Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: May 7, 2022 at 0:22 Quote
Pete will surly be missed, he was such a influence to our bike and skiing community. Definitely he was a big founding father for NOCS.
I will miss you my friend…

O+
Posted: May 7, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
We have hit this age where the legends and hero's are moving to greener pasture. It is with a heavy heart that I am letting you know that Peter Dorey has went to the happy loamy place and has joined some of the others we have lost in the last few years. Although we weren't close I respected the shit out of all Peter has given us and was always a staunch supporter of the people who exceled in our sport. He ran Olympia and brought the Sprockids program to Vernon. He gave us more than anyone realizes. We owe him our gratitude and tonight I am raising a glass to him and all he has done. The world is less without you Peter. Rest in peace.
Thanks for that Jeff.
Pete was a big influence in my life. Always a smile, tough as nails & you can bet that if you ride a trail in the area, Pete had some involvement in it.
There will be some form of memorial in the future, but as per his request, he wanted a happy event. So the family will give it a bit of time to let the tears settle.
I was fortunate to have seen Pete a few days ago & typically he was more concerned for those he left behind, than he was for himself.
See you on the trail, Pete.

Posted: May 8, 2022 at 20:02 Quote
Don't know you guys, but follow along. Very entertaining, informative and almost educational. I also don't know Pete, but he sounds like he was a pretty important person in the bike and ski world and life in general. As a fellow rider, I raise a glass ...

O+
Posted: May 8, 2022 at 22:36 Quote
Sorry to hear about Pete, especially so short after retirement. Didn’t know him well but my interactions with him on the trails, his shop at the time, and with Sprockids a couple years back told me he was genuine in his desire for people to enjoy what our area provides.

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
Always unfortunate to hear of a prominent community member passing. Sorry for the loss, fellas.

On a different note, what are people usually riding when it is wet out here? Is Ellison basically the go to to minimize trail damage?

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 12:52 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:
Always unfortunate to hear of a prominent community member passing. Sorry for the loss, fellas.

On a different note, what are people usually riding when it is wet out here? Is Ellison basically the go to to minimize trail damage?

I knew Pete mainly from BBQs and the ski shop, I never rode with him. I met him when I met XB, in fact, at one of XB's silver star hotdog stand parties. Coincidently, I was out riding with some dads on Friday before we knew Pete had passed and he came up as the pre-eminent "old guys who can still rip" in the area. He will be missed by many.

Ellison is the go to when things are really saturated, like very early season just as the snow melts, but most trails in Vernon run great in the kind of wet we get. We do most of our trail damage when things are bone dry.

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 14:18 Quote
Good to know!

Maybe it was me being overly concerned, but I definitely think the Kal trails I have been riding lately (be-kind, flowvid, fraidy cat and DD) have taken an absolute shit kicking with the recent weather we have had.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:
Good to know!

Maybe it was me being overly concerned, but I definitely think the Kal trails I have been riding lately (be-kind, flowvid, fraidy cat and DD) have taken an absolute shit kicking with the recent weather we have had.

It’s less the weather and more the extreme increase in traffic. I blame the influx of latte sipping, laptop toting, man bun sporting transplants from the GTA.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 15:30 Quote
coolioyoung wrote:
Don't know you guys, but follow along. Very entertaining, informative and almost educational. I also don't know Pete, but he sounds like he was a pretty important person in the bike and ski world and life in general. As a fellow rider, I raise a glass ...

I agree that this place is “almost educational”. I’m still left wondering by something cmcrawford alluded to early in the pandemic but we never resolved. Why was the government pushing us so hard to wash our hands after taking a piss but then telling us that glory holes were ok?

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 20:36 Quote
Took a spin from my house out to Predator/Ellison and back tonight. Went up the new climb trail in Ellison. Up to where the work is being done and back down that is.
Gotta say the super friendly days of climbing Ridge are definitely over. That new climb trail is going to be a switchback grunt all the way up.
Think out of Beowulf but much shorter of course. That said Contour is doing a great job with the terrain they have to work with for a climb trail. However I’m glad I’ve gone E.
If I did that climb on my acoustic bike I wouldn’t have any gas left to get back up and over to my house.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
How close are they to finishing that climb trail? I really need downhill connector back in my life.

As an aside, I know that predator owns the land and are very friendly to trail development, but one can’t help but pause and think about our priorities as a society when such a gorgeous piece of once public trail gets turned into more cookie cutter 2nd homes for the mass affluent.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 15:19 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
How close are they to finishing that climb trail? I really need downhill connector back in my life.

As an aside, I know that predator owns the land and are very friendly to trail development, but one can’t help but pause and think about our priorities as a society when such a gorgeous piece of once public trail gets turned into more cookie cutter 2nd homes for the mass affluent.

Tell me more about our priorities as a society...

VAN HORN TEXAS - JULY 20 Jeff Bezos walks near Blue Origin s New Shepard after flying into space on July 20 2021 in Van Horn Texas. Mr. Bezos and the crew that flew with him were the first human spaceflight for the company. Photo by Joe Raedle Getty Images

O+
Posted: May 12, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Poachninja wrote:

Tell me more about our priorities as a society...

Yup, and while everyone is busy virtue signalling and telling other people how to live their lives, how to feel and what to think, most would sell their soul at the first given opportunity. Hypocrisy and narcissism is rampant, society has gone to shit. And that's not aimed at you guys, just generally speaking.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 17:27 Quote
Hey, that's my kid. Why you Makin fun of him! He's got a slow metabolism. Slow metabolism I say!!!

O+
Posted: May 13, 2022 at 6:31 Quote
Me too with the metabolism. These beers just go straight to my hips no matter how much I ride!

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020352
Mobile Version of Website