Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
The problem is entitled white boomers. Long before it was vogue, my thesis has been than cycling (from its inception to modern day) is the embodiment of privilege. Change my mind.

After that…. Let me know how well your ebike works out on a multiday backcountry bike packing trip… would you get your guide to cary the extra batteries? Or maybe just have the heli drop caches in strategic locations? … maybe leverage your “dirt bag” status and self support with a bob trailer with a generator?

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
Other than my small group of VRT buddies, my main exposure to cyclists is driving by them in downtown Vernon. I can’t confirm privilege or not but I can confirm that they are mostly white.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 10:54 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
Other than my small group of VRT buddies, my main exposure to cyclists is driving by them in downtown Vernon. I can’t confirm privilege or not but I can confirm that they are mostly white.

I think most non-bikers are white in Vernon too.

If there's an entitled sport, it's downhill skiing. Chairlifts and shitloads of polyester just slide around some hills, followed by over consumption of food and drink like you just climbed Everest. At least some dirtbag kid can scrape together some piece of shit and go play in the woods for free. Skiing you either pay to enter, or pay ever more for better gear + snowmobiles etc. to do backcountry for 'free'.

Biking and Skiing make life worth living, so I'm thankful for the privilege.

Why are we angry about ebikes mid-winter? I haven't touched a bike in 2 months. I do. miss the easy of a quick rip and the lack of dependance on very specific types of precipitation. The last two weeks have SUCKED.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Skiing you either pay to enter, or pay ever more for better gear + snowmobiles etc. to do backcountry for 'free'.

Very true with the snowmobiles. That's hilarious.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 11:26 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
The problem is entitled white boomers. Long before it was vogue, my thesis has been than cycling (from its inception to modern day) is the embodiment of privilege. Change my mind.

Ever been to non western country? Bikes are a literal lifesaver for places with poor infrastructure and extreme poverty.

So much so, in fact, that most major world charities have programs directly targeted to providing bikes as a sustainable form of low-cost transportation.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

Ever been to non western country? Bikes are a literal lifesaver for places with poor infrastructure and extreme poverty.

So much so, in fact, that most major world charities have programs directly targeted to providing bikes as a sustainable form of low-cost transportation.

Bikes saved me from sitting on a streetcar for 45min-120min each way in winter. Freedom and savings!

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 9:15 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:

I regurgitated this notion a fair bit in a past life, but find myself questioning whether it holds water.

Not sure I've seen a good example of an impoverished nation mobilized by bikes... Haiti? Nepal? Nigeria?

Afghanistan might be an ok case to present

but "literal lifesavers"??? maybe plausible as a convenience in some environments for those with access to them.

ya... privileged people, through charities, will randomly decide all people should have bikes, just like deciding all people should have Jesus in their lives

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
sheldonuvic wrote:

I regurgitated this notion a fair bit in a past life, but find myself questioning whether it holds water.

Not sure I've seen a good example of an impoverished nation mobilized by bikes... Haiti? Nepal? Nigeria?

Afghanistan might be an ok case to present

but "literal lifesavers"??? maybe plausible as a convenience in some environments for those with access to them.

ya... privileged people, through charities, will randomly decide all people should have bikes, just like deciding all people should have Jesus in their lives

They are or were pretty integral to lower income, high density, Asian nations on the cusp of developing better motorized infrastructure. However, The rapid growth of 4cycle scooter production over the last 20 years or so has made once ubiquitous bikes far more rare in places like Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia. I’ve read that “flyover” China is really bike centric.

There may be well meaning charities sending bikes to the less industrialized states, but any nation that I know of that relies on bikes has an extremely well established local production, maintenance and retail network. As an aside, the most developed Asian nation, japan, is still hugely bike reliant. Much more so than, say, the less developed Asian countries that more recently relied on them. Japan uses them in the suburbs of their mega cities to commute to the closest public transport hub. With little theft issues, people are comfortable parking their bikes in open lots near subway stations and there can be literally hundreds upon hundreds of bikes in one lot. Everyone seems to have the same utility cruiser type bike, so finding it amongst hundreds when you’re off your face drunk is a major problem, in my experience.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 10:21 Quote
They are definitely depended on in some countries. There is a story in this thread from years ago from XB and a co worker from I want to say Peru who wanted to bike with him after work And bought a $20 huffy bike and laid waste to everyone because it was what they used growing up for transportation. I’ll try and dig it up. Saddle time=skill

But evolution of society wasn’t how fast you can get from point a to b. It was domestication of animals for loads for farming. Moving. Transportation of goods The bike is just to solo to make any real difference other than convenience and even then you need a graduated infrastructure.

In modern society though it will get you to your job at a call centre efficiently.

I have been thinking about this group and it has changed. I think that what people who have joined dont realize is this was a community. All the regulars through the years knew each other in real life and most of us where friends.It was known This was a platform to be an idiot and that nothing was ever taken seriously. One of the members used to send us all dick picks. Not his own but ones he found. We tried to make each other laugh in the worst possible ways sometimes.

We know have a board of strangers which is ok for the moment. We have met some people off here in the last year that have come helped dig but we should get back to being friends outside of this bullshit. Most of us are getting old on here now so for me there is no more jumping trucks. Duck I walked the hammered cow Slabs 2 years ago. I’ll fight anyone on here who teases me about it. But really it doesn’t matter. Next spring if the invite goes out and it’s not something stupid like climathon 2022 I’m probably in. And everyone on here should to.

My 2 cents getting this horrid place back on track.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
Vernonjeff, I totally agree not the same anymore. Specially after losing a good bro to a bunch of us.
Now after two years of foot therapy, think I can rip it up again and put that high mileage pick back in the ground. Looking forward to this season.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
pureadrenalin wrote:
Vernonjeff, I totally agree not the same anymore. Specially after losing a good bro to a bunch of us.
Now after two years of foot therapy, think I can rip it up again and put that high mileage pick back in the ground. Looking forward to this season.

We should do that stupid road climb to the top next year

If anyone doesn’t know this isn’t he original builder for baconator. I got NOCS to agree to a volunteer trail day next year and we are working on a trail boss system. I’m looking forward to it to.

Ps. I bought a dirt bike also. Just in case you missed it. I have an idea I’ll share when we talk

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 11:31 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
pureadrenalin wrote:

We should do that stupid road climb to the top next year

If anyone doesn’t know this isn’t he original builder for baconator. I got NOCS to agree to a volunteer trail day next year and we are working on a trail boss system. I’m looking forward to it to.

Ps. I bought a dirt bike also. Just in case you missed it. I have an idea I’ll share when we talk

I’ll have to show you the other climb up, least it gets you mostly off of the rally race main road.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 12:36 Quote
Marco build Baconator over top of an old trail called "Her Little Sister", it was the lower part. The upper trail was "Your Best Friend's Girlfriend", which started with a hike-a-bike just past the current entrance to SOS. Those were built in the early '90s.
The entrance to the upper part was hidden & I made sure no one rode to the entrance, to keep motos from finding it.
For you newbs, yes we actually used to hike our bikes up some steeps to get to the good stuff.
Now I'm getting misty eyed, remembering the days of "flow is what you made it", not " we made it flow for grandma".

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
And here comes the dick Picts. ….

Johnny come to nobles next year we will show you a good time. Also in need of trail fairies. No fines no register. Just nature abs and sweet sounds of guns and dirt bikes.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
Funny, 'cause my first impulse was to send a dick pic!
Will def give you guys a hand. Fighting off Omi at the moment.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009920
Mobile Version of Website