Thoughts on 27.5+

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Thoughts on 27.5+
O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 21:48 Quote
Until you ride a 27.5+, you have no valid explanation as to if they have a point or not.

I recently purchased one and my god, they are so damn fun if you want a bike you can take out and just steamroll everything! I took it up the foothills behind my place and it's scattered with sharp rocks, of which I just literally plowed through.

An usual feeling but it got me stoked on it!

Try one and then come back here.

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 2:07 Quote
I can do that on my 26"

Posted: Oct 7, 2015 at 8:13 Quote
had a 29er, loved it until i rode 650b...thing crushes all terrain loyal to the 650b

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2015 at 5:32 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
I can do that on my 26"

Indeed you can, but not like you can on a plus bike. Let me tell you that.

And don't try and argue it. Every single bike will ride differently. Whether it's the linkage, tires, geometry or even personal touches like bar width, stem length and then your own personal competence.

So in saying that. It isn't the same, is it?

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 at 12:36 Quote
I can do it better

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 20:49 Quote
schuster19 wrote:
jonnyfingers wrote:
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:

Yes,I have.
Which is why I'm back to a 26er.
But let's not quibble over which wheel size is best.

It's been done already

Agreed.
you two are probably the coolest people on Pinkbike. I'm so tired of everyone going crazy about wheel size in the forums. Ive experienced a 10 page plus argument about wheel size.....Dead Horse

I'd love to know what the likes and dislikes from both of you guys. Only because I have ridden 26" since 1991 and I absolutely love it! But I am intrigued by the new technology and want to try it out. But I can't afford a $4000 rig. Let's hear the true advantages of 27.5. Is it worth the jump up? I have researched some really badass bikes that I almost purchased on here, but I have always turned back to looking at the 650 bikes.... Help!!

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 at 12:26 Quote
Are you looking at 27.5 or 27.5+

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 at 21:24 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
Are you looking at 27.5 or 27.5+
When you say 27.5 + does that mean 29"er?
If you mean 29er, yes I have ridden one, but no, I didnt really like the way it felt. So I think I'd like to try the 650b.

Posted: Oct 22, 2015 at 2:13 Quote
No it means 27.5 with bigger tires like 3.0. And there is pretty much no difference between 26 and 27.5.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 22, 2015 at 9:53 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
No it means 27.5 with bigger tires like 3.0. And there is pretty much no difference between 26 and 27.5.
Uuh yes there is. Maybe not so much in how they ride, but if your a bigger person, it can definitely make a difference.

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 3:12 Quote
Has anyone bought a 27.5 Plus bike and tried to use 29" wheels with the 27+ frame yet?

Really keen to hear about practical experiences of switching as none of the articles seem to have tried this, which is odd because they all highlight it as a benefit (even though manufacturers don't mention it on their websites....

Specialized
Scott
Mondraker
and all the others.....

Posted: Nov 29, 2015 at 11:01 Quote
Honest guy who changed from 26" to 27.5" this year. Could be placebo - but much better bike to ride. You don't "feel" that you're on such a bigger bike, as with 29", but it rides much better in my case.

Definitely more momentum going up and down, more comfort.

Now bear in mind this was also going from a 2007 bike, 26" to a 2015 27.5". The fact that it's a brand new bike I'm sure adds to the experience regardless of wheel size.

I have no objections to 27.5 whatsoever.

Posted: Nov 29, 2015 at 19:48 Quote
pumptrack wrote:

I suppose from your viewpoint the difference of having to listen to someone like yourself blab on about how great they are on 26" in every other 27.5 pb post isn't so apparent, lol ...

Posted: Nov 29, 2015 at 19:55 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Has anyone bought a 27.5 Plus bike and tried to use 29" wheels with the 27+ frame yet?

Really keen to hear about practical experiences of switching as none of the articles seem to have tried this, which is odd because they all highlight it as a benefit (even though manufacturers don't mention it on their websites....

Specialized
Scott
Mondraker
and all the others.....

Well technically they have the same basic tire OD. Some of the differences would likely be increased overall weight, wider chainstay, wider crank q-factor, wider hub requirement, wider chainline, etc. probably could make it work, but am not sure how practical it is vs dedicated bikes.

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 at 9:49 Quote
Nobody seems to have actually tried using 29 wheels in a 27.5 frame.... how can anyone buy with confidence if we don't get any good tests of this?

Pinkbike testers are you listening?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027816
Mobile Version of Website