The 650B GT Sanction Thread

PB Forum :: GT
The 650B GT Sanction Thread
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Wondering what real owners of the Sanction could tell me... Other PB commenters love to hate on GT. There's a Peak edition for a price I'm not sure I can refuse, granted I get the money together. Only issue would be reviews say it's more of a mini-dh and isn't great on the climbs... Which is great at Whistler, bike parks, Rampage site area, etc, just like the old freeride bikes. Problem is I would like something pedal-able that I don't have to store until the odd shuttle/park day. For reference, I'm currently on a 2011 Marin Alpine Trail (100mm xc ish 29er hardtail), previously a Mongoose XR200 that bobbed and sucked energy like crazy, and I tried my friend's Stinky Deluxe once... It was crazy plush and bombproof, but pedaling it kills... I'm thinking the Sanction is more like the Stinky? Now, I don't need another hardtail-level sprite, but the more of that the nicer I suppose... i don't think I want a full dh bike. Trying to balance my bike for Rampage/Whistler pipedreams vs a more versatile usable practical bike. Or, if I can get the cash, get the Sanction, and swap the frame or resell at some point? Confused thanks everyone
I loved my gt sanction when it came to going down but on normal trail riding and climbing it was ok. I've sold it now and gone for a 160mm 29er and love it not as good at the dh but climbs way better and accelerate's and holds speed better on general trail riding. Suppose u gotta look at wha u ride and go from there.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
Basically I guess I'm trying to go between
A) I've only ridden short-travel(the mongoose)/rigid/xc hardtail before, so I can handle stuff on less travel and I'm accustomed to how that feels and behaves, so going for a more big trail/ all-mountain pedal bike couldn't hurt
B) I'm decently fit, so I would probably suffer less than some, so get a bruiser that can handle everything. Just not sure how far I should go towards this extreme; relatively uncharted territory here, and as mentioned I like "trail" rides of my own power.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
I ride the sanction from 2017 and i love it. All My friends have also enduro bike (capra patrol ecc) so we climb at the same speed. We go for local trail riding, sometimes we stay around for 50/60 km with 2000+ climb and also park riding (finale ligure livigno or paganella). Your fit its very important but a good pair of wheels are a good upgrade. I solved dogbone issues with a custom pieces that ive made last year. No more trouble. Go for the sanction if you like ride always 100%. Its Not made for quiet ride. Stay away from brakes and you will enjoy your sanction.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Wondering what real owners of the Sanction could tell me... Other PB commenters love to hate on GT. There's a Peak edition for a price I'm not sure I can refuse, granted I get the money together. Only issue would be reviews say it's more of a mini-dh and isn't great on the climbs... Which is great at Whistler, bike parks, Rampage site area, etc, just like the old freeride bikes. Problem is I would like something pedal-able that I don't have to store until the odd shuttle/park day. For reference, I'm currently on a 2011 Marin Alpine Trail (100mm xc ish 29er hardtail), previously a Mongoose XR200 that bobbed and sucked energy like crazy, and I tried my friend's Stinky Deluxe once... It was crazy plush and bombproof, but pedaling it kills... I'm thinking the Sanction is more like the Stinky? Now, I don't need another hardtail-level sprite, but the more of that the nicer I suppose... i don't think I want a full dh bike. Trying to balance my bike for Rampage/Whistler pipedreams vs a more versatile usable practical bike. Or, if I can get the cash, get the Sanction, and swap the frame or resell at some point? Confused thanks everyone

I have a peak edition Sanction. It's a really nice build and it makes the bike very light for what it is. My size medium comes in at 30lbs on the dot.

I'm of the opinion that it pedals very well for it's performance on the downhill. You definitely get a bit of pedal bob but it never feels too inefficient and still stays well composed. It's miles better than a Kona Stinky. As long as you are a fit rider then I don't think you will have too many issues with it. The only problem I have is that it feels kinda long on tight switchbacks but that's not really a huge deal.

I think it would be an excellent bike for your intended use.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:05 Quote
No worries. It climbs as good as you stay fit Wink I climbed technical stuff and lots of fireroads without problems. Its pedalabilty depends on the tyres especially the rear one.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
Anyone know of or selling one of those dogbone link upgrades within North America?

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
Don't know of any in North America but there is one guy in italy that sells them. They are really expensive though. Have you seen the early posts about the igus bushings? Put a pair of those in and the suspension will run smoothly.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 16:08 Quote
Bus69 wrote:
Anyone know of or selling one of those dogbone link upgrades within North America?

CXP racing from Auckland, NZ ships worldwide

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 16:56 Quote
rowanlewis wrote:
Don't know of any in North America but there is one guy in italy that sells them. They are really expensive though. Have you seen the early posts about the igus bushings? Put a pair of those in and the suspension will run smoothly.

Where did you pick up your bushings from? Do you happen to have a link? I peaked at the igus website and the shipping was a little ridiculous to canada...

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 20:29 Quote
The link is: https://www.igus.com/product/18

I just got them shipped to my house. Shipping is expensive but still a lot cheaper than buying
an entirely new dogbone. I would recommend getting a good few as they still don't last forever.

The size is GSM-1517-17 btw.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
Bus69 wrote:

I sell the dogbone upgrade. PM me for any info!

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
Does anyone else have a monarch plus rc3 on their bike? If so, what kind of pressure and how many volume spacers are you using. I can't seem to get mine to feel good no matter what I do.

Posted: May 29, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
rowanlewis wrote:
Does anyone else have a monarch plus rc3 on their bike? If so, what kind of pressure and how many volume spacers are you using. I can't seem to get mine to feel good no matter what I do.
i'm about 80kg with all the gears and i run my monarch with 3tokens and 195 psi!

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
So what is this dogbone thing problem everyone keeps talking about?

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 23:28 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
So what is this dogbone thing problem everyone keeps talking about?
This is the thing, nobody is talking about this problem anymore, because there is no problem =)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024234
Mobile Version of Website