Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
What’s the grumpy old men opinion on the trail updates done by NOCS paid crew? I, for one, love the new smoothness on no boats and the catch berms on fraidy cat, but I’m a bit more new school in my preferences, despite my advanced age.

I am 50/50. Some things they have done seem weird, example.. there was a small log that went across Raven, it’s been there for a decade or there about... I considered it a trail feature, as you needed to hop over it or slow down... it’s gone now. Second example would be RPM, and how there was that tree that was growing out and over the trail, making navigation a bit more technical, they moved the trail well around the tree.... I suppose it’s all in line with improving “accessibility” to all skill levels of bikers... like the progressive berming of all of Ellisons flat corners.

I am not chasing KOMs and I enjoy janky things ... maybe that makes me an outlier. It’s a delicate dance when fixing trails, it’s important to keep the original flavor and intent of the trail IMO, but the bros love their berms, fast flow and seemingly will do anything to hunt down rock slabs .... we once debated the merits of widening trails to accommodate modern bar width... now we just cut the trees and accept it as SOP.

For the record, I am not complaining... just lamenting. It’s nice that things are getting done, particularly addressing drainage and erosion issues.. and this gain arguably outweighs my nitpicking. but my opinion of most things is “less is more” and I am generally a proponent of no to limited intervention. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Poachninja wrote:
What’s the grumpy old men opinion on the trail updates done by NOCS paid crew? I, for one, love the new smoothness on no boats and the catch berms on fraidy cat, but I’m a bit more new school in my preferences, despite my advanced age.

I am 50/50. Some things they have done seem weird, example.. there was a small log that went across Raven, it’s been there for a decade or there about... I considered it a trail feature, as you needed to hop over it or slow down... it’s gone now. Second example would be RPM, and how there was that tree that was growing out and over the trail, making navigation a bit more technical, they moved the trail well around the tree.... I suppose it’s all in line with improving “accessibility” to all skill levels of bikers... like the progressive berming of all of Ellisons flat corners.

I am not chasing KOMs and I enjoy janky things ... maybe that makes me an outlier. It’s a delicate dance when fixing trails, it’s important to keep the original flavor and intent of the trail IMO, but the bros love their berms, fast flow and seemingly will do anything to hunt down rock slabs .... we once debated the merits of widening trails to accommodate modern bar width... now we just cut the trees and accept it as SOP.

For the record, I am not complaining... just lamenting. It’s nice that things are getting done, particularly addressing drainage and erosion issues.. and this gain arguably outweighs my nitpicking. but my opinion of most things is “less is more” and I am generally a proponent of no to limited intervention. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

I friggin love berms.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
Who isn’t a fan of technology that makes them better at something without putting in the effort.

It’s the mantra of our present day.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Who isn’t a fan of technology that makes them better at something without putting in the effort.

It’s the mantra of our present day.

That’s the VRT spirit!

O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
We have Silver Star if we want big berms.
Personally, I like the jank & if a trail is a double black, don't try smooth it out to make the "blue skilled" riders feel like superstars.
No one wants to put the time in to progress, it seems. Everyone gets a participation ribbon.
There, that's my grumpy old man opinion.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
Can a trail not have some jank, and some berm? Diversity is our strength.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
Ya know...It’s really hard to make a dead pan joke about diversity without coming off as racist these days.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 9:03 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:

Not according to many, including posters in this thread, who would have the berms segregated from the wider trail network, and have them concentrated and contained in a predetermined area. These same people would have you believe that the older style trails are superior and mixing them with the new would degrade and debase them. They try to garner support for their cause by evoking the rose tinted memory of a golden age of mountain biking and suggesting a return to the values of that time would solve all the gripes of disgruntled jaded locals.

You know who else thought like that? Exactly.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
Building berms in Ellison is the MTB bro version of affirmative action. Change my mind.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Ya know...It’s really hard to make a dead pan joke about diversity without coming off as racist these days.

Generally hard making jokes these days.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
Rubberhead trail system has a great mix of jank vs. berm on their trails. I’m good with more of that here. The same old trails get boring without a little modification once in a while.
2 cents.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
Poachninja wrote:

Not according to many, including posters in this thread, who would have the berms segregated from the wider trail network, and have them concentrated and contained in a predetermined area. These same people would have you believe that the older style trails are superior and mixing them with the new would degrade and debase them. They try to garner support for their cause by evoking the rose tinted memory of a golden age of mountain biking and suggesting a return to the values of that time would solve all the gripes of disgruntled jaded locals.

You did ask for our opinions didn't you? Or only ones that you agree with?
Never said old style were superior, just my preference.
Nothing against blue trails, just don't feel that the blacks should be modified to blue.
If it wasn't for those "disgruntled jaded locals", you wouldn't even be riding in Kal anymore, or have 90% of the trails we have.
Back in the "Golden Age", I remember being humbled while trying to ride down "Sex Girl" on Cypress. Way over my head, but it never occurred to me that it should be make easier to suit me. Two girls rode by us with ease.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
johnovey wrote:
Poachninja wrote:

You did ask for our opinions didn't you? Or only ones that you agree with?
Never said old style were superior, just my preference.
Nothing against blue trails, just don't feel that the blacks should be modified to blue.
If it wasn't for those "disgruntled jaded locals", you wouldn't even be riding in Kal anymore, or have 90% of the trails we have.
Back in the "Golden Age", I remember being humbled while trying to ride down "Sex Girl" on Cypress. Way over my head, but it never occurred to me that it should be make easier to suit me. Two girls rode by us with ease.

Sorry, I was trying to be facetious. After diversity was brought up I wanted to make a “you’re worse than hitler” reference, which always tends to happen in internet debates. Didn’t mean to be taken literally

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 10:53 Quote
I figured it was troll from the get go... but I can’t help my self.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 11:05 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
I figured it was troll from the get go... but I can’t help my self.

The traditional trolls on this thread seem to have taken a leave of absence so I tried my best to fill in. I think I was being too subtle with my references for good internet trolling.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020787
Mobile Version of Website