Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
BTW those Transitions bikes (Patrol & Spire) on the front page hit all the right numbers for park bikes. If I didn’t just get the Commie AM last fall I’d be all over a Spire. Well done Tranny, well done.

I was looking at those right after a ride down rock is the new berm and thinking to myself, my nomad just barely clears some of these rollovers and this patrol has a bb that is more than a cm lower. In fact, it’s lower than my dual crown. The spire in slack mode, with its bigger rear wheel, is in line with my dual crown. I agree that they’d be killer park bikes, especially on jump lines, but they’re starting to exceed what I’d want outside of that. That said, I think transitions sentinel is the perfect bike for most things around here so transition really is knocking it out of the park.

My ripmo has a BB drop of -30 and I get so many pedal strikes, but I chock that up to lack of skill. Otherwise I love how the bike feels. Way more in it than on it. Shorter cranks could be helpful, though. I think with 29ers the need to drop the bb is more pronounced with the higher axel height. I've found the time I've spent on 27.5 bikes they feel a lot lower, regardless of BBH. -32 with 170mm of travel is definitely getting down there, though!

Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 16:37 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Poachninja wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
BTW those Transitions bikes (Patrol & Spire) on the front page hit all the right numbers for park bikes. If I didn’t just get the Commie AM last fall I’d be all over a Spire. Well done Tranny, well done.

I was looking at those right after a ride down rock is the new berm and thinking to myself, my nomad just barely clears some of these rollovers and this patrol has a bb that is more than a cm lower. In fact, it’s lower than my dual crown. The spire in slack mode, with its bigger rear wheel, is in line with my dual crown. I agree that they’d be killer park bikes, especially on jump lines, but they’re starting to exceed what I’d want outside of that. That said, I think transitions sentinel is the perfect bike for most things around here so transition really is knocking it out of the park.

My ripmo has a BB drop of -30 and I get so many pedal strikes, but I chock that up to lack of skill. Otherwise I love how the bike feels. Way more in it than on it. Shorter cranks could be helpful, though. I think with 29ers the need to drop the bb is more pronounced with the higher axel height. I've found the time I've spent on 27.5 bikes they feel a lot lower, regardless of BBH. -32 with 170mm of travel is definitely getting down there, though!

There's no pedal strikes on Pipe Dream!
Soon, very soon.

Curious to see this new big boy line right next to upper Pipe. Probably out of my wheel house but I roll through the first time and check her out.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Poachninja wrote:


I was looking at those right after a ride down rock is the new berm and thinking to myself, my nomad just barely clears some of these rollovers and this patrol has a bb that is more than a cm lower. In fact, it’s lower than my dual crown. The spire in slack mode, with its bigger rear wheel, is in line with my dual crown. I agree that they’d be killer park bikes, especially on jump lines, but they’re starting to exceed what I’d want outside of that. That said, I think transitions sentinel is the perfect bike for most things around here so transition really is knocking it out of the park.

My ripmo has a BB drop of -30 and I get so many pedal strikes, but I chock that up to lack of skill. Otherwise I love how the bike feels. Way more in it than on it. Shorter cranks could be helpful, though. I think with 29ers the need to drop the bb is more pronounced with the higher axel height. I've found the time I've spent on 27.5 bikes they feel a lot lower, regardless of BBH. -32 with 170mm of travel is definitely getting down there, though!

There's no pedal strikes on Pipe Dream!
Soon, very soon.

Curious to see this new big boy line right next to upper Pipe. Probably out of my wheel house but I roll through the first time and check her out.

Can't wait to hit the pipe.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
it seems some COVID newbs tried to smooth out the uphill rock garden on no boats. I’m going to just blame ebikers running the trail in reverse looking for more downhill flow.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 13:34 Quote
I see 36DD got renamed on TF to just "36". 36 what?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 13:34 Quote
Is Skyride the only good bike shop in Vernon? Seems that way from a quick google. Are they a good bike shop?

Who is the shop that you Vernon-ites are shopping at?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 13:53 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
Is Skyride the only good bike shop in Vernon? Seems that way from a quick google. Are they a good bike shop?

Who is the shop that you Vernon-ites are shopping at?

I deal with them primarily but I slut around occasionally also.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
Is Skyride the only good bike shop in Vernon? Seems that way from a quick google. Are they a good bike shop?

Who is the shop that you Vernon-ites are shopping at?

Skyride for me but Olympia seems good too. Tried Sun Country once when I was shopping for a Pivot and maybe I just caught them on a bad day. Try them all, they all have different vibes and it’s nice to have options.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
All 3 are good but you can have a bad experience anywhere. I tend to go to Olympia because it’s closest to the liquor store nearest my house (and it’s my go to for skis in winter). Sun country, however, has a liquor store next door, so it’s can be a two birds with one stone kind of trip (also it’s online inventory is up to date so you know what’s there). Skyride, however, seems the most focussed on “core” mtb, so you will have less chance of having to stand next to aging rail trail riders, waiting for a tire change on their commuter bikes, so it’s better for your bro brah cred to shop there.

The change from 36dd to just 36 does seem a bit lazy, but it at least respects the traditional name, unless you count the rapey change from “foreplay” to “inevitable”

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
Is Skyride the only good bike shop in Vernon? Seems that way from a quick google. Are they a good bike shop?

Who is the shop that you Vernon-ites are shopping at?

Skyride for me but Olympia seems good too. Tried Sun Country once when I was shopping for a Pivot and maybe I just caught them on a bad day. Try them all, they all have different vibes and it’s nice to have options.

Olympia is OK? I'm not a fan of Rocky or Kona and would rather ride what the shop I'm using supports.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 14:58 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
Skyride, however, seems the most focussed on “core” mtb, so you will have less chance of having to stand next to aging rail trail riders, waiting for a tire change on their commuter bikes, so it’s better for your bro brah cred to shop there.

All my bro brah cred is expired.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
Camstyn wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
Is Skyride the only good bike shop in Vernon? Seems that way from a quick google. Are they a good bike shop?

Who is the shop that you Vernon-ites are shopping at?

Skyride for me but Olympia seems good too. Tried Sun Country once when I was shopping for a Pivot and maybe I just caught them on a bad day. Try them all, they all have different vibes and it’s nice to have options.

Olympia is OK? I'm not a fan of Rocky or Kona and would rather ride what the shop I'm using supports.

Yes, Olympia is good. I have a Santa Cruz so it is another reason I go there often. Other than what brand bike you have, here are the reasons I have found for going to each of the 3 shops.

If you ski and are a believer in building up karma with a shop so they will be more willing to do you some kind of favour in the future, you can do so 4 seasons at Olympia. Think of it as frequent flyer points. Also, with Sun Country, they have a lot of kids stuff.

Sun Country has more tools for sale to build up your home garage. Also, like I said, the have an online shop that keeps an exhaustive list of what is currently in stock so there are no wasted trips. I also find they are a bit more likely to have parts in stock than does Olympia, though this year they are all short. However, they also seem to have the most road/commuter stuff in stock, and that makes it seem bigger than it is to us who only buy MTB stuff. Probably the best selection of kids stuff.

Sky Ride's focus on MTB means they tend to be more reliable if you, say, break a wheel and need a high end replacement on the spot with decent selection. I am told they recently acquired the ability to do warranty work on Fox suspensions so you don't have to send you stuff out of town. I only have Rockshox so I don't know. It is also my go to for bling, like fancy stems, leather seats, and such. It is also where you will see the pro's fancy custom bikes being serviced, which is neat.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 15:32 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
the rapey change from “foreplay” to “inevitable”

Should have called it "the implication"...

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
Camstyn wrote:


Skyride for me but Olympia seems good too. Tried Sun Country once when I was shopping for a Pivot and maybe I just caught them on a bad day. Try them all, they all have different vibes and it’s nice to have options.

Olympia is OK? I'm not a fan of Rocky or Kona and would rather ride what the shop I'm using supports.

Yes, Olympia is good. I have a Santa Cruz so it is another reason I go there often. Other than what brand bike you have, here are the reasons I have found for going to each of the 3 shops.

If you ski and are a believer in building up karma with a shop so they will be more willing to do you some kind of favour in the future, you can do so 4 seasons at Olympia. Think of it as frequent flyer points. Also, with Sun Country, they have a lot of kids stuff.

Sun Country has more tools for sale to build up your home garage. Also, like I said, the have an online shop that keeps an exhaustive list of what is currently in stock so there are no wasted trips. I also find they are a bit more likely to have parts in stock than does Olympia, though this year they are all short. However, they also seem to have the most road/commuter stuff in stock, and that makes it seem bigger than it is to us who only buy MTB stuff. Probably the best selection of kids stuff.

Sky Ride's focus on MTB means they tend to be more reliable if you, say, break a wheel and need a high end replacement on the spot with decent selection. I am told they recently acquired the ability to do warranty work on Fox suspensions so you don't have to send you stuff out of town. I only have Rockshox so I don't know. It is also my go to for bling, like fancy stems, leather seats, and such. It is also where you will see the pro's fancy custom bikes being serviced, which is neat.

Nice summary thanks!

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 17:01 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
I see 36DD got renamed on TF to just "36". 36 what?

36 inches of glorious tata's? Cool


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009276
Mobile Version of Website