Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 20:30 Quote
Says it never rains... There's a week of rain in the forecast.

Liiiies.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
I live in Regina and from Winnipeg so I think what you're asking is whether or not it is a clay soil where it is physically impossible to ride when really wet. No, that's not the case. It's not clay.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 21:27 Quote
AVann6 wrote:
Hey all,

I'm interviewing for a job in Vernon this weekend. Looking to move there if it goes well!

Anyone care to weigh in on the riding, living in Vernon, the Okanagan? I'm from Saskatoon.

Can you ride in the rain with Vernon soil? I thought I'd bring my bike.

Thanks!

Speaking from my experience the lifestyle and riding in Vernon is fantastic. A little more affordable then Kelowna and better riding, (sorry Kelowna folks but it is true) It has a nice diversity of trails and a lot of single track. Then there is Silverstar just up the hill. There are lakes to cool down at. I have lived in Calgary, Canmore, Kelowna, Salmon Arm, and Castlegar. Vernon is the best place I have lived hands down.

I have not regretted moving here at all.

You can absolutely ride in the rain. The soil isn't clay based so it doesn't muck up the bikes and stop the wheels from rolling. You just get a little dirty.

Good luck with the job interview

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 6:07 Quote
I have to agree with Damo. I’ve ridden all over the B.C. Interior and what Vernon has to offer for trails is right up there with the best now. It’s also a little more affordable than Kelowna, less traffic, only a 1/2 hour from Kelowna international airport and 40mins from shopping you may not get in Vernon.
The toughest part is finding good paying work. There’s plenty of service and tourist jobs which pay ok and plenty of professional jobs (doctors, dentists, teacher) but not much in between.
Since you are coming for an interview sounds like you have that part covered. Good luck on your interview.

PS- The only place I don’t recommend riding in the rain are the steeps in Noble Canyon. The turn pretty grezzy and may cost you $200 derailleur. That’s my experience anyway. Lol

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the perspectives. It's nice to hear that's is as nice a place to live as it seems on paper.

I will definitely bring my bike along this weekend then. Those of you predicting the clay soil are bang on with what I was worried about; the dirt here turns into thick peanut butter and stops wheels in the frame. Rain = no ride around these parts.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 7:58 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
I have to agree with Damo. I’ve ridden all over the B.C. Interior and what Vernon has to offer for trails is right up there with the best now. It’s also a little more affordable than Kelowna, less traffic, only a 1/2 hour from Kelowna international airport and 40mins from shopping you may not get in Vernon.
The toughest part is finding good paying work. There’s plenty of service and tourist jobs which pay ok and plenty of professional jobs (doctors, dentists, teacher) but not much in between.
Since you are coming for an interview sounds like you have that part covered. Good luck on your interview.

PS- The only place I don’t recommend riding in the rain are the steeps in Noble Canyon. The turn pretty grezzy and may cost you $200 derailleur. That’s my experience anyway. Lol

You are heavily biased to the canyon as you (and a select few) do the bulk of the trail work. Lots of carnage in there, regardless of conditions. So, grain of salt. She is august dusty and dry in there right now.

.....But really, can you guys stop hyping the Vernon riding scene? There are enough PB articles and promotional materials floating around already... once the hateful trolls start promoting it, you know the battle is lost.

Like f*ck... the hype has already made it to Japan.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
Westjet doesn't have extra baggage charge for bikes unless oversize and the size limit is huge. They were just sold so probably that little bit of kindness is next to go but for now it's nice.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
If you are referring to me re Japan, I only came to Vernon for the sushi、not the mtb

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
If you are referring to me re Japan, I only came to Vernon for the sushi、not the mtb

surprising good sushi in Vernon.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
Vernon Hype, lots of promotion, or just Pred laying out some serious Ched?

Money = Online Hype....

I bet Team Chain Reaction / NukeProof has 10's of thousands of dollars minimum invested in promoting Sams on a 29" bike now.

The new trail at Pred looks dope as Chong getting out of jail... They need to do a write up on that mid trail bar up there at Pred thou.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:32 Quote
Predator is on board with the cheddar because they know not everyone is down for $150 worth of green fees, plus food and beers in one day. They know a little dirt bag money over multiple rides at a mid-stop shack may draw people to other amenities going on other than golf. Good on them.
I’ve done family brunch and dinners up there. Plus the lady of the woods has spa-ed-ed there too. Smart business decision. A few golfers will just have to put up with some hub buzz. However I do stop to be respectful when they are putting or driving. I used to golf too. Maybe when I retire from DH in 3 years. Wink

PS- I wish they had even more terrain to play on. If they could get more land West of Mantle Trail down towards Eastside road there would be even more rocky goodness to play on.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:34 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
Vernon Hype, lots of promotion, or just Pred laying out some serious Ched?

Money = Online Hype....

Only a small potatoes guy like your self would consider what Pred is investing in MTB as "serious ched". Its just a fraction of what they spend on their tennis pro. I bet they spent more money on this sign ....

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:59 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Predator is on board with the cheddar because they know not everyone is down for $150 worth of green fees, plus food and beers in one day. They know a little dirt bag money over multiple rides at a mid-stop shack may draw people to other amenities going on other than golf. Good on them.
I’ve done family brunch and dinners up there. Plus the lady of the woods has spa-ed-ed there too. Smart business decision. A few golfers will just have to put up with some hub buzz. However I do stop to be respectful when they are putting or driving. I used to golf too. Maybe when I retire from DH in 3 years. Wink

PS- I wish they had even more terrain to play on. If they could get more land West of Mantle Trail down towards Eastside road there would be even more rocky goodness to play on.

slabs are so Squamish and pretty played out.... it's so flat there as well. Cedar forests with proper dirt is where it's at. Put the mountain back into mountain biking.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
I guess I’m old school. Mountain biking is a bike with no motor on a trail with no master.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
shredb4bed wrote:

There is some seriously good pedalling out to the North of Pred. They (land owners/property mgmt) have started to patrol the area a little more frequently, which resulted in me having a conversation with a nice fella on a side by side way out in the sticks above Beverly Hills Estates/Bench Row. He expressed that there is concern with general public exposure regarding the IED (Land mine) situation on the property.

I hope Pred can come to some sort of recreational agreement with the land owners on this piece North of Pred, as it is a blast to explore!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014682
Mobile Version of Website