Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
You have bikes and ebikes. Any other terminology is ridiculous.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Imagine a world without nicknames.

I love acoustic. Or maybe schmoped?

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
I like the term acoustic bikes because of the face people make when I say it.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Nicknames are fine. Schmoped is pretty funny but giving a bike the term acoustic as a differentiator is silly. Ebike is already identifying how it's different. But if we're making up nicknames for ebikes I would go with slobsled.

edit - please note I have nothing against ebikes. They're just not for me at this point in my life. I have ample free time to ride and part of that is climbing.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
My next bike is almost 100% hydro-powered. Love my current bike, but I just don't have much time for a ride longer than no-break BeKind lap and even getting up there feels like a commitment sometimes and I won't be pedalling up much faster any time soon. Social rides make bekind like 3 hours! I would LOVE to be able to be able to get up there or higher every ride, or get in two flowvid laps or whatever without dying of cramps and dehydration

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
p0zi wrote:
I don't even look at acoustic bikes anymore aside from pretty hardtails. Next bike will be electronic for sure. Double laps!

Why….. why are we calling them acoustic?

I’m not anti e-bike but damnit that name can die a fiery death.

Because guitars are acoustic or electric.
Is analogue better?
Manual?
Old school?

Oh I get it. I saw that whole Specialized piece with Tim Commodford. That made it worse.

Still a stupid term and sounds like a marketing person trying sooo hard to be cool. Ebike suffices.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Nicknames are fine. Schmoped is pretty funny but giving a bike the term acoustic as a differentiator is silly. Ebike is already identifying how it's different. But if we're making up nicknames for ebikes I would go with slobsled.

edit - please note I have nothing against ebikes. They're just not for me at this point in my life. I have ample free time to ride and part of that is climbing.

People always say climbing or suffering uphill is fun or the right of passage. It was a necessary evil back in the day but I put in my shit time climbing up shit climbs over the last 15 years. Enough was enough.
Now rides up and down are all enjoyable. This on the cusp of officially entering my back nine come February. I’ll leave those grinding climbs to the 20-30 year olds and steal every fresh nugget on the way down. #acouticpasser #onyourleft #loamrobber #nuggetnicker

Jokes of course so settle down Karen/Kyle if your offended.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:04 Quote
I think once you've ridden a chairlift or truck to the top of a hill all arguments are out the window. I will keep a pedal-friendly flinstone MTB around just to feel the archaic pain of a 'good' climb, though. Can't just have one bike. The real dilemma is do I keep a third bike for Silverstar or buy a mechanized mtb that's good in the park for those two short months?

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
It’s 3 months and yes, 3 bikes. Get a dual crown and join the mtb master race.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
My next bike is almost 100% hydro-powered. Love my current bike, but I just don't have much time for a ride longer than no-break BeKind lap and even getting up there feels like a commitment sometimes and I won't be pedalling up much faster any time soon. Social rides make bekind like 3 hours! I would LOVE to be able to be able to get up there or higher every ride, or get in two flowvid laps or whatever without dying of cramps and dehydration

One of my rides this year was up The Wall, Lookout Loop to Stone Free climbs, E-kind, Flowvid, Fraidy Cat, 36DD, No Boats and then old school pedal/push up Gingerly as I ran out of juice just after the kiosk. Tried to go a little to far in one charge. More ride is more. Still In under 3 hours.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
I still have analogue bike for the park and dirt jumper. 3 is key. (3 bikes that is)

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

People always say climbing or suffering uphill is fun or the right of passage. It was a necessary evil back in the day but I put in my shit time climbing up shit climbs over the last 15 years. Enough was enough.
Now rides up and down are all enjoyable. This on the cusp of officially entering my back nine come February. I’ll leave those grinding climbs to the 20-30 year olds and steal every fresh nugget on the way down. #acouticpasser #onyourleft #loamrobber #nuggetnicker

Jokes of course so settle down Karen/Kyle if your offended.

This “right of passage” thing seems like a modern endurobro mentality. Back in the DH/free ride days, we went through great lengths to figure out ways to avoid the climb. I even had a 50cc mini motorbike that I’d leave at the bottom for truck retrieval. I often wonder how ebikes would be received by that community, had they been invented before the enduro craze warped a fun atmosphere into an gruelling athletic one.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
That said. I should be at the Cosens parking lot at 3:30ish today should anyone want to E-ride. Lights on board.
17°C on December 1st can’t be passed up. Probably Lookout, Little Moab, Wild Earp and over to lower Kal. Maybe up to Twisted Sisters.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
That said. I should be at the Cosens parking lot at 3:30ish today should anyone want to E-ride. Lights on board.
17°C on December 1st can’t be passed up. Probably Lookout, Little Moab, Wild Earp and over to lower Kal. Maybe up to Twisted Sisters.

I would but I just did an acoustic set at Ellison/predator/. #unplugged

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:48 Quote
I just bought a titanium hardtail acoustic bike NFT for the metaverse while climbing Big Ed on my mullet ebike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009079
Mobile Version of Website