Kona Process 134 DL 1x10 Conversion

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Kona Process 134 DL 1x10 Conversion
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
I have a Kona process 134 DL 2014, no changes to any components from new, and want to change to a 1x10 drive train.

It seems too simple, but given that the cassette is already 10sp 11-36, rear derailleur is a XT Shadow Plus and the chain is already suitably sized for this set-up(?), all that would be required is changing the double chain ring to a single 34T Narrow-Wide?

What I am not sure about is if spacers or a new crank arm is required and need a bit of advice on this or if I am missing anything else?

Ultimately I want to go the full conversion with a 40T at the rear dropping out the 15T + 17T replacing with 16T, but the cassette is a Deore and not compatible with components from the companies providing conversion kits. Any advice on this also would be greatly appreciated.

I probably don’t have the mech experience or cash to do the rear end changes at the moment but would really like to do the front if it is as easy as I think it is.

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 11:51 Quote
Old rings and front mech off new nw on, maybe take a few links out the chain. jobs done.
34 up front could prove a little hard unless your really fit or ride flat stuff. 30/32 seams the norm for 650b. But if you can hats off 2 you

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 12:27 Quote
Brilliant, thanks markg, 32T NW ordered!

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 0:47 Quote
If you do end up with a 30 t get a race Face one as they are offset so the chain can clear the crank arms and there threaded so the bolts go straight in. Other makes you may have to put some spacers in. Doesn't matter on a 32 any will do

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 1:30 Quote
Think it's about time Kona changes to a 1x11 by default on the process, don't see any reason leaving it with a front derailleur.

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 14:33 Quote
All about cost and performance. Kona don't do ultra high end fickle stuff. So unless sram start knocking out reliable 11speed at a decent cost not gonna happen. Christ sram can't get 10 speed to last 5 mins in a light shower yet. And shimano seam obsessed with front mechs for some reason. At least it's all a easy fix

Posted: Mar 4, 2015 at 8:58 Quote
Thanks for the help, job done, was really straight forward.

After a quick trial I am very happy with the set-up and range.

Out for a full session on Friday which should decide to go for the 40T extension, drop the front to 30T or just leave as is.

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 at 14:56 Quote
NS25 wrote:
Thanks for the help, job done, was really straight forward.

After a quick trial I am very happy with the set-up and range.

Out for a full session on Friday which should decide to go for the 40T extension, drop the front to 30T or just leave as is.

I'm interested in doing this with my process 134. How'd the gearing work for you? Which narrow/wide did you get? And how much uphill do you ride?
I'm in Washington State, and definitely concerned about having a low enough gear

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 at 22:57 Quote
caution on the 40 idea. i recently added one and found it difficult to get it working properly in the 11t due to lack of chain rap it would skip when trying to put the power down. I run a zee rear mech tho. to get it to work I needed a rad cage. it's a problem due to the rear mech mounting point on these being very far back so it naturally reduces the amount the chain raps around the cassette. other bike has identical gears but it worked flawless first time due to the mount being lower down and further forward so giving it a better start point.
Either way you defiantly want to replace the 15 + 17t with a 16t of eBay, the gap and shifting is horrible otherwise. now its running I love it, really helps on long rides. it's not a massive easy gear all of a sudden but I like it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 at 15:52 Quote
Pbrazil, i ended up changing to a 30T NW (race face ) but kept the 11-36, did change out to an XT cassette though, highly recommended along with KMC chain. Rode this set up for quite a few months now and very happy with it, absolutely no problems and has all the range I need for my local trails and trail centres.

Posted: Oct 25, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Kona Process DL that i had converted to 1X10 with a 34 NW up front.

It was pretty difficult to keep a pace uphill so ended up investing some more money in a 1X11 Shimano XT M8000 rear derailleur, cassette (11-42 teeth) and shifter. This is the perfect setup for me!

I am tagging along with the same question - should I use spacers on the front chain ring to have better alignment? If so what spacers are recommended? I have an SLX (originally 2 chainring) crank.

And one more question - my chain is too short, right?

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 15:03 Quote
I just switched my 134 over to 1x10 with the raceface nw 30t 11-36. Chain line is not great in the big big combo, but not sure if chain ring bolt spacers will fix that. As for your chain Berko55, I would add a link or two, you might rip the rear mech off at full susp. compression.

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 15:09 Quote
I'd say that looks spot on chain length wise. that mech will still move more and who hits full or even half comp in the 42

Posted: Oct 30, 2015 at 12:16 Quote
Adding one more link is still cheaper than a new derailer, but I'm not a mechanic, just looking at the chain it looks a little short. Enjoy the new setup.

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 10:43 Quote
I forget to shift to smaller cogs all the time only to realize a minute after descending. I would let all the air out of the shock and check to see if the chain binds as the suspension cycles.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007298
Mobile Version of Website