Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 10:54 Quote
I decided to showcase my recent negative experience with Cannondale's "lifetime warranty". As my case of warranty claim got rejected, although in my and also LBS's opinion, this should be by the book frame replacement, I will go through the whole process step by step, supported by images and actual discussion between importer and Cannondale EU.

First of, sorry for my English, it's not my 1st language.

Before we start the story, here are some information about the bike:
- Cannondale Claymore 2 (2013)
- purchased 31. May 2013
- 1st owner, with the original bill etc.
- the bike parts that were changed since new: brakes, shifter levers, bar, stem, grips, crank arms, saddle+ seatpost, 20T chainring front

Bike fresh from the store
Cannondale Claymore 2 2013 fresh from the store

The bike was since then used for AM riding and 3 bike park visits (light use) - I had DH bike (Spec Demo) for abuse...

On 13th of February 2015, while doing service (of course, till then, I already spent ~400usd for parts and service, including the Fox Dyad shock), I noticed a crack at the conjunction of toptube and headtube at the weld.
There has been similar cases of the crack, seen on the internet, which have been replaced under warranty.
For example:
- http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1508346
- http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/cannondale-claymore-2011-neuer-freerider-auf-jekyll-basis.469131/page-63
- http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/cannondale-claymore-2011-neuer-freerider-auf-jekyll-basis.469131/page-66

Photo of the bike and the crack
Cannondale Claymore 2 2013
Cannondale Claymore 2 2013 - crack
Cannondale Claymore 2 2013 - crack

Of course I immediately went to the store, where I bought the bike and the seller took the bike over and sent a warranty claim request to the importer, which then forwarded it to EU distributor.

Reply from the Cannondale EU
(deleted)

The rest of the conversation between our importer and Cannondale EU is as follows:
(deleted)

This was the last email between importer and EU distributor since then (as I know) and on my request they send me the above shown conversation.
On 12th of March (10 days ago) I sent my reply directly to Cycling Sports Group Europe B.V. and EMEA-warranty, as shown below. I didn't get any reply yet, and will now try to reply via importer.

My reply to Cycling Sports Group Europe B.V. and EMEA-warranty
Cannondale warranty service - negative experience

As you can see, I'll do my best effort to make this warranty issue, which should be solved without a question, go through!
I also hope this example will help and aware other people about the problem. If anybody has had similar case, especially with the Claymore (solved or rejected), please post it in this thread or post a link.

Thanks for reading.
Daniel

Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 15:37 Quote
Unnacaptable! If any Cannondale rep is reading this thread here's one less potential buyer. As to the claim I hope they reconsider, many read these forums and purchase decisions are vastly based on user experience. Good luck.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 4:32 Quote
Try motorcycles they're even worse to deal with as disputes and cause major danger as can go wrong at anypoint i.e. Motorways etc.

The orange kind of off roadbike, I would urge riders never to consider buying one as they're not fit for purpose and are well known for major problems from new, design faults and recalls.

As For cannondale and op, that is not acceptable then again if only you knew of the cracknfail nickname they have before your unlucky purchase.

Consumer rights should declare that manufacturers fault and issue a full replacement or refund if unhappy with the way that brands dealt with the matter.

Personally I would urge for an issue of refund from your lbs and let the lbs chase cannondale for recompense.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 6:51 Quote
Cannondale is bad for warranties, been working in various bike shops across Canada for the better part of 7 years and have heard my share of bad cannondale stories (which is unfortunate because I would consider getting one someday if their service wasn't so bad).

The owner of the shop I'm at now refuses to deal them as he managed a shop that carried them before and the ultimately scammed him out of a customers warranty on more than one occasion.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 7:08 Quote
You should take them to small claims court if they refuse to honor the warranty (or threaten to at least). You've got plenty of evidence backing up your story.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 13:03 Quote
Cannondale should tread lightly in this matter. In this day and age with the internet and user reviews the consumer has a loud voice . Pinkbike has alot of followers and we rely on each other for advice and end user review. From a business stand point this single thread may sway many users away from Cannondale (I can def speak for myself). If danibenedic doesn't post that Cannondale has made this right I will never buy one of their products.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 13:53 Quote
I feel the pain with this one man. I had a very similar issue with a Voodoo Canzo that the rocker link bent on. They argued over and over again that it was due to improper use but, when they finally agreed to send replacement they sent another pair of bent links confirming my claim that it was due to poor material quality. I'm also in the mechanical engineering field however, they took no notice of this and even less notice of legal threats from my dad who lectures in law.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 15:58 Quote
Our bikes are not some $400 department store leisure bikes. They are expensive and built for a specific puropse. A brand like Cannondale should stand by their products. If you took a Spesh Epic to the bike park and were taking 6' drops I completely understand its out of the realm of its intend use. However, the Claymore does not fall into the cross country genre. It's an all mountain bike and should withstand its appropriate usage.

Looking at the pictures of the crack there is no physical evidence of the bike being improperly used. The crack appears to propogate from the weld to the top tube. Cannondale needs to make this right.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 7:12 Quote
I feel your pain, it took me over a year to get a warranty resolved with a pair of Easton wheels with their so called "2 year no questions asked warranty."

I can tell you what worked for me, escalate this issue to the next person in charge and be relentless with emails. Explain to them that you are not going away (all ways keeping it professional) and you will keep escalating this issue until it's resolved. Eventually they will get sick of hearing from you and hopefully resolve your issue. I know it sounds annoying and it takes a fair amount of time, but it does work.

Unfortunately you aren't the first person to be treated this way with warranty issues, and you most certainly won't be the last.

Good luck!!!

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 8:16 Quote
I have sent an email, including links to this topic and the one on mtbr to the importer who forwarded it to the "EMEA warranty" guy. It was sent on Monday and am waiting for an answer.

Last week I tried contacting Cannondale US stating that I have a problem with EU distributor, as they are not answering to my emails and also the unprofessional level of communication of mr. Frederic (their warranty guy). I also added the addresses where I was sending it to: servicedeskeurope@cyclingsportsgroup.com and emea-warranty@cyclingsportsgroup.com .

Their answer was I should try contacting "servicedeskeurope@cyclingsportsgroup.com".

I will try to expose the problem to them again, this time more clearly.

titaniumtit wrote:
Consumer rights should declare that manufacturers fault and issue a full replacement or refund if unhappy with the way that brands dealt with the matter.

If the above method won't work, my next step will be consumer protection service.

SilverbackGorilla wrote:
You should take them to small claims court if they refuse to honor the warranty (or threaten to at least). You've got plenty of evidence backing up your story.

As CameronRose said, threatening doesn't work, already done that... importer also mentioned that I will most likely sue them. This will be my last step, but it really shouldn't go this far.

Rlvinas wrote:
Cannondale should tread lightly in this matter. In this day and age with the internet and user reviews the consumer has a loud voice . Pinkbike has alot of followers and we rely on each other for advice and end user review. From a business stand point this single thread may sway many users away from Cannondale (I can def speak for myself). If danibenedic doesn't post that Cannondale has made this right I will never buy one of their products.

Exactly, portals like PB are a great place to exchange experiences, both positive and negative and I like to hear which company is customer friendly and which is not. I think people should post these kind of topics, supported with as much evidence as possible for credibility.

Seems like Cdales "Cracknfail" reputation isn't going to end soon. I feel sorry for the company, as they are innovative and are making good bikes (in my opinion), but they should stand behind their products if things go wrong - looks like Claymore's have some kind of serial defect, as another guy on mtbr apparently just discovered the same crack on his bike (it's easily overlooked).

exhaustpipe1 wrote:
I know it sounds annoying and it takes a fair amount of time, but it does work.

That's also the problem with these things... the time that you waste probably draws alot of people from dealing with it. But as Rlvinas said... these are not some cheap bikes. Retail price for my bike two years ago was 3200eur or 3500usd.

I will be keeping you informed how it goes and I hope I can post some good news soon...

Thanks for the support!

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 12:03 Quote
So, I have been contacted by Cannondale and they want me to remove the posted conversation... I will delete the email's for now and will try other measures.

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 19:57 Quote
Only agree to remove if they sort your warranty claim to your satisfaction!!!!

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 22:21 Quote
What right have they to ask that, Disgraceful company behaviour.

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 0:39 Quote
They have no right to ask you to remove this thread. This is a legitimate bad customer experience, akin to a review. The facts are laid out bare for all to see with little opinion.

I'd say this is an opportunity for Cannondale to step up, in public view, and save face in front of the Pinkbike community. Bad public relations Cannondale, c'mon guys!

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 2:52 Quote
Pinkbike need to put this on the homepage to get more attention so that Cannondale can be seen by more people acting in this disgraceful manner!!

^jimferno. You are exactly correct. They have no right to ask for this to be taken down.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015861
Mobile Version of Website