The 650B GT Sanction Thread

PB Forum :: GT
The 650B GT Sanction Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
eugenux wrote:
Verbl-Kint wrote:
A few riders in my part of the world have been very very happy with going the mullet route on their Sanctions using a 170mm 29er fork (reduced offset), 40mm stem (instead of 35mm or 50mm), and adding some more high speed compression to the rear shock.

Maybe worth a try for some of you.

I always considered mulleting my former Sanction but I think it would be a problem with the current crop of high A2C forks. The best thing, IMO, would be to source out a new or 1 season used '19-'20 fox 36 grip 2 and use that as the current lyrics, zebs and fox 38 are high in the sky with their A2C. Then again, maybe a type B air shaft for a lyrik could do the trick, as it really sits at least 10mm lower in its travel then it is advertised.

One thing I do not understand is the stem length. That's a thing mostly related with rider preference, riding style, cockpit size(FC, ett, reach, stack) and so on. Why a mullet Sanction would work better with a 40mm stem?

cheers,
E.

Hi, i have done on my decreasing the travel from 180 to 160, and then i instelled a 45 or 50 mm stem! i'm considering the idea of offset bushing!

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
caval wrote:
eugenux wrote:
Verbl-Kint wrote:
A few riders in my part of the world have been very very happy with going the mullet route on their Sanctions using a 170mm 29er fork (reduced offset), 40mm stem (instead of 35mm or 50mm), and adding some more high speed compression to the rear shock.

Maybe worth a try for some of you.

I always considered mulleting my former Sanction but I think it would be a problem with the current crop of high A2C forks. The best thing, IMO, would be to source out a new or 1 season used '19-'20 fox 36 grip 2 and use that as the current lyrics, zebs and fox 38 are high in the sky with their A2C. Then again, maybe a type B air shaft for a lyrik could do the trick, as it really sits at least 10mm lower in its travel then it is advertised.

One thing I do not understand is the stem length. That's a thing mostly related with rider preference, riding style, cockpit size(FC, ett, reach, stack) and so on. Why a mullet Sanction would work better with a 40mm stem?

cheers,
E.

Hi, i have done on my decreasing the travel from 180 to 160, and then i instelled a 45 or 50 mm stem! i'm considering the idea of offset bushing!

I had an M Sanction with a 50mm stem and 170 lyrik... then an L Sanction with offset bushing, 40mm stem and 180mm fox 36. Worked a treat!, Felt absolutely great sitting a little lower to the ground.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 1:59 Quote
NicolaB wrote:
rickyvic wrote:
NicolaB wrote:

Any issues with your dogbone? I've just made a new Dogbone linkage upgrade made with four sealed bearings and inox steel aisi 316 and aluminium spacers! It works very well! I tested it in some rough conditions and no problems! Message me for any Info!

I would not use steel for the dogbone it is possible that you damage the frame which is aluminium but the bearings seem to be a good choice.....

Yes i'd considered this problem! The steel don't touch the frame thank's to the spacers which are aluminium. The spacers also are firm. There are any move against the frame!
I use this dogbone since november 2/3 times a week and no problems!
Like the original one it's advised disassembly and clean it after very muddy ride! Specially if the mud it's very liquid

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 9:20 Quote
If you are still looking for GT Sanction Dog Bone, I just found some for sale on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/255671580658

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 19:29 Quote
Hey guys,

I have a 2016 GT sanction and want to get my frame re painted. Looks like these frames come powder coated so I want to get some feed back on the best way to go about this. Either stripping the powder coating and getting it re powder coated or stripping the powder coat and getting it sprayed with wet paint, putting decals then clear coat....

anyone that has had these frames re done that can provide any advice

Thanks

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
seeing you guys talking about Sanctions makes me realize how much I miss mine.

still so upsteat on GT because they give up on I-drive and AOS.

regarding the painting.. I never respray any of my bikes; I always let the "battle marks" visible.

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
Eriksicairos wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a 2016 GT sanction and want to get my frame re painted. Looks like these frames come powder coated so I want to get some feed back on the best way to go about this. Either stripping the powder coating and getting it re powder coated or stripping the powder coat and getting it sprayed with wet paint, putting decals then clear coat....

anyone that has had these frames re done that can provide any advice

Thanks

Best way to remove paint is to send it to paint stripping facility which does stripping of aluminium car rims. Its cheap and non harming way and the frame is clean like it came from welders from gt factory. I did mine with wet painting, but powder coating is ok too. You just have to care more about places where you dont want the paint, because powder coating company will not give a f*ck about it, like bearing holes and others. Just look on the frame with original paint where is bare aluminum and keep it paintless when doing your resprey.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 20:01 Quote
eugenux wrote:

cheers,
E.

This is to get the stem length as close as possible to the reduced offset on the fork.

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 1:26 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
eugenux wrote:

cheers,
E.

This is to get the stem length as close as possible to the reduced offset on the fork.
yes, but you can simply get a low off-set fork, most of the lyriks now are 42. are proper mtb forks still made with 51mm offsets?

Posted: Feb 11, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
I think it was Greg Minnaar who advocated for having your stem length be as close to the fork offset as possible.

As you said, since most fork offsets are in the 42mm range, then the 40mm stem would be closest to it (as opposed to 35mm or 50mm).

The assumption is, a mullet Sanction would be using a 29er fork with a reduced offset.

Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
I think it was Greg Minnaar who advocated for having your stem length be as close to the fork offset as possible.

As you said, since most fork offsets are in the 42mm range, then the 40mm stem would be closest to it (as opposed to 35mm or 50mm).

The assumption is, a mullet Sanction would be using a 29er fork with a reduced offset.

well, in the comming months, my friend who brought the M size frame from me(he is easily an L size) manage to discover an unused XL frame from a bikeshop in.. I think it was Texas.. does not matter; he bought the damn thing and he is currently awaiting for it to arrive. As opposed to his current /my former M, which has a 27.5, 180mm fork with an extra off-set head-set, this one will get mulleted, with an rc charger damper, 170mm B air-shaft brand new fork.. so, watch this space..as, a new 2016 bike will get build soon. ; 40mil stem, of course.

Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 21:19 Quote
I need to replace the dog bone and bushings for my 2019 GT Sanction. They seem hard to find. Any info on where I could order one from?

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 3:28 Quote
Hi all,

I have had the battle with the dog bone bushes over the years, as we all have.... I tried different types of designs with bearings, etc. What I settled on is an IGUS style plastic bush instead of the metal teflon lined bushes. And changed the metal plain carbon steel pins to stainless steel.

What happens is the plain carbon steel pins corrode.... once they corrode they bind on the bolt and when the dog link rotates anti clockwise, it unwinds the bolt! I have tried Loctiting the bolt in place, and that is still not enough. The stainless steel pins do not corrode. The clearance is only .001" between from the bolt to the steel pins, so any corrosion will cause binding.

If anyone is interested, I have the sizes of the metal pins that I had have had made out of stainless steel. Incase you want to get a set made up. I use to have constant issues with the dog link, and I live in a wet place, lots of muck, no issues since ......

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 6:36 Quote
Hi guys!
Question... i have a mullet sanction and i want to tweak the geometry a little bit.
Do you think it would make sense to install an offset shock bushing (to increase di BB Height) and then install an angleset to bring to BB back down but with a steeper seat angle?

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007053
Mobile Version of Website