Cassette ratio question

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cassette ratio question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 9:07 Quote
Hey guys, I'm looking to significantly update the transmission soon moving from an old 8sp 'LX' to a 10sp Zee set up on a 24" rear wheel (Specialized Big Hit '07).

I currently have a 36T single ring up front and I'm getting a little confused with the available gear ratios as its been a LONG time since the last time I had to do this type of work..! What sort of difference in real terms am I likely to see between 11-32, 11-34 and 11-36 10sp cassettes?

One of the main reasons for updating is a long over due move to a clutch dérailleur over the regular old style I currently have, but I know I'm not going to need a ton of super low gears. I'm not really worried about any particular climbing ability running a Big Hit, although I like the overall range of the 8sp system currently for what I ride.

I'm aware each rider's situation and requirement is unique on this but my riding FWIW is most definitely in the 'freeride' category -ie' not much technical climbing or any all day epic XC/AM stuff, and roughly 75% would be descending.

11-32 makes sense to me based on the above but any advice or set up options I should consider?

EDIT: my FRONT ring is a 40T not 36T, not sure why I thought otherwise, been a while since i looked at it when posted the question!

Editor O+ FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 13:40 Quote
If you're happy with the range of your current 11-32 setup, I'd recommend sticking with it when you switch to a 10 speed drivetrain. Going to a cassette with a 34 or 36 tooth cog as the easiest gear will make climbing a little easier, but it sounds like that's not much of a concern. By going with an 11-32, you'll have a sightly tighter spread of harder gears – on a Shimano cassette the steps will be 11,12,14,16, compared to 11,13,15,17 on the 11-34 and 11-36. In the future, if you want to trim down your cassette even further, companies like OneUp Components and Fouriers offer spacers that let you reduce your cassette down to 7 speeds, leaving you with an even more compact cassette.

Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 14:50 Quote
mikekazimer wrote:
If you're happy with the range of your current 11-32 setup, I'd recommend sticking with it when you switch to a 10 speed drivetrain. Going to a cassette with a 34 or 36 tooth cog as the easiest gear will make climbing a little easier, but it sounds like that's not much of a concern. By going with an 11-32, you'll have a sightly tighter spread of harder gears – on a Shimano cassette the steps will be 11,12,14,16, compared to 11,13,15,17 on the 11-34 and 11-36. In the future, if you want to trim down your cassette even further, companies like OneUp Components and Fouriers offer spacers that let you reduce your cassette down to 7 speeds, leaving you with an even more compact cassette.

Awesome @mikekazimer that is exactly what I needed to know. Salute

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 at 6:18 Quote
cobba wrote:
Put the different combos into the following link and you'll see the difference.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Cheers for that @cobba but that doesn't make much sense for my situation if i'm honest, I knew there was alot to gear ratio's but its not something I want to get into at PHD level just yet Wink

Like I mentioned, I was only looking for a real world/laymans sense of any big differences I might encounter by switching to 10sp after noticing several gear ratios on offer- and comparing this to my current dated set up.

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 at 12:14 Quote
I've just recently bought the 10spd shimano zee shifter, derailleur and crankset awesome bit of kit!! super easy to set up and keeps chain real tight so no chain slap! i have a 36t up front and 11-32 and its a nice range even on my glory!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017239
Mobile Version of Website