Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
Ya that's a Shimano thing. Can only get complete assys such as caliper or complete lever assys.
Can't blame the shop for not keeping every old part around for years & year on the chance someone, someday might need some obscure part. I understand your frustration, but that's just the way things are now.
Not mentioning any names, but one shop (not Oly) in town will not sell you a chain unless they install it & get paid for labour.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
johnovey wrote:
Not mentioning any names, but one shop (not Oly) in town will not sell you a chain unless they install it & get paid for labour.

Name and Shame Johney. Thats what in interwebz is for.....

Ill try Skyride on Tuesday and then all the other shops in Kelowna. Hopefully there is something out there. I noticed another leak in the ZEE. If i have to maybe its time to break away from Shimano. 2 derailleurs due to malfunctions in the last 4 years, 3 sets of brakes... Time to realize its probably not just one of's and some of you are just as fat as me with no issues so its not that.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
I’m running TRP’s now because of the wandering bite point on my last 2 sets of Shimano Saints.
Doesn’t help your parts situation but if your thinking of moving on from Shimano brakes I say so far so good with TRP’s.

Odd thing is the TRP’s howl like crazy for the first few pulls after stopping and cooling down.
Like rolling off the wood ramp after the chair. Then once a few pulls in and warm again they are quiet. Odd that it’s the other way around than with other brakes in the past but I’ll take quiet once rolling ever time.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
I was a Shimano fanboy for years, but after swapping from Sram GX 12sp to Shimano XT 12sp, I'm not so sure anymore.
I don't think I'll get anywhere near the life out of the cassette or derailleur & the XT hub has needed lubing twice since the beginning of the year. It does shift a bit better under load, but it's not that much better. Also had to put chain oil on the rivets of the cassette to get it to STFU.
I will give the nod to the clutch on Shimano (even though it also needs regular maintenance), as the Sram clutch isn't strong enough.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
I’m running TRP’s now because of the wandering bite point on my last 2 sets of Shimano Saints.
Doesn’t help your parts situation but if your thinking of moving on from Shimano brakes I say so far so good with TRP’s.

Odd thing is the TRP’s howl like crazy for the first few pulls after stopping and cooling down.
Like rolling off the wood ramp after the chair. Then once a few pulls in and warm again they are quiet. Odd that it’s the other way around than with other brakes in the past but I’ll take quiet once rolling ever time.
Could be the dust, Shred. My Srams are doing the same in the dry, dusty Smokanagan.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
Yeah probably the dust.

This little bit of rain is very welcome. Keep it coming all night long mother nature, no lighting.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
johnovey wrote:
I was a Shimano fanboy for years, but after swapping from Sram GX 12sp to Shimano XT 12sp, I'm not so sure anymore.
I don't think I'll get anywhere near the life out of the cassette or derailleur & the XT hub has needed lubing twice since the beginning of the year. It does shift a bit better under load, but it's not that much better. Also had to put chain oil on the rivets of the cassette to get it to STFU.
I will give the nod to the clutch on Shimano (even though it also needs regular maintenance), as the Sram clutch isn't strong enough.

Oh yea. I forgot about the stuff hub that that sleeve that the skewer goes through cracked.

I think I may take shreds advice but I’ll have to see what’s available. Again if anyone has a broken set of zees…

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
So the entrance to the new enduro trail Throwback needs to be changed ASAP.
Had my first close interaction with hikers coming the other way today.
Glad I new about this shared bit of hike/bike trail at the start and was going slow or a kid would have got mowed down.

Has to be changed immediately or someone will get hit. I see there are flags in the trees right at the start so hopefully that means the trail crew will make a different bike entrance or hike route next week.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 14:48 Quote
Also rode the bottom of Shazam for the first time in… 7 years?… 8 years?
Anyway it’s be re-done and if t’s pretty decent now. Still can’t let her rip as some corners are tight but she flows much better than it did in the past. Well done again Silverstar trail crew. You’re killing it this year.

Now just give them some more rain.

Posted: Aug 14, 2021 at 18:58 Quote
Parts apocalypse persists. Seems to be disproportionately impacting LBSs over larger online retailers at present. The volume of bikes that have been diverted through my shade tree bike shop the last few months has been staggering… most arrive because they were unable to source parts locally

And that brings me to this…

If you were the “mechanic” that installed these fenders, or the sales rep that wheeled it out and took this sweet old ladies money, you should take zero pride in your technical ability…f*cking disgusting.

In other news, Silver Star administration offers racially segregated vaccination clinic. Admin quickly hustled all the brown skinned temporary foreign workers out of sight. Meanwhile all the white foreign works were welcome to line up for jabs in the village with the locals… warms my heart.

Posted: Aug 14, 2021 at 21:37 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Also rode the bottom of Shazam for the first time in… 7 years?… 8 years?
Anyway it’s be re-done and if t’s pretty decent now. Still can’t let her rip as some corners are tight but she flows much better than it did in the past. Well done again Silverstar trail crew. You’re killing it this year.

Now just give them some more rain.

I rode it today and was thinking how much better that whole trail is from my past memory. Love it now. Corkscrew feature is hilarious.

And yes, rain....

Posted: Aug 14, 2021 at 21:41 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Parts apocalypse persists. Seems to be disproportionately impacting LBSs over larger online retailers at present. The volume of bikes that have been diverted through my shade tree bike shop the last few months has been staggering… most arrive because they were unable to source parts locally

And that brings me to this…

If you were the “mechanic” that installed these fenders, or the sales rep that wheeled it out and took this sweet old ladies money, you should take zero pride in your technical ability…f*cking disgusting.

In other news, Silver Star administration offers racially segregated vaccination clinic. Admin quickly hustled all the brown skinned temporary foreign workers out of sight. Meanwhile all the white foreign works were welcome to line up for jabs in the village with the locals… warms my heart.

I was able to buy a backup rear mech and chain at skyride yesterday which seemed like a big deal. They seem to have a lot of Shimano stuff

Speaking of shops I took my bike to Sun Country and am now on my third awesome service experience there so they'll be seeing me even more now. Seems another nameless shop put my chain on backwards and didn't notice my banged up DR when they 'tuned' it and the dude at sun country put on a bunch of time to figure out the issues (I thought I needed a new cassette). He really went over and above.

Posted: Aug 14, 2021 at 23:35 Quote
That’s a lil ol lady bike? With clips? How does one install fenders wrong (asks the person who put his chain through the derailier backwards)?

I snagged a Shimano rear mech from sun country last month but I think it might have been the last one in Canada. I was lucky to be running 11 speed.

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 5:59 Quote
Skyride still has shimano 12spd stuff DRs and chains. Orded a cassette online but Sun Country I think may have those though, but no rear mechs. I can't believe I have a backup derailleur..

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 7:08 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
That’s a lil ol lady bike? With clips? How does one install fenders wrong (asks the person who put his chain through the derailier backwards)?

Supported adventure touring is big in the retired / nearly retired demographic. I also questioned the person (my wife) who directed this wayward cyclist to me… if you can book a supported tour across the country and order clothes online, I am pretty sure you can source tires/chain/cassette…. But unlike Silverstar, if you need help I don’t discriminate.

Fender question: mechanic pro tip, fenders should be installed with even spacing around the Tyres front and rear… in this case the shop monkey installed it so the Front fender is resting on the tire, causing noticeable friction/ noise. The lights from the dyno hub are finger tight, and the wires from the hub to the lights are resting on the tires… assuming u could overcome the friction and noise and ride this bike for more than 1km, the light kit would cease to be operational.

As some one who spent years turning out variable quality repairs in a shop environment, I get that things happen… but when a bike can’t roll on it’s own due the friction, and your “repair” is going to cause failure of other parts, it’s time to take a lap.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010005
Mobile Version of Website