Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2022 at 11:00 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
My 2 cents on current innovation/progression

I thing we're at a plateau vs. were we were earlier in the last decade. Take the Santa Cruz nomad, which I only use because I had a V2 from 2012 and a v4 from 2017. The difference between those 2 bikes, 5 years apart, was night and day. The geometry was completely different from every perspective, not just longer and slacker with bigger wheels in the later bike, but different linkage systems, shorter stems and bars, shorter cranks, different travel etc. The tech was miles apart as well. The 2012 was a 3x9, with now discontinued 2pot brakes, smaller rotors, a 2 generations older fork damper, with no through axle in the back and so on. Now consider the more recent 5 year period and take the 2022 v5 Nomad vs my V4 and the main differences are 12 speed instead of 11, which makes little difference to me, some mostly unnoticeable geo tweaks (though I would like the slightly steeper seat tube angle), more internal cable routing that I wouldn't want anyway, and a thicker stanchion fork with the same damper. The 2023 V6 has gone mullet, and that is the single improvement that would possibly make me consider an upgrade but I think I could replicate it anyway with an aftermarket linkage and a new 38 stanchion 29er fork, If was keen.

I was thrilled when the V3 Hightower came out and I couldn't tell the difference from my V2.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2022 at 14:12 Quote
decoverley wrote:
Poachninja wrote:

I thing we're at a plateau vs. were we were earlier in the last decade. Take the Santa Cruz nomad, which I only use because I had a V2 from 2012 and a v4 from 2017. The difference between those 2 bikes, 5 years apart, was night and day. The geometry was completely different from every perspective, not just longer and slacker with bigger wheels in the later bike, but different linkage systems, shorter stems and bars, shorter cranks, different travel etc. The tech was miles apart as well. The 2012 was a 3x9, with now discontinued 2pot brakes, smaller rotors, a 2 generations older fork damper, with no through axle in the back and so on. Now consider the more recent 5 year period and take the 2022 v5 Nomad vs my V4 and the main differences are 12 speed instead of 11, which makes little difference to me, some mostly unnoticeable geo tweaks (though I would like the slightly steeper seat tube angle), more internal cable routing that I wouldn't want anyway, and a thicker stanchion fork with the same damper. The 2023 V6 has gone mullet, and that is the single improvement that would possibly make me consider an upgrade but I think I could replicate it anyway with an aftermarket linkage and a new 38 stanchion 29er fork, If was keen.

I was thrilled when the V3 Hightower came out and I couldn't tell the difference from my V2.

That's when you know you've made it. My Ripmo is going into 2023 basically unchanged aside from paint, and considering I have the cool-guy headbage vs a sticker, I'd say I'm winning considering it's like 800 bucks more expensive now.

Posted: Dec 22, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
[Quote="jesse-effing-edwards"]
decoverley wrote:
Poachninja wrote:

\I was thrilled when the V3 Hightower came out and I couldn't tell the difference from my V2.

That's when you know you've made it. My Ripmo is going into 2023 basically unchanged aside from paint, and considering I have the cool-guy headbage vs a sticker, I'd say I'm winning considering it's like 800 bucks more expensive now.

Just 800$? That's basically the price of a coffee and scone these days.

Posted: Dec 23, 2022 at 6:53 Quote
….

I think after a lot of thought I’m going to dump this forum. It’s been a fun ride but it seems that in the new world people are too worried about putting themselves out there getting engaged . This was why this forum over the years had thrived. It wasn’t real life but I guess with the new world it’s one and the same. It’s too bad.

I’ll still be around. We will need help with various trail projects at different times and I hope I can count on this forum like we always have. This forum has given so much to biking not just in this area but everywhere. For a small little community we had followers from everywhere.

Thanks for all the laughs, frustrations, friendships and experiences. See ya around.

Posted: Dec 26, 2022 at 22:30 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
NOCS ATM?! Ass To Mouth? Is this near the glory hole?

Everyone knows rock and roll was perfected in 1973 and mountain bikes in 2013.

Rock n’ roll was actually 1975 - Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti… but you were close. Wink

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2022 at 10:37 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Poachninja wrote:
NOCS ATM?! Ass To Mouth? Is this near the glory hole?

Everyone knows rock and roll was perfected in 1973 and mountain bikes in 2013.

Rock n’ roll was actually 1975 - Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti… but you were close. Wink

I was just quoting Homer Simpson, so when you countered I looked it up and you are right, 1975 out rocked 1973. Not just Physical Graffiti but Pink Floyd’s Wish You We’re Here, Queens Night at the Opera, Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks, Springsteen’s born to Run, Ted nugents self titled album, and the list goes on and on.

Did you know that Coldplay was the last rock artist to have a popular top 10 album? Rock and roll died not with a bang, but a whimper… kind of like VRT

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2023 at 22:53 Quote
When does riding usually start around these parts?! The Yukon was normally late May early June, hoping to get started a lot earlier than that!

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 6:34 Quote
uncleric09 wrote:
When does riding usually start around these parts?! The Yukon was normally late May early June, hoping to get started a lot earlier than that!

You might get out a bit earlier.

I'm usually riding lower level stuff in mid-late March. Ellison is earliest I think early, and lookout trail is pretty early as well, although the climb up can be messy. Basically the trails that are nearest the lake and face south will be ready quite a bit earlier, depending on snow. Better experts here than me, though.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 7:43 Quote
uncleric09 wrote:

If you’re really keen, Knox in Kelowna can be rideable in feb sometimes.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 8:16 Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the responses… I’m looking forward to an actual spring

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 11:45 Quote
Only my third winter here, but it comes early but seems to also leave early. I've been riding all the time after the ski hill closes the last two springs. Hoping the trend continues!

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 14:08 Quote
Follow up to that. Planning ski trip on March. Of course all ski hills say they have their best conditions all the time. Mid March getting pretty slushy ? Best to stick w Rockies maybe?

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 15:22 Quote
cameronbikes wrote:
Follow up to that. Planning ski trip on March. Of course all ski hills say they have their best conditions all the time. Mid March getting pretty slushy ? Best to stick w Rockies maybe?

Crap shoot. I've stayed at Silverstar the last two march breaks. 1st year, sunny, above zero (although not enough) and was skiingin a fleece. 2nd year had snow every day. Had fresh tracks the last weekend at big white in April.. . Again, not the expert, but I'd plan early or higher than 6000ft.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 17:38 Quote
I wouldn't say its a crap shoot, as I've been going to SS for 4 years and only during one week in one march did it go above zero long enough to melt and not heal. Most Marches have been pretty good, actually, with less crowds and more sun. I WISH it turned to spring skiing up there in March, as I miss slush skiing in t-shirts more than anything since I moved here.

I guess Jesse and I, both recent transplants, are all that's left of VRT. Where XB was the Jimmi Hendrix, we are the Coldplay of VRT.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 20:40 Quote
March is a good month for the local hills for skiing. Some of my top ski days have been late March. Usually some good spring storms come through and the temperatures are below 0.

If the right stars align late march days can start with a good powder ski and end with some lower level riding in the afternoon in Ellison. Most of the good riding doesn’t typically open up until April though and the higher up stuff is often pushing into June.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016908
Mobile Version of Website