Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 11:05 Quote
I rented a fatbike at Silverstar years ago when the snow was extra shit and it totally was all climbing in every direction, except for the occassional brief down which was basically like riding a skinny, cause if you go off trail things were not good. I think some spots in Kal might be flattish enough to not fully hate your life.

I've reminded myself why don't have one anymore.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 11:53 Quote
This is just like the riding we do on our Fat Tuesday Sun Country night rides

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2546787765549730

Barrels of fun and all on analogue fatties.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 13:47 Quote
With fat biking, it's best to ditch the water bottle, & add a flask.
Seems to ease the pain.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
johnovey wrote:
Seems to ease the pain.

This reads like wisdom…

To me fat biking is like sand skiing, It might be fun for its novelty once in a while but doing it regularly is a sure sign of a deep seated denial about your current location or season. I’d sooner xc ski if I was worried about cardio.

That said, an e fatbike sounds like it could be fun, if you could get past the double dorkiness of it… I guess none of the cool kids will be up at the fatbike trails to see you. Lifting one onto the truck also seems like it could be an effort.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 15:37 Quote
johnovey wrote:
Seems to ease the pain.
Bailey's and coffee in a pump carafe strapped to the rear rack for convenience, small paper cups are perfect volume for shots

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/10-things-i-loved-in-2022-mike-levy.html

I think Pinkbike needs to round out this article and get Vernon Jeff to write a counter article about the 10 things he hated in MTBing in 2022.

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 15:05 Quote
1. E
2. V
3. E
4. R
5. Y
6. T
7. H
8. I
9. N
10. G

Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 19:28 Quote
Number 2 would be diversity being only what you can see and not a diversity of opinion. Not agreeing I wouldn’t call hate.

Ps. f*ck Specialized. Probably number 3 right now.

Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 19:32 Quote
number 4

photo

Number 5

Shuttle day no shows....

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 19:56 Quote
If you want diversity of opinion, here goes.

I'm going to start with your photo of freaky ebikers reversing gender roles and getting kinky while the strava chasing enduro bros are counting their thrusts per minute in missionary position and acting like being high on that that ranking is some kind of badge of honor.

For all the shit that ebikers get for diluting the sport, I'm of the opinion that there was a worse invention that contaminated, at least DH/freeride bike culture, and that is the enduro bike. Before that, there was a bit of a demarcation between endurance athlete bullshit and freeriding. With the invention off the enduro bike, we got the much welcomed ability to pedal up to trails that were either nigh on impossible to access or compromised in decent if we did. However, with that ability, we had to put up with endurance athlete hyper competitiveness on uphill times, their insufferable "earn your turns" gatekeeping, and their general sanctimonious demeanor that exceeds their counterparts in backcountry skiing. I'm of the (minority) opinion that the freeride biking community would have been better off had they invented dual crown ebikes before the enduro bike, and skipped the influx of these holier than though c*nts straddling xc and freeriding in a way no other gravity sport has to endure.

Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 20:42 Quote
I like it!!!! But its so complicated.

I don't think its the bikes that have caused the division. We all started on trail bikes and worked our way up to bigger faster stuff. There is a couple of thoughts I have here.

The first is the confusion that XC, Freeride, Downhill, Trials, Enduro or even Road are the same sport. They are not. They are no more the same sport as golf, frisbee gold, pool or basketball ball. Even though they are all about putting balls in a hole they are not the same.

So biking has some spin off but for some reason people pick their bike type and start arguing about who likes other men the most. (its e-bikers by the way not that there is anything wrong with that) Every time something new comes out there is a huge segment that wants to do the same sport with something that is clearly something different. But it is sold as an advantage. Strava times get better because trails get straightened, rocks get removed. Need to work on Monday so lets make it safe. People are also starting younger and what is possible keeps getting pushed and there is more saddle time because more access and trails. I don't think its the equipment. It gets credit. So the prices keep going up . Now its about money, buying an advantage and marketing that its all the same sport to the same user group and people get sucked in. Next thing you know if you want to ride with poach you needs an anal discombobulater type bike or if Jess you need a motor that runs off energy generated from your man bun... it causes division because all we really want it to ride with each other.

Ebike really piss me off as they are no different than steroids. It like golf but the ball goes in a cannon. its not the same. you can like it but at that point you may as well be doing steroids.

For me I like what's been going on in Noble. I haven't had a lot of time and have had some pretty serious personal issues the last couple of years. But having a few beers, hanging with my friends, digging jumps.... that is something that cant be marketed.

So if you want to know what I hate in mountain biking? its not anything to do with mountain biking. Its marketing, it share holders, it new people that have no sense of history or interest in the sport they supposedly love, Its people not putting the work in to get better, it's jargon, It's organizations that make it about money and try to make it beneficial to a few. When I take a shot at e-bikers I'm taking a shot at the division. It used to be just having a bike made us friends. I have a dirt bike so you can like different sports...I love MTB. its been my life... I'm a purist.. When I have built trails all I thought about was I hoped people would enjoy them. Giving back to something I loved with out expectation of reciprocation or renumeration. When I ride I just want to be with my friends. its all changed.. I'm old... it was better before.

/rant

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 6:48 Quote
The worst thing about mountain biking, like all of life, is the f*cking internet. Braindumps on esoteric shit that get us riled, whether it be about ebiking or covid shots or manbuns, its is a breeding ground for division & envy. It's all about pick your fave opinion and be a dick about it. Few people have the guts to be so aggressive in their opinion when staring at a real face, and we'd never have so many people to share it with in real life. Fortunately or unfortunately the same toxic internet magic is also how many people have gotten to know each other and be real life friends. If there was a way to allow for the connection without the irritation that'd be awesome.

As for ebikes, the only thing that pisses me off is knowing a critical mass of riders I know will end up having them and I'll feel forced to get one to keep up. I love the idea of more laps, but kinda hate everything else about them (weight, uncharged batteris, costs) as I'm a semi-luddite. I don't even like shuttling much cause it's too complicated. I just wanna be on my bike for a 1-3 hours a few times a week and would rather it didn't involve 1-3 extra hours of trucks & shit. I do like the beer in the woods part, but rarely have time especially on weekends. Chairlifts are an exception cause I can do dozens of kms of downs, which is friggin awesome.

Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
Shuttling isn't complicated if you do it all the time but there is a lot of wear on your truck. I haven't bought a new truck because of the back road damage that happens. As for ebikes... Im just done. We are building up a DJ. Im looking for a cheap double crown and Ill be doing more riding by myself of with my son next year As I cant keep up financially and Im just not going to try anymore. I like the solitude of Enduro but its definitely not a team sport.

Are we going to talk about Specialized and what they just pulled or is Specialized just made themselves so irrelevant over the last couple of years that no one cares anymore?

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
Shuttling isn't complicated if you do it all the time but there is a lot of wear on your truck. I haven't bought a new truck because of the back road damage that happens. As for ebikes... Im just done. We are building up a DJ. Im looking for a cheap double crown and Ill be doing more riding by myself of with my son next year As I cant keep up financially and Im just not going to try anymore. I like the solitude of Enduro but its definitely not a team sport.

Are we going to talk about Specialized and what they just pulled or is Specialized just made themselves so irrelevant over the last couple of years that no one cares anymore?

What'd specialized do?

They have nice stuff, but I never want their bikes.

I also ride solo more than half the time. I like humans & all, but am a last minute rider on the regular. Another reason shuttling etc. doesn't work well. Need to plan more than 17 minutes before.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020624
Mobile Version of Website