Trek Suspension Setup on there on-line tool

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Suspension Setup on there on-line tool
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 19, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
Hey guys, I used the online tool to setup my Trek suspension for the first time. Put my weight in and all that stuff. Did anyone else find that there numbers are way too low in psi? I took my bike out for the first time just on the road and I could easily go another 10psi probably. I was using up most of my shock travel by just doing a few bounce test on the road. A buddy of mine said he had to put way more psi in his also because the numbers were too weak on the trek calculator. Anyone else experience this too?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:19 Quote
Yes exactly the same I just ended up pumping it up till it didn't bottom out when I bounced hard on it

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 5:42 Quote
Ya I have since talked to a few other riders on here with an Ex 9 and they have given me some way better starting points then the Trek calculator. I can for sure see that it is way too soft. I have not had a chance yet to try setting it up a bit more since the bad weather here. Hopefully this long weekend it will be nicer and I can play around with it. Looks like I need to add alot more psi to the front to get where I need to be.

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 11:13 Quote
Yea I was no different mate takes a while mines still not quite right. I'm out for a burn this weekend, can't wait have a good'un dude

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 5:55 Quote
Ya finally got out for another test ride last night but it was just on some town hard packed trails so really could only see where the sag was setting at. Couldn't see how much travel I would need yet since the biggest bump I hit was going down a piece of curb. lol Another week or so I should be able to get the bike out on some better trails and have a better idea. I put another 10psi in the front and 5psi in the rear so that felt pretty good.

Posted: Apr 26, 2015 at 15:05 Quote
Hey, just curious Chris what your numbers are right now (your weight and psi front and back)? I'm trying to set mine up and found the same thing, that i had to put in more pressure than recommended. And what method did you use? Cheers

Martin.

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 5:49 Quote
I gave up on using any sort of calculator online. The trek setup calculator is just a starting point it according to many others it is a really "soft" starting point. lol

I am 147lbs. and currently running 90lbs in the front and 185lbs in the back. Now I have not hit any real crazy drops or jumps yet so I have a feeling I may even have to go a bit more then that.

I had to just adjust it all myself after riding a few times by resetting the o-rings after each ride to see how much travel I was using. Since I use trail mode the most I would also make sure when I really pounce on the bike I am only using 3/4 travel. So this will not allow it to bottom out when I really hit some bigger stuff. Like I said I am sure I may need to go up even a little bit more specially on the rear once I hit the bigger trails.

My buddy with his Ex has found the exact same and is way higher then the trek setup also due to it being way too soft.

Other then that I will just adjust the psi a little hear and there depending on what trails I am riding.

Good luck with it, I was in the same boat as you and this being my first full suspension bike I had a lot of playing around with it to do. Still am! Smile

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 9:20 Quote
Right on, i was out the other day and gave mine a bit of a workout and realized i need a fair bit more psi. I weigh around 200lbs and ride an EX8 26er with an RP2 for the rear with 250psi. I will bump it up a bit to maybe 270psi but they don't recommend going above 300psi on the Fox website. Cheers.

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 7:26 Quote
Nice bike man! Ya these things are fun to ride. I took mine out last night and hit a few jumps and could see I am still too soft in trail mode. Guess I will have to play around with mine a little more. Enjoy your ride!

Posted: May 3, 2015 at 20:38 Quote
So I just picked up a 2015 fuel ex 27.5. It's my first full suspension bike. I used the online calculator and took it on the trail today. Nothing crazy, lots of rapid incline/decline stuff, but very rooty. Like I said, first time out on full suspension, but I thought it was pretty spot on (maybe I got lucky). The one thing I saw in an old trek "how to" is to make sure the valve is on the climb or open position when adding pressure. If I remember correctly, this aids in making sure both chambers in the rear shock equalize appropriately.

Would that make any difference?

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 12:29 Quote
They suggest adding all air in decent mode just makes it easier to cycle the rear shock to open both valves in it. You can put air in trail mode no problem you just have to make sure you cycle the rear shock over 50% so both chambers open to equalize the air. Then check the pressure again.

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 at 8:16 Quote
It is not that wrong. The shocks become harder when traveling fast enought to builde up the highspeed compresiondamping.

Bounceing the bike on the flat with just you weight is not the best way to judge if the setting is right.
Look at how much grip you get intead of how much suspentiontravel thats is used

I ride on there recomendation when moste going downhill and 5 - 10 % higher on more Xc style riding.

Have this year Remedy 9

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 at 10:24 Quote
I have rode mine alot now since I made this post. Done some minor downhill and some pretty rough trails. I still find having to set up the suspension way higher than the trek site. I still think it is a good starting point no matter what. I know my buddies are all running alot higher too. We were bottoming out with there setup and that was not even on the roughest trails that we have done since. it all depends on the rider and weight. Some people have said the trek setup has worked for them. For me and most of my buddies we found it way too soft.

Remedy 9 is a sweet bike! I would like to upgrade to one of these after another year or so. Smile

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 23:05 Quote
Picked up this year's remedy 9 and had the same problem. The suspension calculator said I need 160psi for a 155lbs rider weight. I'm currently running 220psi. I talked to my LBS and they called Fox who said to run the pressure that gives the desired sag setting and performance, but to NEVER exceed 300psi regardless. I think its just a lack of effort on Trek's part to update their charts. I emailed them and got a response thanking me for letting them know, but I don't think they've changed anything yet.

The fork's settings were pretty close to recommended. I like my suspension a little bit firm, so I'm running 73psi instead of the recommended 70 with a slightly slower rebound

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 5:45 Quote
Well after a full season of riding the bike I must say it is just wicked. Love the bike and have it set up perfect for me now. The one problem I am having that is driving me nuts is the front shocks are creaking like no tomorrow. It has got worse now that it is cold out. At first I thought maybe it was the head stock but now I can clearly see it is coming from like the top of the fork. After reaching a bit more online I am seeing this is a very common problem with the fox 32's. Alot of people say they have this clicking noise at the top same as me. They send them in for fox warranty work, get them back and they are fine for a month then right back to clicking again. Any of you guys have this issue? I just dread having to take the bike all apart and deal with the shop on this. It is just starting to really bug me since it won't stop. I find if I stand on the bike with a little pressure on the front it will not do it but as soon as I sit down the the fork moves more freely it will do it again. Frown

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016260
Mobile Version of Website