The 650B GT Sanction Thread

PB Forum :: GT
The 650B GT Sanction Thread
| Next Page
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 13:23 Quote
Anyone else get a ticking noise under hard pedalling. I took apart the i-drive system and greased it and that fixed it for about a week but now it's back again.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 4:16 Quote
Hey guys,
Has anybody made a custom paint for the frame?

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
rowanlewis wrote:
Anyone else get a ticking noise under hard pedalling. I took apart the i-drive system and greased it and that fixed it for about a week but now it's back again.

Try removing main pivot pins clean and re grease. I find if crud gets in the retaining collars it can be noisy.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 1:23 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
So what is this dogbone thing problem everyone keeps talking about?

After some riding, if you dont clean it very well frequently, the original bushings may get stuck, so you may lose the initial suspension sensibility. Whe you pedal you may hear a quite high creak from the dogbone.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 1:38 Quote
Mironas wrote:
Hey guys,
Has anybody made a custom paint for the frame?

there's a custom painted one on this page

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=167811&pagenum=67

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
Rex636 wrote:
rowanlewis wrote:

Try removing main pivot pins clean and re grease. I find if crud gets in the retaining collars it can be noisy.

That's what I suspected. How do you remove the pivot pins? They seem pretty stuck in there.

Also is it just the smaller one or should I remove both?

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
rowanlewis wrote:
Rex636 wrote:
rowanlewis wrote:

That's what I suspected. How do you remove the pivot pins? They seem pretty stuck in there.

I usually do both at same time. Slacken retaining bolts remove the retaining rings and find a suitable socket to tap them out. They shouldn't be that hard to get out.
I renewed mine not long ago and kept the old ones so I could use them to tap the new ones out when they need cleaned.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
Rex636 wrote:
rowanlewis wrote:
Rex636 wrote:

I'll also add to make sure everything is properly aligned when you're putting back together.
I usually just fit everything loosely then check everything is aligned as I torque everything.

I usually do both at same time. Slacken retaining bolts remove the retaining rings and find a suitable socket to tap them out. They shouldn't be that hard to get out.
I renewed mine not long ago and kept the old ones so I could use them to tap the new ones out when they need cleaned.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
Rex636 wrote:
rowanlewis wrote:
Rex636 wrote:

Ok thanks, to me the larger one looks pretty well sealed off from dirt. Is there any reason for me to remove it in addition to the smaller one?

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 19:40 Quote
Just cleaned and greased both of the main pivots. Still the same old ticking noise.

One thing I did notice was that the bearings/bushings that rotate the pivots didn't feel smooth at all. They felt kind of scratchy. Wondering if that could be the culprit. That being said I don't think I'd be able to find replacememts anywhere even if it was.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
rowanlewis wrote:
Just cleaned and greased both of the main pivots. Still the same old ticking noise.

One thing I did notice was that the bearings/bushings that rotate the pivots didn't feel smooth at all. They felt kind of scratchy. Wondering if that could be the culprit. That being said I don't think I'd be able to find replacememts anywhere even if it was.

Easy bearings to get hold of mate.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
rowanlewis wrote:
Rex636 wrote:
rowanlewis wrote:

Ok thanks, to me the larger one looks pretty well sealed off from dirt. Is there any reason for me to remove it in addition to the smaller one?

I know when I was getting a cracking noise it came from the big pin. I'm pretty sure it was crud in the retaining ring some how.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 9:07 Quote
Rex636 wrote:
rowanlewis wrote:
Rex636 wrote:

I know when I was getting a cracking noise it came from the big pin. I'm pretty sure it was crud in the retaining ring some how.

Ok thanks, gonna make sure I greased all of them then. They are definitely clean though.

I've since found a site that sells pivot bearings. Do you happen to know the size?

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 4:29 Quote
Hey guys

regarding the dogbone issue, I sell high quality replacement DU Bushes that I have been testing for more than a year.
I tried a few ones without success, I finally got hold of the ones that do work in muddy conditions.
You need to clean them once in a while but the wear is not a lot and they dont rust.
I did a year of abuse with about 2 sets, the key is to replace them as soon as they start developing play.

They are in the buysell section.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2581952/

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017400
Mobile Version of Website