Canyon shape shifter

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Canyon shape shifter
Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 9:00 Quote
It seems this is a common problem now. I used mine 5 times and the shapeshifter just gave up and lost all pressure. Oil leaked from the valve and game over. It will not hold pressure and wont switch.

This happened late september. To date (almost 5 weeks) there is no estimated time for delivery of the new shapeshifters... they are out of stock.

Seems to me its a failed design. Sounds great in theory, but in practice... just wont work

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 15:17 Quote
RGB7744 wrote:
It seems this is a common problem now. I used mine 5 times and the shapeshifter just gave up and lost all pressure. Oil leaked from the valve and game over. It will not hold pressure and wont switch.

This happened late september. To date (almost 5 weeks) there is no estimated time for delivery of the new shapeshifters... they are out of stock.

Seems to me its a failed design. Sounds great in theory, but in practice... just wont work

Yeah it's a real disappointment as the bike is great but this fault really lets it down. I think they need a complete redesign. Even a fixed travel option.

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 4:35 Quote
RGB7744 wrote:

The post-service is awful, i have bought my canyon strive 2 months ago and 3 weeks ago the shapeshifter dead. I have sent many e-mails and no response.

I used my bike 7 times. A sad buy.

Frown

Did you say that the shapeshifter are out of stock??? They doesn't say anything to me.

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 9:06 Quote
Already posted this in the canyon owners club thread...

2x shapeshifters have failed for me now. This includes the new and improved version.

I've spent £4300 on a bike for a very specific purpose (the shapeshifter and the ability to switch to 130mm travel + headangle + higher BB) and the bike isn't fit for that purpose (its main selling point).

The bike was meant to last me for several years and the part in question hasn't lasted several months and it doesn't look like a reliable solution will be available.

Canyon have tried to fix the problem but the supposed solution didn't address the problem - it just happened again very quickly after 3 rides. Also the amount of time to address the problem is unreasonable - I waited 4 weeks the first time, now it is going to be 6 weeks.

I've asked for a refund of the bike, which I've been told isn't possible (I've had the bike since July but only ridden it a few times due to a hand injury). Regardless of the 30 day replacement that Canyon offer, from what I've read, the sale of goods act allows for repair or if repair not possible (which this looks like), then refund and this can potentially be any time that is reasonable, not just a manufacturers stated repair or replacement time.

Fundamentally, the part isn't fit for purpose and regardless of some working and some not, it is long term problem that will affect the current generation Strive.

If I knew this before buying, I wouldn't have bought it. I would suggest others think twice before they buy this bike.

Cheers.

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 17:04 Quote
I've had my Strive since July but last weekend the Shapeshifter would not come out of downhill mode. After removing the gas spring I found it had failed in two ways. It would not retain the 15bar pressure and it would only extend 50% towards the the XC position.
I emailed the Canyon UK service centre last Sunday. Today they replied, giving me the option of sending the bike back to them for repair or they would send me a new one but it will be six weeks until they have them in stock.
When I emailed them back asking them to send me a new one I questioned the reason for the six weeks suggesting there must be a defect with the gas spring since lots of other people are having the same problem. Canyon reply was this, 'There has been a production change made to the unit and I do not expect there to be any future problems'.
I sincerely hope the gas spring I receive is one which has been improved and do not experience another failure of this component and another six week wait. If that happens I will be implementing my consumer rights as follows: -

Under the Consumer Rights Act you only have 30 days to reject something. But a reputable retailer may give you a refund as a goodwill gesture.
If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
If the attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.
And no deduction can be made from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

Posted: Nov 3, 2015 at 5:06 Quote
Had mine since May and the shapeshifter failed 6 Weeks ago. Exactly the same problem as others - blew hydrolic fluid out of the valve.
I'm still waiting for a replacement.
I was first told it would be 3 weeks.
I understand that these things happen but it's Canyons blasé customer support that is really infuriating me. I just want a straight answer! When will my bike be fixed?

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 15:46 Quote
What is worrying me, having just bought a Strive in September, is that the bike will be worth nothing if they ditch the technology which is a real shame as its a great bike when it works. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of sales they have had issues with but I guess we will never know that....................unless they ditch the technology!

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 7:24 Quote
Three weeks wait I was told for my shapeshifter. Well, it's now up and I've heard nothing. I emailed canyon to see what's going on but haven't heard anything yet. I'm currently on hold to them!!!

I really hope they've sorted out the problems with the shapeshifter; I know two other people with strives and both of them have had failed shapeshifters. It's not looking good for Canyon at the moment.

If I get another failure I too will be using my consumer rights.

KG

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 8:09 Quote
My shapeshifter was changed under warranty in August after failing almost straight away, since the new unit I have covered 300 miles & it is spot on, the bike is excellent & rides brilliantly.
There seems to be quite a few defective units out there, but you only really hear about the ones that don't work & not the ones that do. It would be interesting to know how many have been sold & have not come back.
Sorry to hear about the delay in the shapeshifter units & service, I had nothing but praise for Canyon when mine went wrong, the turn around was within 3 days.

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 8:44 Quote
Im still waiting for a new unit after waiting 5 - 6 weeks for it, not good from Canyon really. Just hoping that i don't have anymore issues with the new unit as already loosing faith in Canyon. Not hearing much about the new MY2016 SS, don't know if thats because most people with problems are still waiting for it or that nobodys posting about it because its working fine! Ive heard that the problem is now fixed but only time will tell i guess...

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 9:05 Quote
Darcydiddler wrote:
My shapeshifter was changed under warranty in August after failing almost straight away, since the new unit I have covered 300 miles & it is spot on, the bike is excellent & rides brilliantly.
There seems to be quite a few defective units out there, but you only really hear about the ones that don't work & not the ones that do. It would be interesting to know how many have been sold & have not come back.
Sorry to hear about the delay in the shapeshifter units & service, I had nothing but praise for Canyon when mine went wrong, the turn around was within 3 days.
Hi. Do you have one of the new 2016 shapeshifters?

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 9:11 Quote
Stevie1norco wrote:
What is worrying me, having just bought a Strive in September, is that the bike will be worth nothing if they ditch the technology which is a real shame as its a great bike when it works. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of sales they have had issues with but I guess we will never know that....................unless they ditch the technology!

Hi mate. Have you heard anything about them getting rid of the shapeshifters?

Posted: Nov 14, 2015 at 7:27 Quote
Hi. Do you have one of the new 2016 shapeshifters?[/Quote]

I'm not sure it was replaced at the end of August, how can you tell? I got my bike just before the 2016 bikes were released.

Posted: Nov 14, 2015 at 7:52 Quote
Stevie1norco wrote:

That is exactly why I cancelled my Strive and opted for a YT Capra as my fear was this technology may be dated in 2 years and no one will want it thus decreasing sell on value. Lovely looking bikes though I had ordered a strive al 6.0 Race.

Posted: Nov 14, 2015 at 10:11 Quote
Darcydiddler wrote:
Hi. Do you have one of the new 2016 shapeshifters?

I'm not sure it was replaced at the end of August, how can you tell? I got my bike just before the 2016 bikes were released.[/Quote]

On the shapeshifter itself it should say something like E124-16. My 2015 one says E124-15.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018535
Mobile Version of Website