know all they did was move a cable tie lug but nothing new design wise.

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 19:20 Quote
jaevans36 wrote:
I stumbled across this board looking for a chainstay protector for my Stance, but am now curious if this is still an issue with the Stance in its current version?

I bought this about a month or so ago now, I haven't had any trouble with it yet, and typically I do a mixture of up and down (I live in Rhondda, and there are some good down hill bits if you explore some).

The reason I ask is because a lot of people in the thread have mentioned 2015 models, but as this is a 2016 model, I just wondered if there was still an issue. I'm keen to avoid injuries where possible Confused

I have heared of new models (the green one) doing exactly the same. Glad i changed to The Anthem. Just in a different league

Posted: Jul 15, 2016 at 1:25 Quote
Shauntheshanks wrote:
jaevans36 wrote:

I have heared of new models (the green one) doing exactly the same. Glad i changed to The Anthem. Just in a different league

Ah, that's not the answer I was hoping for Cry , I'll contact Tredz and see what they say.

Thanks for responding, by the way.

Posted: Jul 15, 2016 at 4:20 Quote
Just ride within the limits of this knowledge and keep an eye on it. Are you new to mountain biking.?.
If so use this bike to cut your teeth on it and then upgrade in the future.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 5:30 Quote
stubb wrote:
Just ride within the limits of this knowledge and keep an eye on it. Are you new to mountain biking.?.
If so use this bike to cut your teeth on it and then upgrade in the future.

Yeah, fairly new - been riding for a couple of months now, just getting used to the local trails. Planning to upgrade at some point after I get married (in 201Cool , so a little way off yet. My hope was the bike would last me until then.

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 9:27 Quote
I had two replacements in a year. Interestingly each time it snapped was doing the same thing. Sustained climbing. Fair play i put a few thousand miles into the frames as i mainly ride big mileage XC stuff but they should have coped with that
Each time it snapped, and orhers have said the same was on prolonged sustained climbing. I had it go on climbs where i was in the saddle climbing for over an hour at a time. Not sure maybe that with the shock compressed fully over that length of time over steep long climbs that the weld point couldnt handle the sustained flex put on it? Im not sure? Perhaps its ok with on/off flexing over short periods etc but doesnt like that amount of sustained flex with shock compressed. It never seemed to give issues on rides where i was on / off saddle and mixing up the riding etc
Not sure what other peoples thoughts are on this

As for contacting Tredz? They wont be able to help you one bit as they arexa dealer and not able to fight your corner for you
You have to deal directly with Giant. No other way to get it sorted if you want anything other than a replacement rear triangle
They will tell you they dont have an issue with them but have "beefed up" the rear triangle now. Kind of a contradiction in terms there. They will try to push a replacement into you but if you read back on my posts and check my email i sent you are within your rights to get a full refund on it. Tell them you want an upgrade if it fails because they wont guarantee the next one wont. When i told them i would sue them for damages if the 3rd one they were offering me will fail (and it will) they simply asked what i wanted. I said a full refund where is buy an anthem frame or they could just give me an Anthem. Fair play they offered me The Anthem straight away. They wont give you a rear shock with it but all parts other than the monarch shock will go straight over onto the Anthem frame. The Monarch shocks eye to eye measurement is too big cos its a 120mm travel so for the price of a new shock i got a bike with proven Maestro rear linkage and kissed goodbye to the Flexpoint crap forever. The difference in quality of build and ride isnt even in the same league
If your in Rhondda ud suggest hitting the Rhigos everyday to cave in your chainstay lol. Get an Anthem! Lol
Btw im an Ebbw lad and bike lots your way and Afan n Beacons everyday so if your ever looking for a blast hit me up bro. Good luck with the riding ????

Posted: Jul 22, 2016 at 3:10 Quote
I have had mine for about 9 months now and have been keeping a close eye on it and haven't had any troubles yet with pretty decent flogging. I have noticed that when I removed the rear wheel lately the chain stays flex out a bit. nothing major maybe a 1/4 inch and the QR clamps sucks it back in when I put the wheel on. Will update if I break it.

Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 23:28 Quote
I just broke mine

Posted: Aug 2, 2016 at 4:24 Quote
Follow the above advice bro. Get it changed. It will break again

Posted: Sep 4, 2016 at 10:56 Quote
I didn't fully crack mine nor was it in the same spot. Folded it up pretty good though right here. The dropouts separate over and inch when I loosen the skewer. Dealer wasn't at all interested in filing a warranty claim. should I just hammer on it and finish it off or push the issue a little more?

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 23:47 Quote
You mean the rear chainstays spring apart a bit from each other when qr is released? It will have flex there though?

Posted: Oct 9, 2016 at 15:28 Quote
Shauntheshanks wrote:
You mean the rear chainstays spring apart a bit from each other when qr is released? It will have flex there though?

Yes, they spring apart when the skewer is released. by a fair amount. I have to tighten the skewer a few times to kind of ratchet it in.

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 0:32 Quote
Depends on how much you mean by "quite a bit". The skewer should tighten it down but you could just take ut into any bike shop to check if yours is normal. It probably is. Check some other bikss etc

Posted: Nov 8, 2016 at 12:01 Quote
I have a stance currently, and rode it daily on every bike trail in fort Collins and at places all over Colorado, like winter park (trestle). I was at a skate park just riding off a about 3 foot drop and I hit the ground and my back tire locked up. I went back to look at it and I noticed my cable got caught in my tire and my tire was rubbing the chain stay and seat stay. Then I noticed the chain stay had cracked clean in two. This sucked because I had to walk back to my house and I was without a bike. The time I took walking back made me think, what if I had been riding on a technical trail and that would have snapped? I could have been really far back in the mountains bike packing, no reception and no quick way back, that would have sucked. I personally think giant should recall the chain stay and have people get them replaced before this happens to someone. I really would like a full refund for this bike, It has cost me hundreds of dollars worth of new parts. I have put a lot of work into it and I am very disappointed. It would have been better to just save up a bit more money and get a lighter, stiffer, stronger bike. In the end this bike did get me more attached to biking and provided lots of fun and helped me learn how to fix almost everything on the bike and at least I didn't die because of the bikeBlank Stare .

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023507
Mobile Version of Website