close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Author Message
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
My next bike is almost 100% hydro-powered. Love my current bike, but I just don't have much time for a ride longer than no-break BeKind lap and even getting up there feels like a commitment sometimes and I won't be pedalling up much faster any time soon. Social rides make bekind like 3 hours! I would LOVE to be able to be able to get up there or higher every ride, or get in two flowvid laps or whatever without dying of cramps and dehydration

One of my rides this year was up The Wall, Lookout Loop to Stone Free climbs, E-kind, Flowvid, Fraidy Cat, 36DD, No Boats and then old school pedal/push up Gingerly as I ran out of juice just after the kiosk. Tried to go a little to far in one charge. More ride is more. Still In under 3 hours.

luddites can have their steampunk bikes! That sounds amazing.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 16:10 Quote
Does no one like to climb anymore?!

I love the SF/SA/PG climb more than most of the descents in the area.

Coming from the sea to sky where everything seems to be totally smooth (legacy climb) or an FSR, it's awesome to be able to bust your lungs and get some tech challenges along the way. Riding intervals on it are an absolute blast.

You Elon Musk types have no idea how good you've had it!

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 16:18 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:
Does no one like to climb anymore?!

I love the SF/SA/PG climb more than most of the descents in the area.

Coming from the sea to sky where everything seems to be totally smooth (legacy climb) or an FSR, it's awesome to be able to bust your lungs and get some tech challenges along the way. Riding intervals on it are an absolute blast.

You Elon Musk types have no idea how good you've had it!

Do you have a Peleton too?

Don't get me wrong as far as pedalling goes, Stones Free is pretty good - I like the rocks and thinking - but I just don't like that even riding a few times a week I'm not getting in a Be Kind loop much under two hours without hating my life, so with driving etc. I've only done a sub-20km ride in 2.5 hours or so, based purley on the fact I just can't get up there any faster without any serious training. So while I don't hate climbs, I love downs and cruising more, so I'd rather my bike allowed for more of that. Same reason I'd rather do alpine skiing over cross country.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:

Do you have a Peleton too?

Yes lol

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
sheldonuvic wrote:
Does no one like to climb anymore?!

I love the SF/SA/PG climb more than most of the descents in the area.

Coming from the sea to sky where everything seems to be totally smooth (legacy climb) or an FSR, it's awesome to be able to bust your lungs and get some tech challenges along the way. Riding intervals on it are an absolute blast.

You Elon Musk types have no idea how good you've had it!

Do you have a Peleton too?

Don't get me wrong as far as pedalling goes, Stones Free is pretty good - I like the rocks and thinking - but I just don't like that even riding a few times a week I'm not getting in a Be Kind loop much under two hours without hating my life, so with driving etc. I've only done a sub-20km ride in 2.5 hours or so, based purley on the fact I just can't get up there any faster without any serious training. So while I don't hate climbs, I love downs and cruising more, so I'd rather my bike allowed for more of that. Same reason I'd rather do alpine skiing over cross country.

Uh oh… I like technical climbs and cross country skiing.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 18:20 Quote
I haven’t liked climbs since Broduro and Strava became all the rage. In the beginning of broduro it wasn’t so bad because people weren’t worry about personal bests.
I would gut it out and the people would wait for me. No more. I moved to E and do not apologize for it one bit.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
Good E-night ride with the Poachninja tonight. Might be the last with cold weather coming.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 19:13 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Good E-night ride with the Poachninja tonight. Might be the last with cold weather coming.

Yep, after an afternoon of early Dylan, I decided it was time to throw on some AC/DC.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 21:17 Quote
Even Dylan eventually went electric.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 21:38 Quote
I always recommended people to buy shred's old bikes. Hardly (lady) ridden, mostly pushed up-hill, gently cruised down on blue trails. Things changed. Don't ever buy Shred's used ebike, only ridden in BOOST, battery drained on every ride and even saw the occasional black trail. Just something to keep in mind.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 22:36 Quote
All trail mode all the time son. Boost only gets used to get up Ridge Trail, Sidewinder and Gingerly faster.

I’ll see you on your E-bike next year Mr. Dylan.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
ebikes are great for going up but certainly not as fun going down....

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 17:07 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:

Do you have a Peleton too?

Yes lol

Ahhh, one of those.


Don't get me wrong climbs arent the worst just a limiting factor in how much first-level fun you can get in.

Too poor to do E

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 20:18 Quote
Dam I’m an DH rider but I really enjoy biking up hill and seeing my progression and I think it makes you a better rider technique wise. For me it’s about being in the mountains longer and not about quantity.

I always wonder if they made an E-ski for the backcountry obviously wouldn’t work but if it did existed, what the backcountry skiing industry would think about it. I do pride my self on the hard work of using human powered sports and it seems like E-bikes is what is wrong with the popularity with adventure sports these days. From rock climbing, skiing, biking and other adventure sports, the industry is trying to adhere to the masses. We are losing something special and hopefully it’s just a phase like the 80s extreme sport craze.

I do think there’s a place for light weight gear, E-bikes, shuttles, chairlift but let’s remember why we go in the mountains and it’s not always for more.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 22:19 Quote
I think there are young guys who have a lot of time to dedicate to riding, and there are those of us sucked into the rat race where we get a few hours a week. An ebike lets you make the most out of your limited riding time and hit more trails that generally just are not accessible due to time constraints.

It also opens up things like doing laps of Noble without a shuttle. The ride up is actually quite enjoyable and nobody has to be on shuttle duty. They definitely have their place. You’ll see the loudest protesters riding the chair lift at SS or having shuttle days so just do you and ignore the noise because most people are full of shit these days anyways.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008629
Mobile Version of Website