hub question

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
hub question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 21:58 Quote
so on my bike i notice when i 180 and land fakie the pedals catch the hub teeth almost immediately, which always messes me up when i do 180's out of kickers and drops. the question is can i go and grind down everyother tooth in the inner hub ring to create some slack? some times i need just an extra 1/4-1/2 second more to absorb the impact before i start pedaling backyards. any ideas? i understand when i pedal itll have to take a little more to engage, but the idea is to have a freecoaster when riding fakie but for only about a second, then the pedals will back pedal like normal.

photo

basically inside the cassette or rather behind it there are these teeth, i would be shaving down every other tooth.

Posted: Feb 24, 2015 at 12:41 Quote
Why don't you just learn to fakie like a normal person would. This will ruin your hub. It will skip or it will break the pawls completely. Either way your knees are going to hurt.

Posted: Feb 24, 2015 at 13:21 Quote
No it'll work. Try it. Then proceed to buy a new hub frustrated at yourself. Cheers.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2015 at 17:27 Quote
team-issue wrote:
Why don't you just learn to fakie like a normal person would. This will ruin your hub. It will skip or it will break the pawls completely. Either way your knees are going to hurt.

the only difference is the teeth will be further apart, im utilizing the hubs design to do what it already does but just adding 3mm of a gap between the teeth...

another analogy is its basically like putting bigger or smaller wheels on a car...if i was messing with the actual pawls i would agree it would not be a good day.

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 9:03 Quote
By taking out engagement points the pawls and springs will have to bend and move further then they are designed. I can see the pawls breaking right at the point where the slide into the hub shell. Again resulting in you smashing your knee into your stem. This is a terrible idea but if you feel like your smarter then a couple decades of bicycle hub design then go for it.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 18:04 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://natandgav.moonfruit.com/communities/2/004/012/424/322/images/4609129583.png
Seriously, not a great idea. That would ruin your hub. If you want a freecoaster, get a freecoaster.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 18:35 Quote
Now I could be right but doesn't profile now have a coaster/cassette that pedals like a casset coasts like a coaster

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 at 16:45 Quote
If you're after slac prior to engagement just run your chain with more slac.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012230
Mobile Version of Website