Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 15:56 Quote
Until the dh guys get together and get a plan approved and go build it, thats all we are doing is "saying" ...

Some of us are already doers.
I could do it in the park as well with some support from the DH lovers and NOCS.

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 22:10 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
the demographic for people who have $7k bikes in their garage who simply wait for 2 months a year of stutter bumps and fat asses on chair lifts.

I confesses. that's me right there!

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 22:17 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
More NOCS supported organized DH rides is definitely needed here.
I also feel that working within the NOCS umbrella to make this happen is better than breaking off and starting a new group.
XB tried to do this last year and I think it should be tried again.

Yes NOCS has been focused on the AM thing but you have to be when 40-50 people are showing up for trail rides.
I get that, it makes sense.
However some focus needs to be pulled away from the AM/Enduro trials and shed on a badly needed true DH all downhill alternative trail from the top of King Ed.
I'm not talking about a double black gnar trail because we all know that's not going into park land.
But a true DH trail.
I'd love to see more DH supported events but on what DH trails?
You can't put the cart before the horse.
Until a true bike bike friendly all downhill alternative route is built from the top of King Ed you will never get the support to run organized shuttle rides.
The user group that is willing to shuttle you up or retrieve your vehicle when done will only do it if they are getting a true DH ride.
Everyone I shuttled with this spring is willing to shuttle but only if they get a true DH trail ride.
Getting off your bike 4 times to push an 8" bike up unnecessary uphill sections in a trial is not going to bring out the DH masses.
And said trail would have to dump out around the Cougar Creek parking lot area.
Not at the bottom of Bear Valley unless parks is willing to put a parking lot down there. (See no pushing 8" bikes)

If NOCS can get everyone behind building our own Vapour like trail we have a chance at bringing some DH flavor back to Vernon when the bike park is closed.
There are more people wanting to ride DH in the area than you think.
We just have to give them a reason to come here instead of Kelowna, Kamloops or Revy.

PS- This type of trail can also be used by the "I only pedal up" crowd as well when Stone Free is done to the top.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...
4 small push sections and a small pedal out is hardly the end of the world for a great trail within the park. People make out pedalling a dh bike is like pedalling a 450, it's not that bad.

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 23:37 Quote
ianmctimoney wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
More NOCS supported organized DH rides is definitely needed here.
I also feel that working within the NOCS umbrella to make this happen is better than breaking off and starting a new group.
XB tried to do this last year and I think it should be tried again.

Yes NOCS has been focused on the AM thing but you have to be when 40-50 people are showing up for trail rides.
I get that, it makes sense.
However some focus needs to be pulled away from the AM/Enduro trials and shed on a badly needed true DH all downhill alternative trail from the top of King Ed.
I'm not talking about a double black gnar trail because we all know that's not going into park land.
But a true DH trail.
I'd love to see more DH supported events but on what DH trails?
You can't put the cart before the horse.
Until a true bike bike friendly all downhill alternative route is built from the top of King Ed you will never get the support to run organized shuttle rides.
The user group that is willing to shuttle you up or retrieve your vehicle when done will only do it if they are getting a true DH ride.
Everyone I shuttled with this spring is willing to shuttle but only if they get a true DH trail ride.
Getting off your bike 4 times to push an 8" bike up unnecessary uphill sections in a trial is not going to bring out the DH masses.
And said trail would have to dump out around the Cougar Creek parking lot area.
Not at the bottom of Bear Valley unless parks is willing to put a parking lot down there. (See no pushing 8" bikes)

If NOCS can get everyone behind building our own Vapour like trail we have a chance at bringing some DH flavor back to Vernon when the bike park is closed.
There are more people wanting to ride DH in the area than you think.
We just have to give them a reason to come here instead of Kelowna, Kamloops or Revy.

PS- This type of trail can also be used by the "I only pedal up" crowd as well when Stone Free is done to the top.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...
4 small push sections and a small pedal out is hardly the end of the world for a great trail within the park. People make out pedalling a dh bike is like pedalling a 450, it's not that bad.

I think you are missing this one. Yes you can shuttle king ed and it is a fun trail, but this is all we have. And even with king ed I use my trail bike. The question here is advocacy. Our local bike club is advocating for one type of rider. so far this year we have had 1 scheduled DH day and it was cancelled. not because of lack of interest but because they didnt have shuttles. they didnt ask for shuttles. now it is a bring your kids and go for a swim day. (uh hmmm... seems like thats what one of our members wanted to do that day instead.. not that i am knocking it. it sounds like fun)

We have a second DH trail that was destroyed by dirt bikers. it still hasnt even been looked at and our third DH trail is being maintained by a couple of us and that doesnt have anything to do with NOCS.. NOCS is a great organisation and I am thankful for the work that they do in the community. at the moment though they are not representing the DH portion of the community, with trails, support or even advocacy. last year the turn outs for the shuttle rides where pretty decent. I spent more time teaching people how to corner and get over stuff than actual riding and I dont mind that. thats is a perfect forum for it. anyways Im done with the subject. we have been doing our own thing this year and it has been working out pretty good. next year i may save the $30 and use it for chainsaw gas.

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 0:31 Quote
Be the change you wanna see in the world.

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 2:16 Quote
4 small push sections and a small pedal out is hardly the end of the world for a great trail within the park.

I hear what you're saying about Ed being a fine trail.
It is for AM riding a 4-6" bike up and down.
However sections of the trail are outdated for DH like the CD players they keep putting in cars.
No personal offence to you if your all good with Big Ed as a "DH" trail and enjoy pedaling an 8" bike out at the end.
Most if given an option will give that part up every damn time.
Also no offence to the original builders who built it.
I appreciate anyone who goes out in the woods and gets it done.
I'm not saying it should be changed.
I would just like to see an alternative all DH line added to the area when the day calls for an 8" bike ride.
And I don't do well with the following.
What we have is pretty good.
It's hardly the end of the world.
Pedaling a bike big out at the end is not that bad.
AKA add famous excuse for making due here> _____

"Well done is better than well said" - Benjamin Franklin

He's right, I'm not just talking here.
I get to work.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10336712_567839576665367_6115540490946755039_n.jpg

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 6:44 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
Be the change you wanna see in the world.

Good advice..... I have recently started to listen to Joe Rogan and this is along the lines of what he would say.

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 11:38 Quote
From a fellow podcast listener, yes he can be quite inspiring. Most people strike him off as a stoner, human cock fight promoter and a dummy. On the contrary he is quite inspiring and has intelligent great guests on all the time that you can learn from....



Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 9:04 Quote
after i googled carnage at silver star...

This is why we need gate keepers and age restrictions.. what is this guy thinking?

https://vimeo.com/5814477

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 10:00 Quote
Anyone want to ride big Ed, nobles or something later today or tomorrow morning. Like to get a ride in before I head back to the new home.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 10:22 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
after i googled carnage at silver star...

This is why we need gate keepers and age restrictions.. what is this guy thinking?

https://vimeo.com/5814477

BAHHAHAHAHAA That guy is an idiot. Love how he rode into the teeter, then rode onto one while his kid was on it still... Maybe he should go try challenger instead, but stay in the vault area.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 10:52 Quote
pureadrenalin wrote:
Anyone want to ride big Ed, nobles or something later today or tomorrow morning. Like to get a ride in before I head back to the new home.

Into looking @ a natural gas job?

Call me 1-800 deez-nutz

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 11:45 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
after i googled carnage at silver star...

This is why we need gate keepers and age restrictions.. what is this guy thinking?

https://vimeo.com/5814477

Poor kid! Dad straps a bunch of armour on his kid and pretty much forces him to hit all the big features! Hey son ride with reckless abandon like your dad and hukk your meat!!!

Lots of pads but no brains. Armour won't save you from breaking your back...

The kid was kind of a pussy though, crying for a little scratch on his arm! Get back on your bike bitch and hukk your meat!

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 23:44 Quote
Lol
Instant classic XB.
No weed... no rockies. Hahaha.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017914
Mobile Version of Website