Question on the 1x10 drive train...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Question on the 1x10 drive train...
Posted: Mar 3, 2015 at 6:56 Quote
Running 1x10
11-36 rear sprocket, x0 dh rear mech, x0 shifter, truativ chain guard modded to fit a 30t nw front chainring.
Took a lot of time to mod the guard to fit, but rode it hard weekend never dropped a chain once.
Did think of going 40t sprocket on rear but seems to be fine with 36t and 30t up front

Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 15:43 Quote
Haha I'm back, I was riding mammoth mountain today and took a nasty crash because my chain popped out of the top gear.. I snapped my derailleur hanger about 2 weeks ago and it's screws the hole drivetrain up even after fixing it. Any new parts yall like I'm looking up the ones you showed me currently

Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 23:52 Quote
UnboundBoarder wrote:
Haha I'm back, I was riding mammoth mountain today and took a nasty crash because my chain popped out of the top gear.. I snapped my derailleur hanger about 2 weeks ago and it's screws the hole drivetrain up even after fixing it. Any new parts yall like I'm looking up the ones you showed me currently

What? Your grammar sucks.

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 2:01 Quote
On the whole 1x10 thing, can it be ran with a long cage rear derailleur? Currently running a triple front ring and wanting to move to 1x10, can I go ahead an convert with some shorter bolts or is it going to lead to a lot of chain drop? I seem to be getting mixed advice on the subject.
Front ring I will get is a superstar 32T
Rear derailleur- Shimano XT, RD-M781-SGSL, Shadow, 10-Speed
Crankset Shimano XT, FC-M782, 40x30x22T

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 14:46 Quote
inter71 wrote:
UnboundBoarder wrote:

What? Your grammar sucks.
I think your comprehension skills suck. Learn to read

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 14:57 Quote
prudent wrote:
On the whole 1x10 thing, can it be ran with a long cage rear derailleur? Currently running a triple front ring and wanting to move to 1x10, can I go ahead an convert with some shorter bolts or is it going to lead to a lot of chain drop? I seem to be getting mixed advice on the subject.
Front ring I will get is a superstar 32T
Rear derailleur- Shimano XT, RD-M781-SGSL, Shadow, 10-Speed
Crankset Shimano XT, FC-M782, 40x30x22T

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
get a short or medium - zee is like 35 sterling cant fux with that bombproof setup with the minimum of excess chain to swing itself off the rings. or keep the lc & fit a top guide for failsafe.

Posted: Jun 13, 2015 at 18:11 Quote
I've got a couple of bikes setup 1X 10ext right now.

One is Sram XO super short with a OneUp 42t, Wolftooth 16t cog, XT cassette, and a steel b-limit screw. (Stock alloy b-limit screw broke off), and a OneUp Sram direct mount 34t up front. Has been working excellent and long term performance has kept me off needing 1x11. Been riding this for nearly a year and a half now. Got the OneUp 42t from their original preorder.

Also have a Shimano XT shadow plus setup with a Wolftooth GC42t, XTR cassette w/ 17t gone, and ended up having to install a OneUp Radr cage on the derailleur, which made a big improvement! And a Hope 30t nw up front and a MRP V3 top guide.
I like how the OneUp Radr cage made my XT shorter.

Both setups are running KMC DLC chains, but the chain should have little effect on performance IMO.

I also see now Wolftooth has a replacement link mount for Shimano derailleurs (forgot what it's called?), to fulfill a similar concept as the Radr cage in moving the upper pulley back... but I have yet to try one out. For a Shimano setup I still think I'd prefer the Radr cage since it shortens it.

Also should mention, I had a RaceFace narrow wide that wore down so fast it essentially looked like a regular chainring after awhile, no longer having the pronounced wider teeth. Started dropping chains way too often and I ditched it.

As soon as they start shipping next month I will be swapping one of these bikes to XT M8000 just to compare and see if it is worthwhile.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 at 23:03 Quote
bikesatori wrote:
I've got a couple of bikes setup 1X 10ext right now.

One is Sram XO super short with a OneUp 42t, Wolftooth 16t cog, XT cassette, and a steel b-limit screw. (Stock alloy b-limit screw broke off), and a OneUp Sram direct mount 34t up front. Has been working excellent and long term performance has kept me off needing 1x11. Been riding this for nearly a year and a half now. Got the OneUp 42t from their original preorder.

Also have a Shimano XT shadow plus setup with a Wolftooth GC42t, XTR cassette w/ 17t gone, and ended up having to install a OneUp Radr cage on the derailleur, which made a big improvement! And a Hope 30t nw up front and a MRP V3 top guide.
I like how the OneUp Radr cage made my XT shorter.

Both setups are running KMC DLC chains, but the chain should have little effect on performance IMO.

I also see now Wolftooth has a replacement link mount for Shimano derailleurs (forgot what it's called?), to fulfill a similar concept as the Radr cage in moving the upper pulley back... but I have yet to try one out. For a Shimano setup I still think I'd prefer the Radr cage since it shortens it.

Also should mention, I had a RaceFace narrow wide that wore down so fast it essentially looked like a regular chainring after awhile, no longer having the pronounced wider teeth. Started dropping chains way too often and I ditched it.

As soon as they start shipping next month I will be swapping one of these bikes to XT M8000 just to compare and see if it is worthwhile.
the wolftooth link all it does is make any shimano mech same angle as zee DH. if you look carefully a zee mech FR version hangs off at approx 9 oclock postition while the DH version is at 8 oclock position. means DH version has more chain wrap is more compact with a shorter chain required so less chain swinging freely when chain is on the 11t. main reason I wont go any bigger than 32t cassette is because too much chain flapping when using the high gears.

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 10:42 Quote
Bike satori sounds sick! What would you say your favorite is? Ive ordered a praxis rear cassette, gonna order a mrp chain guide, wolf tooth chain ring, and still not sure about dérailleur.. I was looking at shimano m986 xtr rear with a medium cage? What do you think?

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 11:03 Quote
UnboundBoarder wrote:
Bike satori sounds sick! What would you say your favorite is? Ive ordered a praxis rear cassette, gonna order a mrp chain guide, wolf tooth chain ring, and still not sure about dérailleur.. I was looking at shimano m986 xtr rear with a medium cage? What do you think?

What bike are you putting all this on?

I've got no experience with the Praxis cassette yet, but appears it goes to 40, so shifting should be consistent across the range.
Their cranks seem to be decent, although the BB's require a proprietary tool...

Honestly, it sounds like you're preparing to sink some coin into this, so why not just do a true 1 X 11 setup, either XTR M9000, or XT M8000 next month when it comes available? Or of course the XO1/X1 If your wheels have an available XD driver.

Either way I'm pretty unbiased. I hear a lot of people say they can only ride "brand X" and bash on "brand y", etc., but I think they all work so well these days it's hard to go wrong. I have several bikes set up with either Sram or Shimano and I enjoy them all.
Just a matter of proper tuning!
For converting them to extended range 1 x 10, both have their minor quirks, but much of it has been cleared up with some small aftermarket parts.

That said, I've rarely felt the need or justification to go all out for full XTR or full XX just for the minimal weight loss. When essentially XT/SLX or X0/X9/X1 will perform nearly identical just with less exotic materials and more reasonable cost. If you have the budget to do so then more power to ya and go for it.

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 3:50 Quote
Some good advice above. My biggest concern with the Praxis cassette is the longevity and the shifting quality, and whether or not it will be as crisp as Shimano and Sram cassettes, especially once it starts to wear, so when my current 1x10 drivetrain is worn I’ll either replace like for like or I’ll jump onto the 11 speed bandwagon with the new XT stuff. Possibly with a One Up 45t extender so I can run a slightly bigger front ring. It’s fantastic to have all these options though… thumbs up>

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 10:27 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
Some good advice above. My biggest concern with the Praxis cassette is the longevity and the shifting quality, and whether or not it will be as crisp as Shimano and Sram cassettes, especially once it starts to wear, so when my current 1x10 drivetrain is worn I’ll either replace like for like or I’ll jump onto the 11 speed bandwagon with the new XT stuff. Possibly with a One Up 45t extender so I can run a slightly bigger front ring. It’s fantastic to have all these options though… thumbs up>

Yeah I wanted to order one of those 45s but they appear to be sold out for the time being. No big rush since XT M8000 isn't shipping yet and I can't afford XTR M9000.

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 21:46 Quote
bikesatori wrote:
UnboundBoarder wrote:

What bike are you putting all this on?

I've got no experience with the Praxis cassette yet, but appears it goes to 40, so shifting should be consistent across the range.
Their cranks seem to be decent, although the BB's require a proprietary tool...

Honestly, it sounds like you're preparing to sink some coin into this, so why not just do a true 1 X 11 setup, either XTR M9000, or XT M8000 next month when it comes available? Or of course the XO1/X1 If your wheels have an available XD driver.

Either way I'm pretty unbiased. I hear a lot of people say they can only ride "brand X" and bash on "brand y", etc., but I think they all work so well these days it's hard to go wrong. I have several bikes set up with either Sram or Shimano and I enjoy them all.
Just a matter of proper tuning!
For converting them to extended range 1 x 10, both have their minor quirks, but much of it has been cleared up with some small aftermarket parts.

That said, I've rarely felt the need or justification to go all out for full XTR or full XX just for the minimal weight loss. When essentially XT/SLX or X0/X9/X1 will perform nearly identical just with less exotic materials and more reasonable cost. If you have the budget to do so then more power to ya and go for it.
I'm puttin it on a yeti asr5 with fox 36 floats up front. The 1x11 seems much more exspensive to me.. I don think I need new cranks if I go eitht the 1x10 but I'm not completely sure. I need a dérailleur, cassette, chain, chainring, chain guard/guide

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 18:36 Quote
1 x 10 and 1 x 11 you can use same cranks. Just need a narrow-wide chainring, and possibly some small spacers if you want to play with chain line when converting a double crank.

A chainguide is not necessary, nor is a guard. Maybe a basic upper guide if you ride rough and your rear suspensions is quite active.

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 at 17:14 Quote
Gonna try the praxis, 1x11 is to costly at this point• gonna get a new rear deraileur, chain guard, chain, sprocket and convert the rest. Ate crap today because the chain fell while I was hauling down a trail. Arms all rode rashed. Over it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017007
Mobile Version of Website