Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Weird question: This is at least the second time in Kal Park I've heard a sound that repeats like a golf ball bouncing on a hard surface (big bounce followed by smaller bounces to ending with rapid bounces) but it's a deeper faint kinda basey/echo almost like a far-away boom. It's super friggin weird and I've only heard it around there. Some deer ran by after and the actual sound wasn't too dissimliar than them stomping over soft needle filled hollow-sounding earth, but it's the pattern that is so odd. I'm not losing my mind, swear! It only happens there and it's been at least year. Or maybe Kal makes me hallucinate? Maybe it's some strange kind of bike induced tinnitus, but the pattern is just to specific. No idea really. Help a bro!

Oh for f*cks sake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVfiIp3QGs4

Don’t take the brown acid, man

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 14:10 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
Weird question: This is at least the second time in Kal Park I've heard a sound that repeats like a golf ball bouncing on a hard surface (big bounce followed by smaller bounces to ending with rapid bounces) but it's a deeper faint kinda basey/echo almost like a far-away boom. It's super friggin weird and I've only heard it around there. Some deer ran by after and the actual sound wasn't too dissimliar than them stomping over soft needle filled hollow-sounding earth, but it's the pattern that is so odd. I'm not losing my mind, swear! It only happens there and it's been at least year. Or maybe Kal makes me hallucinate? Maybe it's some strange kind of bike induced tinnitus, but the pattern is just to specific. No idea really. Help a bro!

Don’t take the brown acid, man

Grouse pills. Watch the video, that's the sound!

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 14:39 Quote

Well done on figuring it out!

Nature is neat!

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 17:32 Quote
Yes it’s the grouse. Did the same damn thing when I moved here 20 years ago. Heard it lots in woods and figured it out.

Snow usually sticks around the top half of SoS until near the end of April. Basically from the gap jump up. Shouldn’t be long now but I haven’t been out there yet to check the top 1/2.

Covid ended up getting me. I’ve been down for the count since Friday last week but think I may have turned the corner now. If feeling better later this week (after the 5 days quarantine, Thursday) I’ll try and get out there to check out the top 1/2.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 22:03 Quote
Rode sos and baconator on the weekend and both were great. The caveat being that, while we could drive to the top, we had to push in over the double track. As it was frozen solid, it was an easy push but anything softer may have been a nightmare. We also had a frost gripped trail at the top, which was great for traction but the warmer weather and rain may have changed that since.

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
Rode sos and baconator on the weekend and both were great. The caveat being that, while we could drive to the top, we had to push in over the double track. As it was frozen solid, it was an easy push but anything softer may have been a nightmare. We also had a frost gripped trail at the top, which was great for traction but the warmer weather and rain may have changed that since.

Pretty much what I thought. Everyone is always so hyped to get out in Nobles early but really only Baconator from the power lines down is ready before end of April.
Thanks for the info Poach.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 6:23 Quote
decoverley wrote:

Nature is neat!

Those birds are pretty cool. I thought for sure it was a UFO or one of those Cuban sonic weapons I keep reading about.

Big log down on Flowvid yesterday, otherwise conditions were pretty good. Stonefree climb is damp, but not in a bad way. Bit of grease on Flowvid, but I think would have been better in the afternoon. I'm sure anything higher is gonna be pretty wet as it seems like the ground hasn't totally thawed yet. Twista is mint.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
decoverley wrote:

Nature is neat!

Those birds are pretty cool. I thought for sure it was a UFO or one of those Cuban sonic weapons I keep reading about.

Big log down on Flowvid yesterday, otherwise conditions were pretty good. Stonefree climb is damp, but not in a bad way. Bit of grease on Flowvid, but I think would have been better in the afternoon. I'm sure anything higher is gonna be pretty wet as it seems like the ground hasn't totally thawed yet. Twista is mint.

Pali just before Be Kind (and Be Kind) still had a fair bit of snow on the weekend; I'd give it another two weeks or so.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 23:52 Quote
decoverley wrote:

Nature is neat!

Ran over a grouse today on the way back from Whistler at about 90km/h leaving Lillooet. It was standing in the middle of the lane, oncoming traffic so I centered it. The f*cking thing stood there completely unfazed in the rearview mirror, it had not even flinched.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 15:51 Quote
Probably one of those daredevil grouse doing stupid shit for grouse social media and grouse energy drink contracts.

Posted: May 1, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
Anyone experience the shit show that was Kal this morning?

Would have been nice for the trail association to give a heads up that there was going to be a 200+ person trail running race along all the major arteries in the park.

Posted: May 1, 2022 at 15:59 Quote
Joint use bro. Do your thing. Tell them to move

Posted: May 1, 2022 at 20:34 Quote
Just wait until you encounter an unannounced equestrian event.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 22:59 Quote
We have hit this age where the legends and hero's are moving to greener pasture. It is with a heavy heart that I am letting you know that Peter Dorey has went to the happy loamy place and has joined some of the others we have lost in the last few years. Although we weren't close I respected the shit out of all Peter has given us and was always a staunch supporter of the people who exceled in our sport. He ran Olympia and brought the Sprockids program to Vernon. He gave us more than anyone realizes. We owe him our gratitude and tonight I am raising a glass to him and all he has done. The world is less without you Peter. Rest in peace.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014482
Mobile Version of Website