Hardcore Hardtail 26" Cotic BFe Build

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Hardcore Hardtail 26" Cotic BFe Build
O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2016 at 4:15 Quote
slaker wrote:
I like how your cotic turned out,I was wondering what travel is your fork and want your bottom bracket height from ground to center is if you don't mind sharing, I have been thinking of building a 26 am ht, I want to use a 140 pos fork that I already have and prefer my bb height. to be at least 12.75 inches (32.38cm) this may help me in choosing a frame, thanks
Luke29er wrote:
photo

More to follow.....
bb is fairly high on the 26 bfe. i think bb drop is a better way of exchanging information about frame geometry. 0mm drop to 15mm drop running 160 or 120 on a 26 bfe. rough estimates.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2016 at 4:23 Quote
a 27.5 bfe with 140mm 26in setup would give 33mm sagged bb drop (25mm unsagged?). headtube to ground measurement: 120mm with 275 fork/wheel = 140mm 26in fork/wheel. hence many aggressive 275 run with 120-140mm & not 160mm to keep similar ride characteristics/geo to 26in frames.

Posted: Feb 8, 2016 at 7:21 Quote
ok,well I usually just measure from the floor to the center of bb and it gives me a good indication.I like my bb to be preferably just under 13".... around 32 to 33 cm from ground to center while bike is unsagged .I know to high bb can change ride characteristics, if I do build up a 26er with this fork I'm just trying to get an idea where by bb will be, that is off the ground.Thanks.

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 at 10:12 Quote
That's a great looking bike. Nice build!

I've been looking at doing build on a 26 Evil Sovereign for AM/trails. Love seeing these AM 26er HT builds.

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 at 10:21 Quote
DPW1 wrote:
That's a great looking bike. Nice build!

I've been looking at doing build on a 26 Evil Sovereign for AM/trails. Love seeing these AM 26er HT builds.
Yes, I hope the wheel size doesn't go away.... I want to see 26 bikes make a comeback.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 3:12 Quote
slaker wrote:
ok,well I usually just measure from the floor to the center of bb and it gives me a good indication.I like my bb to be preferably just under 13".... around 32 to 33 cm from ground to center while bike is unsagged .I know to high bb can change ride characteristics, if I do build up a 26er with this fork I'm just trying to get an idea where by bb will be, that is off the ground.Thanks.
if you also measure the rear axle you can work out the drop easily as its only couple cms. that way you can guage it against the geo charts where they state the bb drop in mm. if you know exactly how much bb drop you have you can compare it to the geo charts & determine the approximate to a few mm the bb drop with any given wheel/fork setup.

So for instance... when you drop the fork down 10mm that will also drop the bb by around 4mm because the bb axle is not quite in the centre between the wheels but approx 4/10ths towards the rear wheel depending on the frame.

also consider there is a 25mm bead seat diameter difference when comparing 26in to 27.5 rim. a 27.5 axle will be 12.5mm higher than a 26in axle if you were to stand 2 identical rim 26 & 27.5 wheels on the ground. hence 26in bb drop is normally anywhere between 10-30mm while 27.5 bb drop is around 25-45.

hope that helps keep 26 alive & good luck in the search!

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
Woah. Long time update. Still own this bike. Haven't ridden it half as much as it deserves over the years, it's mostly been collecting dust deep at the back of my garage. I dusted it off for lockdown and stuck on a couple of Conti Double Fighters for riding it round town whilst the Mrs rode my city bike. I've just built her up a nice Orange Clockwork 29er and gone back to tubeless tyre setup with Conti Mountain King/X King front/rear. We took a trip out last weekend to Swinley forest for her intro. Hopefully I can keep her interested enough to visit some trails with me until I find some riding buddies.

COVID-19

COVID-19

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 15:22 Quote
cackhandluke wrote:
Woah. Long time update. Still own this bike. Haven't ridden it half as much as it deserves over the years, it's mostly been collecting dust deep at the back of my garage. I dusted it off for lockdown and stuck on a couple of Conti Double Fighters for riding it round town whilst the Mrs rode my city bike. I've just built her up a nice Orange Clockwork 29er and gone back to tubeless tyre setup with Conti Mountain King/X King front/rear. We took a trip out last weekend to Swinley forest for her intro. Hopefully I can keep her interested enough to visit some trails with me until I find some riding buddies.

COVID-19

COVID-19

nice looking bike bro! Glad you've still got it! I'm just building mine up again after a similar period of disuse.

sadly not down swinley way oft otherwise id offer to ride with you!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025996
Mobile Version of Website