Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Pivot puts cables under the bottom bracket where they don’t belong. Firebird looks great but I will not buy until that is redesigned. My old Glory had cables under the down tube/bottom bracket I had to reroute because they were constantly nicked, scratched and flattened. Never again. Cables underneath are just stupid/lazy design.

XB ran cables under the downtube for a long ass time, never had a problem.
even if it is an issue changing out lines aint that hard... Ppl should change their shifter housing at least 1-2 times
a year anyways... it gets gunky in there, your shifter cable needs to flow freely...

Your kinda being a wuss Shred, perfect design does not exist... Small price to pay.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 10:17 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Pivot puts cables under the bottom bracket where they don’t belong. Firebird looks great but I will not buy until that is redesigned. My old Glory had cables under the down tube/bottom bracket I had to reroute because they were constantly nicked, scratched and flattened. Never again. Cables underneath are just stupid/lazy design.

XB ran cables under the downtube for a long ass time, never had a problem.
even if it is an issue changing out lines aint that hard... Ppl should change their shifter housing at least 1-2 times
a year anyways... it gets gunky in there, your shifter cable needs to flow freely...

Your kinda being a wuss Shred, perfect design does not exist... Small price to pay.

Yup...

Anywhere on a top tube and you're gonna rip your clothing or potentially get your flesh caught up in it, plus you gotta look at it.

Top of the down tube, no water bottle mounting.

Internal routing is a PITA to work on.

Bottom of down tube and ya got mud to deal with. Guess ya gotta stick to loamers, no bulls.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
You guys are welcome to buy bikes with that sort of design. I will pass.

XB you should know better. Go look at that DH Giant frame I sold you. (If you still have it) That’s the bike I re-routed the cables on top avoid constant cable damage from shuttln’.

Cables on top or inside where they belong. Never under the BB. I’m pointing at you Pivot and Rocky Mountain.

PS - I’ve had an NS hardtail and Devinci with cable routing on top of the downtube. Didn’t effect the bottle cage mounting at all. Cables ran beside the cage. That argument doesn’t fly.

Perfect design may not exist but better design does.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
You guys are welcome to buy bikes with that sort of design. I will pass.

XB you should know better. Go look at that DH Giant frame I sold you. (If you still have it) That’s the bike I re-routed the cables on top avoid constant cable damage from shuttln’.

Cables on top or inside where they belong. Never under the BB. I’m pointing at you Pivot and Rocky Mountain.

PS - I’ve had an NS hardtail and Devinci with cable routing on top of the downtube. Didn’t effect the bottle cage mounting at all. Cables ran beside the cage. That argument doesn’t fly.

Rocky has bigger problems to figure out first... Like keeping the wheels attached to the bike.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
That made me snicker.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
No cables under the BB on the new SB.

Looked at the Evil Offering but the Pivot had a better build kit for the money, no E13 or SRAM, they ditched their goofy proprietary handlebar/grip setup and I don’t wear flat bill hats.

The Offering and Ripmo both have very similar geo numbers, I would have ended up with a Ripmo if not for the SB. The new Optic interested me too but my inquiry about one never got followed up on. I’m happy to swipe my card at the shop that has treated me well over the years despite buying all those YT’s.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
I hear you. Reality is all bike brands out there are making pretty damn good machines. I’m not saying any brands are crap. However it’s a competitive market with lots of players so it really does come down to the details to set them apart. Better cable routing, down tube shuttle protection, better chain slap reduction design, modern geo and good customer support to back it all up. Those are the details that make the difference. Every bike has GX, or Codes or Fox or Maxxis or...
Do the small “picky things” better than the other guy and there’s a good chance you might get some of my cash.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 19:00 Quote
As it’s that time of year, when I get an unhealthy itch to buy things I don’t need, I was wondering people’s opinion on coil shocks on non Dh bikes. I definitely prefer coil for high speed small bumps (mainly breaking bumps) but always went with air for any bike I would be peddling. Now, the bike marketing machine is telling me that, with new geometries that have less bob and coil shocks with lockouts, it is time to consider a coil. Thoughts? Would 170 travel coil be too much for Vernon?

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 21:02 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
As it’s that time of year, when I get an unhealthy itch to buy things I don’t need, I was wondering people’s opinion on coil shocks on non Dh bikes. I definitely prefer coil for high speed small bumps (mainly breaking bumps) but always went with air for any bike I would be peddling. Now, the bike marketing machine is telling me that, with new geometries that have less bob and coil shocks with lockouts, it is time to consider a coil. Thoughts? Would 170 travel coil be too much for Vernon?

If it's not on a full DH bike get a Fox X2 air with climb switch... So dope, good as a coil no major draw backs, and can change spring rate waaaay easier to dial in sag and preferred ride.... Tons of Top DH world cup guys are on the X2 air and super competitive.

The coil coming back is a fad man.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:11 Quote
Air is easier to tune. The thought of having to try / source springs with variable rates to achieve the tune I want seems like a nightmare.

... but less bro cred. You will feel inadequate whilst downing ur post ride growler with the beardos....regardless of the quality of your tune.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Air is easier to tune. The thought of having to try / source springs with variable rates to achieve the tune I want seems like a nightmare.

... but less bro cred. You will feel inadequate whilst downing ur post ride growler with the beardos....regardless of the quality of your tune.

Good points, I bet half the guys on this VRT switch to coil just to chase bro factor, all with deminishing returns, all to be back on air in 2 years... The $900 experiment is always fun though. When you think of useless bike parts: right before your purchase, and your thawing your credit card from the block of ice in the freezer, picture this: .... What $900 of beer would look like sitting at your house. XB pictures a pallet, because that's the only efficient way you could transport that much beer. So what would you rather have a pallet of beer, or a sh#tty coil that will most likely add zero pefrormance gains?

450 cans of beer roughly @ $24 p/ 12 pack... If you do go to coil after the pallet of beer, make sure you get the 550lb Spring instead of your usual 450 lb

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
Agreed. If it’s your pedal around up and down bike just put the DH oriented Fox X2 air on it (or whatever brand you like with a piggy back shock) and enjoy the ride. Adjust as needed on the fly.

My DH bike for the park has a coil (550 lbs) but it only needs to do one thing, smash DH laps. Not really worries about pedalin’ it uphill. That said it does have a climb switch to firm it up a little when you need to pedal to a trail head. However it’s definitely not like flipping the firm switch on a good air shock.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Agreed. If it’s your pedal around up and down bike just put the DH oriented Fox X2 air on it (or whatever brand you like with a piggy back shock) and enjoy the ride. Adjust as needed on the fly.

My DH bike for the park has a coil but it only needs to do one thing, smash DH laps. No really worries about pedalin’ it uphill. That said it does have a climb switch to firm it up a little when you need to pedal to a trail head. However it’s definitely not like flipping the firm switch on a good air shock.

If you have a climb switch on a DH bike, that is not a true DH bike, take your snake oil elsewhere sir.
You lost 60% of your credibility with that comment, wow.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
Never know where the shock might end up. Maybe my next park bike will be a long travel with a Fox 38 single crown up front. For the dollar difference just have the switch and cover you future needs. Plus there’s a lot of “DH Trails” with 500m of uphill in the middle like Baconator. Helps on $hit like that.

Man, I agree with you assessment about good air shocks on AM bikes and still get the hate elsewhere. You’re such a hater.

Must be on the VRT. Smile

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:

My DH bike for the park has a coil (550 lbs) but it only needs to do one thing, smash DH laps. No really worries about pedalin’ it uphill. That said it does have a climb switch to firm it up a little when you need to pedal to a trail head. However it’s definitely not like flipping the firm switch on a good air shock.

I can tune my air shock in the parking lot, if I am feeling more flow than tech .... I mean, not that I bother to futz around that much, but just saying ... I could

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007751
Mobile Version of Website