Enduro hardtail or Enduro FS

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro hardtail or Enduro FS
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 14:47 Quote
Im planning on getting an expensive bike which Im gonna ride for a long time but I cant decide on getting an Enduro HT or FS.Im looking forward into buying the Commencal Meta HT and the Meta V4 but I feel getting an fs would be better since I wanna go fast on rough terrain but on the other hand I would like a good hardtail since Im gonna ride on road and Its also gonna help me with my budget.

Commencal Meta HT Race:http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=14531347

Commencal Meta V4:http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=14495041

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 17:04 Quote
If I were to only have one bike it would be a hardtail, I love riding my 6" FS bike, but every time i go for a ride, ive always got more of an itch to ride my hardtail for some reason, I think its just more rewarding, simple and pure feeling.
my hardtail is a 26" with a 150mm fork. If I were to do it again id go for a 29er with a 120-140 fork, ROS 9 probably.

On smooth flowy bermy trails its the most fun you can have on a bike. so long as it isnt super rocky its about as quick as any "enduro" bike. but the 26" wheels get hung up a lot when it gets rocky. way more than a 26" FS bike. if you are in the mood and feel like bombing it through gnarly chunky terrain, its fun because its so damn hectic, but pretty sketchy, and slow. I think the combination of 29" wheels, slack HA, and a long travel fork is the best if you're looking for an enduro hardtail.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 17:11 Quote
So you're saying that with a hardtail you find It more enjoyable/fun

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 17:17 Quote
Mystic17 wrote:
So you're saying that with a hardtail you find It more enjoyable/fun

Hard to say if its more enjoyable, just saying I have more desire to ride it. my FS bike is still fun as hell.

Its like a lambo vs a go kart, totally different experience but both really fun.

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 14:35 Quote
Anybody else wanna give their opinion here?I still cant decide Big Grin

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 15:32 Quote
Not sure if it helps however I'm picking up a Meta HT at the end of March.

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 16:43 Quote
I went from a HT to a trance and last year to a rallon, I though about another HT before i bought the rallon but I don't think my back would take it. I'm 43 and where we ride has a good bit of technical and rocky sections. 1 of the guys rides a HT all the time and loves it says it's not so easy to pedal through rougher trails and another uses a HT when it's wet and the going is slower.

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 19:31 Quote
Neither bike is going to do everything you want. Trying to have 1 bike as a do it all doesn't work. Even with the HT at the very least you'll need a second set of wheels with road rubber on them, as you'd destroy your trail tires on pavement.

Get the right bike for the trails you ride. If you need something for the road as well, get a cheap gravel grinder as a second bike.

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 20:48 Quote
Good question and it's pretty hard to answer really. As your riding skills improve the type of bike you want to ride will also change.
I started on a 26er HT sold that bought a FS Enduro, sold that about bought a Moonlander fat bike( so much fun to ride) sold that and now I have a 29er HT trail/Enduro bike. I love it but I am starting to think about going back to FS (transition smuggler is calling my name). As I said as your skills change so will your bike choice.

Ride as many bikes as you can. This will at least give you a idea on how each type will ride and feel. There is no rush take your time and read up on everything.

Main thing is have fun.

Smiles per Miles. Is what it is about. Smile

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 1:50 Quote
The main reason Im asking the question is because of my budget,If I had no problem with money I wouldnt change my mind and go for the FS

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 22:03 Quote
Mystic17 wrote:
The main reason Im asking the question is because of my budget,If I had no problem with money I wouldnt change my mind and go for the FS

I'll chime in again..

I'd much rather ride a great quality hardtail vs average quality FS bike. for 3-4k you can build a pretty f-ing awesome hardtail but that wont get you anything special at all for a FS bike.

and for your one single bike, a hardtail is definitely the better choice. I'll ride my hardtail 10 miles to the trailhead, do a 2 hour ride with XC terrain and some gnarly DH-ish stuff, and bike back the 10 miles on the road again, and the thing handles it all great. I tried that once on my FS and just had a shitty time. You know a hardtail will be able to do EVERYTHING pretty well, while a FS bike can do certain aspects very well.

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 23:04 Quote
pippin wrote:
Mystic17 wrote:

I'll chime in again..

I'd much rather ride a great quality hardtail vs average quality FS bike. for 3-4k you can build a pretty f-ing awesome hardtail but that wont get you anything special at all for a FS bike.

and for your one single bike, a hardtail is definitely the better choice. I'll ride my hardtail 10 miles to the trailhead, do a 2 hour ride with XC terrain and some gnarly DH-ish stuff, and bike back the 10 miles on the road again, and the thing handles it all great. I tried that once on my FS and just had a shitty time. You know a hardtail will be able to do EVERYTHING pretty well, while a FS bike can do certain aspects very well.

My next bike is based on this answer

Posted: Feb 15, 2015 at 4:07 Quote
pippin wrote:

umm you can get an AL capra 1 for 3200 bucks so. For around 4k you can get a pretty amazing FS bike, and considering good aluminum frames are only a pound heavier than their CF brothers, i'd hardly call that average.

Conversely i'd say for the price of a really good HT you can build a pretty sweet FS rig Wink

Posted: Feb 15, 2015 at 5:04 Quote
Definately not going for the capra.I'll have to see my budget in 2-3 months and see if I can afford the Meta V4.If not,Im goin for the hardtail

Posted: Feb 16, 2015 at 2:10 Quote
I have the am v4 fs. It is awesome. In lock mode it rides like a HT, but then you have the full benefits on trail/dh. I personally wouldn't want to be riding a hardtail fast over sketchy rock gardens, roots....

Picked up the race version for 3500 Euro so its not out of your budget.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022347
Mobile Version of Website