Post your Stanton Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Stanton Bikes
Author Message
Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 0:51 Quote
oldmanfalling wrote:
Hi anyone reading this. I might be posting to a biased forum here but I wanted to canvass some opinion.

I currently have a 160mm full sus. It's more bike that I can or would ever make full use of. I have recently come to the conclusion that I am as fast as I am ever going to be due to it being essential I don't take massive risks for fear of injury and loss of earnings. Therefor the full sus is making it, not exactly easy, but not challenging enough to hold my interest at the speeds I am willing to go.

I am looking at the Switchback thinking that I can still do the same drops, jumps and trails (which due to my lack of biking balls aren't that big or gnarly), plus the odd day in the bike park, and due to the hardtail will make my slower speeds more interesting/challenging.

I would would be replacing the full sus with the Switchback and have it as my only bike.

Would anyone recommend this course of action, anyone have feelings that I shouldn't?

Thanks for reading and any opinion would be gratefully recieved.

yes, go for it! you will not look back tup

while not a bad idea you might need to provide a few more details on your riding style and local trails. bike park can mean big 8in bikes on steep, endless, fast open trails down alpine mountains, or it could mean a maintained network of various trails with the odd run 3-7 minute run for advanced rides. just hire bike if you visit alpine parks.

also do you need to climb much or cruise flat trails? are you a fitness power man or more a steady cruiser that makes the most of the downs?

i have the switchback Ti and a descent 150mm full sus'er which since getting the SB doesn't get out much unless I'm doing the runs used for enduro and DH racing.

the SB a great ride. very playful and confidence inspiring - a difficult balance without being too twitchy in responsiveness or overly stable and forgiving to the point of being dull. it likes to loaf the front up and comes alive as its pushed in flowy sections full of tight techy stuff. I'm often surprised at the ease in which i can correct or switch lines including when things get drifty.

It's possible that compared to other Stantons its more suited to the aggressive side of things - again think of your trails and style- but it will fine with whatever you throw at it. Of course it will reveal any gaps in your abilities after riding your FS so long, but that's the beauty of HTs and it wont be long till you start finding gains.

there's a few Stanton rides here so expect some love!

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:46 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
oldmanfalling wrote:
Hi anyone reading this. I might be posting to a biased forum here but I wanted to canvass some opinion.

I currently have a 160mm full sus. It's more bike that I can or would ever make full use of. I have recently come to the conclusion that I am as fast as I am ever going to be due to it being essential I don't take massive risks for fear of injury and loss of earnings. Therefor the full sus is making it, not exactly easy, but not challenging enough to hold my interest at the speeds I am willing to go.

I am looking at the Switchback thinking that I can still do the same drops, jumps and trails (which due to my lack of biking balls aren't that big or gnarly), plus the odd day in the bike park, and due to the hardtail will make my slower speeds more interesting/challenging.

I would would be replacing the full sus with the Switchback and have it as my only bike.

Would anyone recommend this course of action, anyone have feelings that I shouldn't?

Thanks for reading and any opinion would be gratefully recieved.

yes, go for it! you will not look back tup

while not a bad idea you might need to provide a few more details on your riding style and local trails. bike park can mean big 8in bikes on steep, endless, fast open trails down alpine mountains, or it could mean a maintained network of various trails with the odd run 3-7 minute run for advanced rides. just hire bike if you visit alpine parks.

also do you need to climb much or cruise flat trails? are you a fitness power man or more a steady cruiser that makes the most of the downs?

i have the switchback Ti and a descent 150mm full sus'er which since getting the SB doesn't get out much unless I'm doing the runs used for enduro and DH racing.

the SB a great ride. very playful and confidence inspiring - a difficult balance without being too twitchy in responsiveness or overly stable and forgiving to the point of being dull. it likes to loaf the front up and comes alive as its pushed in flowy sections full of tight techy stuff. I'm often surprised at the ease in which i can correct or switch lines including when things get drifty.

It's possible that compared to other Stantons its more suited to the aggressive side of things - again think of your trails and style- but it will fine with whatever you throw at it. Of course it will reveal any gaps in your abilities after riding your FS so long, but that's the beauty of HTs and it wont be long till you start finding gains.

there's a few Stanton rides here so expect some love!

Thanks WasabiJim.

To answer your questions, I usually ride 3 times a week. 2 of these are fitness and basic skill building on smooth flat trails that aren't a challenge in the slightest. The weekends are usually spent in the mountains around Madrid riding up only because you have to go up if you want to come down. I like to ride what are classified here as black runs. Rough natural stuff that has some roots, sniper rocks and quite a bit of loose rock. Also it's pretty dry and dusty here most of the year.

My riding style is cautious until I know a trail. That's why I'm sure the FS is too much bike for me.

My closest bike park is a place called La Pinilla, which has a great network of fast, groomed, jumpy runs mixed in with some more technical stuff. I see plenty of guys riding trail bikes around, so I think as long as I stay away from the massive jump lines - which I don't have the balls for anyway - there's nothing that the Switchback couldn't handle. I probably wouldn't go more than once a month anyway.

I would be going for the steel version as the ti might be a little out of my price range, I'd have to see what I can get for my current frame and bits. I also like that I can fit plus sized rubber into the frame, in case I miss the bounce of FS too much, although with a non-boost fork, I'm not sure if it will fit up front.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 5:08 Quote
can't go wrong with the steel mate, i like the blue and silver/grey paint

I think meaty 2.4in tires will do the trick, 800-900 grams. although i wouldn't mind trying something lo-profile in the 2.6(r)-2.8(f) range but that wont happen as both my frame and fork are super tight already with 2.4in tread Confused

i think the SB will be a sweet fit for you

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 7:14 Quote
10 days and counting, still no frame Cry Starting to get a little impatient, and currently bike less as my previous bike has been stripped and parts sold.

Have others experienced this sort of time frame when ordering from Stanton?

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 12:13 Quote
I was going to say they're not the quickest. Get on the facebook page and post something like 'looking forward to my new frame if it ever arrives'..

They're only 2 guys there I think and sometimes they go away and are tied up doing other things but you'll get it.

I waited about 3 months for my frame but it was still in Taiwan when I ordered.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 13:14 Quote
I don't do facebook, thats the devils work. However I do gather from checking the facebook/instagram/twunnter pages that not only is Dan in Taiwan, im not alone in waiting for a frame.

I get the fact that they're a small company but other companies like Cotic manage a once a week shipping date and 10days to stick a frame in a box makes you wonder how long they'd take to do a full build, it is just particularly irksome as my number of bikes(N) =0

I sent a mail today but didn't get an answer and will chase it up with a phone call tomorrow,

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
Damn that sucks. I know how frustrating it can get... If I hear anything I'll let you know..

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 18:27 Quote
It will be with you soon.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 4:33 Quote
Is there already a release date for the Stanton fully? Cheers and thx!

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 12:44 Quote
Frame arrived..yay. Unfortunately it not come with the invisiframe kit fitted,..? My first attempt at invisiframing and i have made a bloody awful job of itConfused Bubbles everywhere, sod it...

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 18:13 Quote
My build in progress.


Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 19:01 Quote
Drool
that red is hard to beat Helmet

any more blue? i think red-black is enough

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 20:48 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
Drool
that red is hard to beat Helmet

any more blue? i think red-black is enough

I was thinking a bit more blue on the handle bars and possibly the peddles but thats it.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 22:14 Quote
Lambert45 wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
Drool
that red is hard to beat Helmet

any more blue? i think red-black is enough

I was thinking a bit more blue on the handle bars and possibly the peddles but thats it.

Raceface all the way!

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 4:26 Quote
Jesus those rims are mahooosive! chunky build. Mine is going to be a rather weedy XC build.

I agonized long and hard about the red or grey colour scheme, ultimately im paranoid and where im from a shiny red bike is only more likely to get nicked so i went grey.


Pre-invisiframe fiasco


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020399
Mobile Version of Website