Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 9:18 Quote
El Nino is going to be quite an eye opener for a few of you new guys eh?

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 11:15 Quote
I've had great times in March, but if I was taking time off work and booking a weekend or something I wouldn't do it mid late March cause freeze thaw can make shit lame.

Tell me more about your El Nino experience. I keep hearing about these stupid kids, but it hasn't amounted to much for me so far. Aside from the last two years I've mostly come in January 5 or 6 times and then once before in march like 10 years go.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 11:21 Quote
dfbland wrote:

Perhaps it will be but we’ll have to wait until at least next season to find out given that we’re in a strong La Niña at the moment (I actually don’t know what La Niña means for here either but so far so good.)

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 11:26 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
dfbland wrote:

Perhaps it will be but we’ll have to wait until at least next season to find out given that we’re in a strong La Niña at the moment (I actually don’t know what La Niña means for here either but so far so good.)

Those El Nino years have you biking all year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o
The girls usually make it colder, the boys make it hotter. Typical..

Triple la nina this year. Nov/December was pretty great, but January has bee kinda lame. Hoping that turns around soon.
https://www.skimag.com/news/third-la-nina-winter-forcasted-for-2022-23/

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 11:53 Quote
Having spent the past 4 years skiing the backcountry here and chatting with those that have been here longer, I get the impression that it’s not as big a variable in determining snowfall in a season here in the interior. In japan, however, it makes a huge difference, with La Niña bringing insane snowfall, especially on the main island. They’re already at 3m settled base in some resorts and the snow has only been falling for a month.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 14:10 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
Having spent the past 4 years skiing the backcountry here and chatting with those that have been here longer, I get the impression that it’s not as big a variable in determining snowfall in a season here in the interior. In japan, however, it makes a huge difference, with La Niña bringing insane snowfall, especially on the main island. They’re already at 3m settled base in some resorts and the snow has only been falling for a month.

Probably that wild jet stream keeping everyone on their toes.

I've been skiing a lot for almost two months and I'm actually missing the ease a quick rip on the bike. I'd take an early spring no problem.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 21:48 Quote
The mild season I didn’t mind back in the day. When I started building the Baconator way back the ground was easy to move. I used my dirt bike a bunch to rip up the trail for easier diggings, burnt through a few tires. Some of the trail was an old dirt bike trail. Some of the original trail got taken by dirt bikes, while others just got abandoned.
Boy I miss the days of XB, J-Bone and I slaving building trail. Boom box going, 1516 for our thirst, and the ghetto talk. Damn good times.
Old injuries have caught up and have made me almost completely put the bicycle’s up on the wall. But there are bigger lines still to be had.
Season sport changes I say are a good thing, we are lucky here in the OK that it’s pretty damn good regardless what season it is….

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 5:56 Quote
It's pretty damn good. I come from a world of long shoulder seasons and it's less good.

Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 8:04 Quote
pureadrenalin wrote:
The mild season I didn’t mind back in the day. When I started building the Baconator way back the ground was easy to move. I used my dirt bike a bunch to rip up the trail for easier diggings, burnt through a few tires. Some of the trail was an old dirt bike trail. Some of the original trail got taken by dirt bikes, while others just got abandoned.
Boy I miss the days of XB, J-Bone and I slaving building trail. Boom box going, 1516 for our thirst, and the ghetto talk. Damn good times.
Old injuries have caught up and have made me almost completely put the bicycle’s up on the wall. But there are bigger lines still to be had.
Season sport changes I say are a good thing, we are lucky here in the OK that it’s pretty damn good regardless what season it is….

such a great zone

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 9:57 Quote
pureadrenalin wrote:

Gotta come out of the shadows to say thanks for all your hard work helping build one of Vernon's best trails.

It'll be clear to rip before the road is drivable. We'll make sure you are notified of first tracks. There will be music and beer.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 17:01 Quote
pureadrenalin wrote:

I’m excited to ride this trail network, I have heard a lot of good things about it!

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2023 at 18:36 Quote
Anyone got any updates on rideable trails? There is not a lot of updates on trailforks.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 12:42 Quote
uncleric09 wrote:
Anyone got any updates on rideable trails? There is not a lot of updates on trailforks.

The lower trails in Ellison would be all that’s rideable. Knox in Kelowna is the only place in the area that’ll be fully rideable, methinks.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 13:14 Quote
Yup, Knox is good to go. Rose Valley is starting to open up as well from what I've heard.

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 13:50 Quote
Lookout seemed fine when I was walking with my son around the bottom area by little Moab on Sunday. Will probably check it out tomorrow afternoon.

Definitely saw a few tire tracks coming out of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021311
Mobile Version of Website