The 650B GT Sanction Thread

PB Forum :: GT
The 650B GT Sanction Thread
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 22:44 Quote
magiko9 wrote:
limestumpy wrote:

Hey Verbl!

I'm actually planning on thinning out the herd and looking at the 2017 Sanction Expert to be my "one bike to rule them all". It will be replacing my 2015 Spesh Demo 8I and 2016 Spesh Stumpy Carbon Expert 650b and was wondering if you could perhaps confirm if I wouldn't be making a monumental mistake with the Sanction.

First off, I'm just about 5'7" in height, should I get small or medium, I understand it runs large? Second, I read it doesn't climb as well as it descends & I really don't expect it climb like the Stumpy but I'm hoping it's not as bad as some of the reviews out there, perhaps this years Monarch Plus Debonair changed that a bit? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey limestumpy,

I am just about 5'8" and I ride the Medium. I think that will fit your height too -if- you have a tall inseam. The only problem I am having with the Medium geometry is the seat tube (seat height) is a little high. So I got a 125mm 9point8 dropper to keep it as low as possible while maintaining a 125 drop.

Hey Magiko,

Thanks for the input on the seat height, ordered a small and will probably slap on a 50mm stem like Verb suggested. I usually ride a medium since my height is always in the cusp between small & medium sizes but I prefer a shorter cockpit.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 11:36 Quote
limestumpy wrote:

Thanks for the response. Pardon the "monumental mistake" bit, didn't mean to sound so skeptical haha!

Anyhow, pulled the trigger on a size small thanks to your advice...can't wait! Ordered the XT 11-46 cassette too in case I need help in spinning steep climbs. I have a stealth reverb 125/380mm dropper lying around the garage, I understand that's what you have on yours? Any clearance issues?

Congrats on the purchase! I have the non-stealth reverb with the same exact lengths as your stealth. You might need to be creative with the cable placement tho as it may snag the rear shock coming from the seat tube.

Getting the 11-46 is a good choice, that would be perfect with a 32t or 34t ring. You might want to put a bit of emphasis on getting a good chainguide and some sensible chainstay protection, since the frame is essentially a single-pivot design and will be prone to chain slap. Shimano has a better clutch than SRAM atm so you might have a quieter bike than mine. Hehe.

This weekend will be a blast for ya. Enjoy!

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 13:55 Quote
wrote:
wrote:

Congrats on the purchase! I have the non-stealth reverb with the same exact lengths as your stealth. You might need to be creative with the cable placement tho as it may snag the rear shock coming from the seat tube.

Getting the 11-46 is a good choice, that would be perfect with a 32t or 34t ring. You might want to put a bit of emphasis on getting a good chainguide and some sensible chainstay protection, since the frame is essentially a single-pivot design and will be prone to chain slap. Shimano has a better clutch than SRAM atm so you might have a quieter bike than mine. Hehe.

Maybe a couple of more weeks for me, we still have some snow. =)

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 23:26 Quote
limestumpy wrote:
Hey Magiko,

Thanks for the input on the seat height, ordered a small and will probably slap on a 50mm stem like Verb suggested. I usually ride a medium since my height is always in the cusp between small & medium sizes but I prefer a shorter cockpit.

Congrats! Hope you will enjoy it. I prefer a longer cockpit and am using the Medium with a 50 mm stem. I also prefer a shorter seat tube but that is not possible with the way Sanction is. Especially when using a stealth dropper. That is the only -not so good- part of the Sanction.

But again, if you prefer a shorter cockpit the S will be great for you because the seat tube will be shorter so you will have more adjustment options for the seat height.

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 4:58 Quote
My Bike for 2017, not complete finished. 36 Float and Float X2 are on the way.

GT Sanction 2017

GT Sanction 2017

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 8:22 Quote
jaymetalhammer wrote:
My Bike for 2017, not complete finished. 36 Float and Float X2 are on the way.

GT Sanction 2017

GT Sanction 2017

Very nice mate, even better once the fox sus is on. Upload a pic afterwards

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 11:33 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
limestumpy wrote:

Thanks for the response. Pardon the "monumental mistake" bit, didn't mean to sound so skeptical haha!

Anyhow, pulled the trigger on a size small thanks to your advice...can't wait! Ordered the XT 11-46 cassette too in case I need help in spinning steep climbs. I have a stealth reverb 125/380mm dropper lying around the garage, I understand that's what you have on yours? Any clearance issues?

Built mine up over the weekend.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 2:50 Quote
Hey guys, I need an advice. I plan to take my bike in a plane but I don't really know what kind of bag would be better to buy, some guys say that it's quite enough to have regular bag, without solid shell, but I don't know, is somebody traveling with the sanction? Can you recommend me the bag? Thanks!

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 8:32 Quote
I've never traveled with my bike but my boss does all the time and he has had his frame broken twice even with a solid shelled frame bag. The first time, he left the rear axle out so his rear triangle got smashed. The second time, The same thing happened except the rear axle was in the bike so his drive-side chain and seat stays broke. Now he has a really burly bike bag with lots of protection and a solid shell.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 10:01 Quote
I traveled throughout New Zealand (including Fiji) for 6+ months with my bike in a cardboard box.

I had no problems whatsoever. Just be careful and thoughtful with packaging. It's not really that hard.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 9:21 Quote
i just have exactly the same issue !!, no answer at all from gt company

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 6:25 Quote
maurohard wrote:
i just have exactly the same issue !!, no answer at all from gt company

What is the issue?

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 12:08 Quote
jaymetalhammer wrote:
now with fox

oh yeah!!! Awesome build

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 15:01 Quote
jaymetalhammer wrote:
now with fox

Looks great. I just got the same absoluteBlack chainring myself.

How do you like those Mavic wheels? What is the inner width of those?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.042918
Mobile Version of Website