The 650B GT Sanction Thread

PB Forum :: GT
The 650B GT Sanction Thread
Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 9:14 Quote
hey guys,

this is my gt sanction i built up and im loving everything about it!
it is the pro version in medium and im about 5'8", fits perfectly.

specs:
Fox 36 float fork 170mm
Fox float CTD (remote) with Vorsprung corset sleeve
Renthal Fatbar carbon on Renthal stem 40mm
Shimano XTR crankset
Xt rear derailleur
Sunrace Cassette 11-42
Sram Guide RSC brakeset (203F/180R)
Easton Arc 30 rims, Hope pro 4 hubs
Magic Mary front and Maxxis HR2 TR rear
KS Lev DX dropper
One up component chain device

P.S.
Special thanks to Rapha (raometto) for the dogbone link upgrade I purchased from him! very much recommended!
photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
limestumpy wrote:
Hey Verbl!

I'm actually planning on thinning out the herd and looking at the 2017 Sanction Expert to be my "one bike to rule them all". It will be replacing my 2015 Spesh Demo 8I and 2016 Spesh Stumpy Carbon Expert 650b and was wondering if you could perhaps confirm if I wouldn't be making a monumental mistake with the Sanction.

First off, I'm just about 5'7" in height, should I get small or medium, I understand it runs large? Second, I read it doesn't climb as well as it descends & I really don't expect it climb like the Stumpy but I'm hoping it's not as bad as some of the reviews out there, perhaps this years Monarch Plus Debonair changed that a bit? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey, limestumpy!

I'm 5'6" without shoes on and I ride a size small but with a 50mm stem (instead of the recommended 35mm). I used to ride a medium Norco AM bike.

And, yes, it definitely doesn't climb as good as the Stumpy. However, with a climb switch on the rear shock and a lowered front fork (I have a dual position Pike), it will be a lot better on the ascents. Without a climb switch, it would be best to spin your way to the top as opposed to off the saddle mashing as pedal bob is to be expected.

The bike is definitely a brawler and is more of a gravity machine than the Stumpy. It will even be better and more precise on smoother DH trails (like bike parks) than the Demo. However, you probably won't be able to plow it as much as a Demo on really technical courses, you will need to be a bit more cognizant of proper line choice. Another factor here is that the Sanction is a lot lighter than the Demo, so you need to keep that in mind as you might end up overdoing obstacles like jumps.

In short, I don't think you are doing a monumental mistake with the Sanction. Smile

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 19:53 Quote
Wow Deebee4 !!!

Great bike !!!

What are your impressions about the Corset sleeve ?? Wich are your shock settings ??

Congratulations for your bike !!

Cheers

Rapha

deebee4 wrote:
hey guys,

specs:
Fox 36 float fork 170mm
Shimano XTR crankset
Xt rear derailleur
Sunrace Cassette 11-42
KS Lev DX dropper

P.S.
Special thanks to Rapha (raometto) for the dogbone link upgrade I purchased from him! very much recommended!
photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 2:21 Quote
deebee4 wrote:
hey guys,

specs:
Fox 36 float fork 170mm
Shimano XTR crankset
Xt rear derailleur
Sunrace Cassette 11-42
KS Lev DX dropper

P.S.
photo
photo
photo
photo

what's the benefits of raometto's dogbone?

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 7:29 Quote
raometto wrote:
Wow Deebee4 !!!

Great bike !!!

What are your impressions about the Corset sleeve ?? Wich are your shock settings ??

Congratulations for your bike !!

Cheers

Rapha

deebee4 wrote:
hey guys,

specs:
Fox 36 float fork 170mm
Shimano XTR crankset
Xt rear derailleur
Sunrace Cassette 11-42
KS Lev DX dropper

P.S.
photo
photo
photo
photo

Hey rapha!
Thanks bro!
The dogbone is really magnificent! Compared to how the linkage worked before, now with the dogbone you made is just a lot lot better! And coupled with the corset sleeve, they are very well matched! Initial sensitivity and bump compliance are greatly benefitted! I've got the third (middle) vol spacer installed on the shock to prevent bottom out as the sanction has linear suspension rate.

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 7:37 Quote
Mironas wrote:
deebee4 wrote:
hey guys,

specs:
Fox 36 float fork 170mm
Shimano XTR crankset
Xt rear derailleur
Sunrace Cassette 11-42
KS Lev DX dropper

P.S.
photo
photo
photo
photo

Hey bro,

Suspension actuation is a lot smoother, you got bearings instead of the bushings similar to the ones used in shock eyelets...better serviceability as you have the nipple for grease gun...
Try this: uninstall your shock from the frame and cycle the suspension linkage, see how tight it is? Then try to remove the original dogbone so it's just the main pivot bearings are holding the rear end to the main frame, that's the same smoothness you get with rapha's dogbone upgrade.

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 10:46 Quote
deebee4 wrote:
Hey bro,

Suspension actuation is a lot smoother, you got bearings instead of the bushings similar to the ones used in shock eyelets...better serviceability as you have the nipple for grease gun...
Try this: uninstall your shock from the frame and cycle the suspension linkage, see how tight it is? Then try to remove the original dogbone so it's just the main pivot bearings are holding the rear end to the main frame, that's the same smoothness you get with rapha's dogbone upgrade.

Hey deebee4,

Nice bike. I am upgrading mine at the moment and I also got the dogbone from Rapha. One thing I want to ask, did you install the washers that Rapha sent to both sides? I can only see one side from your photos and the installed washer seems thick. I had to make the washers much much thinner so they could fit on both sides.

I will appreciate if you can upload some photos. Maybe my frame has too little clearance there.

Cheers

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 10:50 Quote
limestumpy wrote:

Hey Verbl!

I'm actually planning on thinning out the herd and looking at the 2017 Sanction Expert to be my "one bike to rule them all". It will be replacing my 2015 Spesh Demo 8I and 2016 Spesh Stumpy Carbon Expert 650b and was wondering if you could perhaps confirm if I wouldn't be making a monumental mistake with the Sanction.

First off, I'm just about 5'7" in height, should I get small or medium, I understand it runs large? Second, I read it doesn't climb as well as it descends & I really don't expect it climb like the Stumpy but I'm hoping it's not as bad as some of the reviews out there, perhaps this years Monarch Plus Debonair changed that a bit? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey limestumpy,

I am just about 5'8" and I ride the Medium. I think that will fit your height too -if- you have a tall inseam. The only problem I am having with the Medium geometry is the seat tube (seat height) is a little high. So I got a 125mm 9point8 dropper to keep it as low as possible while maintaining a 125 drop.

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 12:42 Quote
magiko9 wrote:
deebee4 wrote:
Hey bro,

Hey deebee4,

Nice bike. I am upgrading mine at the moment and I also got the dogbone from Rapha. One thing I want to ask, did you install the washers that Rapha sent to both sides? I can only see one side from your photos and the installed washer seems thick. I had to make the washers much much thinner so they could fit on both sides.

I will appreciate if you can upload some photos. Maybe my frame has too little clearance there.

Cheers

Yup I used them on both sides as there was enough clearance on my frame due to the old ones that dug a bit into the linkage/dogbone housing...

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 13:30 Quote
deebee4 wrote:
Yup I used them on both sides as there was enough clearance on my frame due to the old ones that dug a bit into the linkage/dogbone housing...

Thanks for the reply. Wink

If you will have time, can you please send some photos from the dogbone and alignment of the front rear triangles from a bottom p.o.view?

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 0:56 Quote
deebee4 wrote:
magiko9 wrote:
deebee4 wrote:
Hey bro,

Hey deebee4,

Cheers

Hello magiko9,
I have also rapha custom dogbone,
And like you, I can't install the washers to both sides. But I have install only one 0,5mm nylon washer.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 5:01 Quote
deebee4 wrote:
Mironas wrote:
deebee4 wrote:
hey guys,

specs:
Fox 36 float fork 170mm
Shimano XTR crankset
Xt rear derailleur
Sunrace Cassette 11-42
KS Lev DX dropper

P.S.
photo
photo
photo
photo

Hey bro,

Yes i have notice how tight is and i wander if is right..

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 9:26 Quote
So where can this dog bone link be bought from?

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 13:54 Quote
bbsh51 wrote:
Hello magiko9,
I have also rapha custom dogbone,
And like you, I can't install the washers to both sides. But I have install only one 0,5mm nylon washer.

Hey mate,

Thanks for this info. I installed the washers on both sides but they are really thin (about 0.15mm). I thought maybe it was a problem with my frame but it obviously isn't.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 22:34 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
limestumpy wrote:
Hey Verbl!

Thanks!

Hey, limestumpy!

I'm 5'6" without shoes on and I ride a size small but with a 50mm stem (instead of the recommended 35mm). I used to ride a medium Norco AM bike.

And, yes, it definitely doesn't climb as good as the Stumpy. However, with a climb switch on the rear shock and a lowered front fork (I have a dual position Pike), it will be a lot better on the ascents. Without a climb switch, it would be best to spin your way to the top as opposed to off the saddle mashing as pedal bob is to be expected.

The bike is definitely a brawler and is more of a gravity machine than the Stumpy. It will even be better and more precise on smoother DH trails (like bike parks) than the Demo. However, you probably won't be able to plow it as much as a Demo on really technical courses, you will need to be a bit more cognizant of proper line choice. Another factor here is that the Sanction is a lot lighter than the Demo, so you need to keep that in mind as you might end up overdoing obstacles like jumps.

In short, I don't think you are doing a monumental mistake with the Sanction. Smile

Thanks for the response. Pardon the "monumental mistake" bit, didn't mean to sound so skeptical haha!

Anyhow, pulled the trigger on a size small thanks to your advice...can't wait! Ordered the XT 11-46 cassette too in case I need help in spinning steep climbs. I have a stealth reverb 125/380mm dropper lying around the garage, I understand that's what you have on yours? Any clearance issues?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040866
Mobile Version of Website