Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 19:42 Quote
Glory is what XB wants... If I'm not feeling the 27.5, he will just buy a '14 Glory frame used. Have tried 27.5 couple times on Enduroesque bikes and wasn't a fan. Skid-ability went way down.

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 12:09 Quote
I'm in KTown at the inlaws for a couple of days so trying to get as much riding in as I can

Peddled up to the KVR and did Vapour last night. Supa fun!

Looking to get out of the heat Wednesday after work so wondering about the AM scene and the new trails up at

The Star. Is there peddle up, fun down trails there somewhere or is it 'pay to play' only?

Can someone give me the lowdown? I'm bringing beer!

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 12:23 Quote
Who wants to ride slaughter house this week?? I would like to get a crew together for and evening ride.

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 14:38 Quote
That Squamish Enduro shred vid on Pinkbike was the same trails XB shredded on his last day in Squamish. Such an awesome experience to ride that area. The experience was similar to a 15 run shred day at SS with no crashes, and you clear every jump.... That experience x10.

Riding up and down = Fun

Lifts are for Lazyfobes

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 15:01 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
Riding up and down = Fun

Lifts are for Lazyfobes

True that!

Silly Star pedaling is awesome. The up (Silver Shack) is a stunning new trail, then down well pick your poison although designated down trail for xc is "Snake Pit" i love the xc network on silver star.

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
thekrow4jc wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
Riding up and down = Fun

Lifts are for Lazyfobes

True that!

Silly Star pedaling is awesome. The up (Silver Shack) is a stunning new trail, then down well pick your poison although designated down trail for xc is "Snake Pit" i love the xc network on silver star.

Can you ride down Snake Pit with just the XC pass? I thought Bike Park Trails were off limits with only an XC pass

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 15:30 Quote
thekrow4jc wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
Riding up and down = Fun

Lifts are for Lazyfobes

True that!

Don't you mean riding up and riding up? Do you even ride down?

Didnt see the video XB. I noticed that most of the enduro video's are just smaller dh edits. sort of like going to the grand prix and watching go carts... I definately like a good trail as long as the up is worth it.

speaking of which does anyone know if the upper part of stone free is ready? I like that upper loop of tombstone/king ed. be nice to be able to do it without having to go get the truck later.

oh the earlier mention of slaughterhouse... if it is cooler in falkland and i can swing it then I maybe in. PM me

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 15:46 Quote
topsog wrote:
thekrow4jc wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
Riding up and down = Fun

Lifts are for Lazyfobes

True that!

Can you ride down Snake Pit with just the XC pass? I thought Bike Park Trails were off limits with only an XC pass

DH pass is for riding the chair lift... If you pedal up shred what you want. The only place they check anything is at the lift. Buy a xc pass and shred away.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 9:29 Quote
I know it's a long shot but on Monday I lost a go-pro on the lower portion of the Ravine trail on Rubberhead. Just a heads up if anyone finds it I would love to get it back!

On a side note: what a great trail Big Grin

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 10:36 Quote
superman-4 wrote:
I know it's a long shot but on Monday I lost a go-pro on the lower portion of the Ravine trail on Rubberhead. Just a heads up if anyone finds it I would love to get it back!

On a side note: what a great trail Big Grin

Sorry man. If I hear anyone mention they found a gopro i will mention it.

On another note: NOCS cancelled the first and only shuttle run of the year. The reason not enough shuttles. I m not sure how they know this as there was no sign up or mention of needing them. I am sure a few of us would of chipped in but they put the email on the 14th and cancelled it this morning, instead going with more AM. I am wondering if it is time to split from nocs and go with a org. that represents the DH community a little better. Maybe there is no need for it, maybe there is no call for it, but i have a feeling there is a lot of people who 'that is their ride of choice' that don't do NOCS or get involved as there isnt a venue to do it. The amount of people I meet just from PB alone (for DH) shows that there is a community for it. I am not trying to start something but I am interested in peoples thoughts on this.

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 10:38 Quote
DH pass is for riding the chair lift... If you pedal up shred what you want. The only place they check anything is at the lift. Buy a xc pass and shred away.[/Quote]

Cool, thanks.

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 12:09 Quote
XB tried to get a DH committee going within NOCS, and he received little support and interest from inside of NOCS headquarters, and from the members/ public.

Revelstoke has an awesome DH program going with DH trail days / rides / races... XB tried to copy a similar program with little success.

NOCS is definitely focused on the A.M. side of things and focused on building/ maintaining their established legitimate trails on park lands etc.

A organization to stir up DH might work v-J ... I feel like there is not a ton of interest in local DH, as S.S. takes all the demographic for people who have $7k bikes in their garage who simply wait for 2 months a year of stutter bumps and fat asses on chair lifts.

Also the logistics of local DH is not the best, as why many have chosen the fat ass approach.

I definitely feel the need for more of a DH scene, organization.

Did XB mention he just sold his v-10 / boxxer and is loving cruiser riding right now.

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 15:25 Quote
More NOCS supported organized DH rides is definitely needed here.
I also feel that working within the NOCS umbrella to make this happen is better than breaking off and starting a new group.
XB tried to do this last year and I think it should be tried again.

Yes NOCS has been focused on the AM thing but you have to be when 40-50 people are showing up for trail rides.
I get that, it makes sense.
However some focus needs to be pulled away from the AM/Enduro trials and shed on a badly needed true DH all downhill alternative trail from the top of King Ed.
I'm not talking about a double black gnar trail because we all know that's not going into park land.
But a true DH trail.
I'd love to see more DH supported events but on what DH trails?
You can't put the cart before the horse.
Until a true bike bike friendly all downhill alternative route is built from the top of King Ed you will never get the support to run organized shuttle rides.
The user group that is willing to shuttle you up or retrieve your vehicle when done will only do it if they are getting a true DH ride.
Everyone I shuttled with this spring is willing to shuttle but only if they get a true DH trail ride.
Getting off your bike 4 times to push an 8" bike up unnecessary uphill sections in a trial is not going to bring out the DH masses.
And said trail would have to dump out around the Cougar Creek parking lot area.
Not at the bottom of Bear Valley unless parks is willing to put a parking lot down there. (See no pushing 8" bikes)

If NOCS can get everyone behind building our own Vapour like trail we have a chance at bringing some DH flavor back to Vernon when the bike park is closed.
There are more people wanting to ride DH in the area than you think.
We just have to give them a reason to come here instead of Kelowna, Kamloops or Revy.

PS- This type of trail can also be used by the "I only pedal up" crowd as well when Stone Free is done to the top.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 15:43 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
More NOCS supported organized DH rides is definitely needed here.
I also feel that working within the NOCS umbrella to make this happen is better than breaking off and starting a new group.
XB tried to do this last year and I think it should be tried again.

Yes NOCS has been focused on the AM thing but you have to be when 40-50 people are showing up for trail rides.
I get that, it makes sense.
However some focus needs to be pulled away from the AM/Enduro trials and shed on a badly needed true DH all downhill alternative trail from the top of King Ed.
I'm not talking about a double black gnar trail because we all know that's not going into park land.
But a true DH trail.
I'd love to see more DH supported events but on what DH trails?
You can't put the cart before the horse.
Until a true bike bike friendly all downhill alternative route is built from the top of King Ed you will never get the support to run organized shuttle rides.
The user group that is willing to shuttle you up or retrieve your vehicle when done will only do it if they are getting a true DH ride.
Everyone I shuttled with this spring is willing to shuttle but only if they get a true DH trail ride.
Getting off your bike 4 times to push an 8" bike up unnecessary uphill sections in a trial is not going to bring out the DH masses.
And said trail would have to dump out around the Cougar Creek parking lot area.
Not at the bottom of Bear Valley unless parks is willing to put a parking lot down there. (See no pushing 8" bikes)

If NOCS can get everyone behind building our own Vapour like trail we have a chance at bringing some DH flavor back to Vernon when the bike park is closed.
There are more people wanting to ride DH in the area than you think.
We just have to give them a reason to come here instead of Kelowna, Kamloops or Revy.

PS- This type of trail can also be used by the "I only pedal up" crowd as well when Stone Free is done to the top.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

The problem is the XC people are doing.. they got it approved and NOCS paid for a machine built trail up to the top of ED (xc)/.... Until the dh guys get together and get a plan approved and go build it, thats all we are doing is "saying" ...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018007
Mobile Version of Website