Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 9:43 Quote
What's up all, just moved to Vernon at the start of October and am lovin' it so far. I can't wait for SS to open for the winter and I'm even more stoked for next summer. For now I'll just ride some street and park till I can track down some trails.tup

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 14:24 Quote
#1 Trail maintanence... I'm into buffing up some trails out in KalPark but I've heard rumors of people not being encouraged to do so for fear of backlash from the ranger types in Kalpark. What's worse???

-Someone getting claimed by some old rotten stunt (there are definitely a few old structures that haven't seen any love in a while) or
-Do some work to existing trails to fix old stunts and eroded sections of trail to make them even more fun....

I think doing a little work too by doing some long overdue maintenance to the amazing network of trails out there would be way better, in everyone's point of view???
What do ya think?

#2 Organization. Riding Spankys a couple weeks ago I meet some people that are getting a mountain bike organization together for the North Okanagan. I'll get some more info on this and post it to this thread. At any rate I encourage everyone in the vernon area to join this organization since it will the the united voice that has power when it comes to trail advocacy.

Looking to generate some discussion on both of these since there are some inconsistent rumors floating regarding the rad trails in our area.

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 15:01 Quote
markeed wrote:
#1 Trail maintanence... I'm into buffing up some trails out in KalPark but I've heard rumors of people not being encouraged to do so for fear of backlash from the ranger types in Kalpark.

Well if you guys are planning on getting organised I'd start by talking with whoever the key land manager is for Kal Park. Tell them you want to do some voluntary trail clearance. There's a few trails that need a good hard weed whacking, and some long standing dead fall needs moving. Start small, then when you're tighter with the land manager, next trick is to rip that old crap down. Then you can start talking about new trails to cut out the eroded sections, new stunts, etc once the relationship develops and there's a level of trust established. Make them your friend. Maybe they like Timbits ? Big Grin

I know a local Vernon guy or two who might be interested in helping you out next spring, also would probably be interested in a MTB club in the North O.K. area. PM me if interested.

All just my 2c.

G_X

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 17:07 Quote
I'd be into doing some trail maintanence as well as joining a bike club. Fire me a note,or PM when you are ready to dig. I'll also keep and eye on the thead for any new info.Pimp

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 13:53 Quote
hey, i have realy wanted to fix up kal park. email or add me to msn at b_man360@hotmail.com about any build days or whatever.

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 14:27 Quote
Anyone else ready to do some snowboarding/skiing at the Star?tup Big Grin

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 at 20:47 Quote
is any one riding yet? I am itching to get out. some kids shoveled out the skate park, but I am looking for something more.

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
itd be nice if there was some dj's IN town, i found a spot not even a block from olympia, when the snows gone the djs will come, and a bike club up in vernon would be sickk, anyone who wants to go for some dj'n, or urban PM me, seein as the hills r chalk full of unmeltable snow!

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 at 18:41 Quote
I rode kal park today. It was messy, nice in the shaded spots, but the sunny patches of trail got really sloppy to ride and stay on the bike. I was using studs, and I think they paid off. evening seems to be the best time to ride with studs As the slop firms up.

keep me posted on what u r riding, I'll do the same. (snow is coming, I'll probably get back on the skis this week )

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 18:39 Quote
We have obtained the wood supply from the bridge construction and it is being stored temporarily at a lot on the westside on kyle road last drive on the right. We are willing to share the wood to any trail builders that would like some we have thousands of board feet of 2x4 and 2x6 material. If the material does not get moving in the next few weeks we will run out of room to keep it and no longer be able to receive the deliveries.

Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 1:24 Quote
Anyone know whats the deal with building on Spankys?. Lots has been done with the lower section, but the top could use some new wood. Dont want to offend the spandex by putting new-school on the upper section too.

Posted: Apr 21, 2008 at 15:36 Quote
robe wrote:
Anyone know whats the deal with building on Spankys?. Lots has been done with the lower section, but the top could use some new wood. Dont want to offend the spandex by putting new-school on the upper section too.

Spankys was discussed at the NOCS (Northern Okanagan Cycling Society) and the upper section is in the provincal park. NOCS is in the process forming an agreement to maintain the current trails. The first step with the upper section of that trail was to remove all the old sketchy wood. That alone would make the trail flow much better IMO.
As for the new school stuff. I believe the Parks/NOCS were looking at adopting some form of the "Whistler Standards" for trail building.
If you ride the trails in the Vernon area please join NOCS. It will be voice for mtn biking in our zone that will fight for access to the trails we ride.
The membership form is at all the local bike shops. I'll see if I can post a copy of one somehow otherwise drop an email to the president Kirk at kirkh@shaw.ca...

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.014230
Mobile Version of Website