Canyon shape shifter

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Canyon shape shifter
Posted: Nov 19, 2016 at 3:30 Quote
Ive had a 2016 SS for two weeks and it's faulty. Putting a modefixer in shaves a reasonable amount of weight off of your bike too.

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 1:55 Quote
peterstanworth wrote:
Ive had a 2016 SS for two weeks and it's faulty. Putting a modefixer in shaves a reasonable amount of weight off of your bike too.

Are you sure? The SS without the cable and remote is 130g so depending on which version of modefixer you put on the bike you save 34-75g and it's and enduro bike not an XC race bike. Even a faulty SS can be locked in DH mode - for free - so for me no reason to burn 70-90€ on this thing. Smile

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 10:29 Quote
There is just people spamming around with this mode fixer Shi****t
my 2015 SS was like a shit, but the 2016 models work fine in the 99% of the bikes....
mine has lasted for 9 months and yesterday ride was in good shape working. dinde mess with pressure for this 9 months.

bosnianrider wrote:
peterstanworth wrote:

Are you sure? The SS without the cable and remote is 130g so depending on which version of modefixer you put on the bike you save 34-75g and it's and enduro bike not an XC race bike. Even a faulty SS can be locked in DH mode - for free - so for me no reason to burn 70-90€ on this thing. Smile

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 10:43 Quote
alnavasa wrote:
There is just people spamming around with this mode fixer Shi****t
my 2015 SS was like a shit, but the 2016 models work fine in the 99% of the bikes....
mine has lasted for 9 months and yesterday ride was in good shape working. dinde mess with pressure for this 9 months.

bosnianrider wrote:
peterstanworth wrote:

Same here. My 2015 SS failed after three rides I've got the replacement 2016 model in January and I didn't have to touch it since I installed it.

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 at 2:11 Quote
Same problem here. Just had the bike in at the shop for a service and they let the pressure out of the rear shock and shapeshifter. The pumped the shapeshifter up while i was there but it was in DH mode. Wouldn't change back into XC mode. I let the pressure out. Managed to put it into XC mode and pumped it back up. Now wont stay in DH mode.

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 at 2:16 Quote
muckwarrior wrote:
I thought of a potential cause of the problem just before I emailed canyon. The day it stopped working was very wet and muddy. I thought maybe some grime got into the cable housing and wasn't letting it retract fully. So I just got a screwdriver and pushed the actuator on the shapeshifter and sure enough it moved a couple of millimetres farther. I reckon I need to replace the cable and hopefully it'll be fine then Smile

Will have to try this. Same problem here. Just had the bike in at the shop for a service and they let the pressure out of the rear shock and shapeshifter. They pumped the shapeshifter back up while i was there but it was in DH mode. Wouldn't change back into XC mode. I let the pressure out. Managed to put it into XC mode and pumped it back up. Now wont stay in DH mode.

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 at 2:25 Quote
bike4play wrote:
muckwarrior wrote:
I thought of a potential cause of the problem just before I emailed canyon. The day it stopped working was very wet and muddy. I thought maybe some grime got into the cable housing and wasn't letting it retract fully. So I just got a screwdriver and pushed the actuator on the shapeshifter and sure enough it moved a couple of millimetres farther. I reckon I need to replace the cable and hopefully it'll be fine then Smile

Will have to try this. Same problem here. Just had the bike in at the shop for a service and they let the pressure out of the rear shock and shapeshifter. They pumped the shapeshifter back up while i was there but it was in DH mode. Wouldn't change back into XC mode. I let the pressure out. Managed to put it into XC mode and pumped it back up. Now wont stay in DH mode.

So I just adjusted the cable tension at the shapeshifter lever. Seems to stay in DH mode now. Should have thought it through before posting. Will see how it goes.

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 at 17:32 Quote
I got Canyon to fit my 16ss after my 15 ss failed after a couple of rides.
Iv not had any problems since. Fingers crossed.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 6:07 Quote
Hi. I dont know if my monarch plus works corectly. Im 85kg in if i wont to have 30%sag i have to pump it up to 240psi. For 35% 200psi. Is this normal. Then when i put the SS in XC mode the sag remains the same. Canyon says that sag should be 15% when SS in XC mode.

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 16:54 Quote
Matpav wrote:
Hi. I dont know if my monarch plus works corectly. Im 85kg in if i wont to have 30%sag i have to pump it up to 240psi. For 35% 200psi. Is this normal. Then when i put the SS in XC mode the sag remains the same. Canyon says that sag should be 15% when SS in XC mode.

Same happens with my.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2017 at 20:56 Quote
Matpav wrote:

Have you followed RS recommended setup process, which includes pressurising to 100PSI then working the suspension through all it's travel five or more times before taking it to full pressure? When you do this first it allows air to travel to where it is supposed to. You can hear it sucking and "breathing" when you do this.

Then pump up to desired full PSI in DH mode.

I too am 84/85kg and am running 215PSI to give 32.5% sag. In XC mode sag is about 20% give or take, but due to leverage change feels stiffer than that.

Posted: Feb 25, 2017 at 3:32 Quote
Do i need to remove all oil from shapshifter to stay in dh mode via instructions of canyon and pump it to stay in it.i have strave 2016 4 month old and the problems with shape shifter started i bleeding it didnt help shapeshifter works without remoute it changes from dh to xc but when dismount the bike it enters xc.

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 at 20:56 Quote
muckwarrior wrote:
So my 16 model shapeshfter started acting up today. Different to the last 2 I had that failed. This one now won't stay in DH mode. It shifts fine, but as soon as the weight comes off the suspension it shifts back to XC. I thought maybe some dirt might have jammed the actuator, but I checked and it's working fine. When I push the trigger it depresses, and when I let go it releases.

Anyone know if it can be jammed in DH mode somehow? I have a race tomorrow and all the stages are downhill, so would prefer it stuck in DH than XC.

this is exactly what happened to me last weekend on my 2016 SS, it keeps shifts back to XC when no weight on the bike or during riding, last night had to release all the air on SS and shock, checked cable tension, and pumping back, seems back to normal now. I would love to make my hand dirty and DIY those o ring when the time comes.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 8:55 Quote
cygwin wrote:
muckwarrior wrote:
So my 16 model shapeshfter started acting up today. Different to the last 2 I had that failed. This one now won't stay in DH mode. It shifts fine, but as soon as the weight comes off the suspension it shifts back to XC. I thought maybe some dirt might have jammed the actuator, but I checked and it's working fine. When I push the trigger it depresses, and when I let go it releases.

Anyone know if it can be jammed in DH mode somehow? I have a race tomorrow and all the stages are downhill, so would prefer it stuck in DH than XC.

this is exactly what happened to me last weekend on my 2016 SS, it keeps shifts back to XC when no weight on the bike or during riding, last night had to release all the air on SS and shock, checked cable tension, and pumping back, seems back to normal now. I would love to make my hand dirty and DIY those o ring when the time comes.

Dunno exactly how you processed by removing air, if SS is going down, air is inside!

The first and obvious technique is to press the piston in and out without air pressure, maybe vacuum makes the things quicker. Try now to extend the piston with pressure from the air chamber and compress with the syringe (after removing air from air chamber). It seems there is an internal piston, by moving it it increase the oil flow, remember setting it in the right position to make it works!

Other tip, use min10wt oil.

Takes 15min, just disassemble the upper shock bushings and you can access to the bleed port.

Did this setup prior to winter and still works although cold is known to be the SS's worst enemy.

Will post a video next time I'm bleeding it... if needed ;-)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013250
Mobile Version of Website