The 26" street thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The 26" street thread
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 14, 2015 at 3:01 Quote
There's 26t sprockets? Or do you mean add one more to my current?

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 at 3:16 Quote
SevrdOrphnToes wrote:
There's 26t sprockets? Or do you mean add one more to my current?

yes, I meant add one to your current. or if not yes there are 26. you just have to look around. Not too common.

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 18:24 Quote
anybody have any idea how a vimana might hold up for street? ultra short chainstays are appealing, drop BB not so much

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 0:29 Quote
saltine wrote:
anybody have any idea how a vimana might hold up for street? ultra short chainstays are appealing, drop BB not so much

It's aluminium, and there is a reason that street bikes are always cromo.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 8:23 Quote
You will probably find it pretty harsh as well, I'd stick with a more tried and true option were t me

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 10:03 Quote
saltine wrote:

I can answer that... I have a Vimana, that I've been riding for a pretty long time. My original build was for trails and street, and I never rode it.... That was last year. Then I rebuilt it, and put a pike DJ on it, made it single speed, changed the bars etc, and it's amazing.

More to the point, the Vimana EXCELS on jump lines... It is way smoother than other bikes, but it also makes it one of the worst options if you plan on doing street with it. It doesn't 180 easily, the low-slung nature of the bike makes it harder to pinch the seat for barspins, and even though it's a strong frame, it's not a frame you want to be stepping on after a 'foot jam gone wrong'.
I have 5 bikes, I'll list them in the order of 'street ability'

2014 Ns Suburban park
2005 Norco 250 (24" dirtjump bike) only because it has a gyro
2014 Ns Majesty
2014 Vimana
2012 Scott scale 10 carbon xc bike

I listed these bikes....

A- to brag about how many sick bikes I have
B- to show you from high to low, appropriateness of non-street street bikes. If your planning on straight street, I'd recommend a Capital or a Dartmooor Ghetto....having said that, the suburban park is a pretty capable street bike. I can't imagine a cap being much better.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 10:09 Quote
The cap is nice if you plan to run pegs / want a higher BB/steeper ht angle.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 10:55 Quote
I've currently got an NS Sub 26" which is pretty nice, a little hard to flat three it at 29 lbs but I can get them...

anyways I wanna run gears and brakes on my next bike as well as a longer seatpost, set it up somewhat for trials. (low BB I know but I think it's -12mm? Which would be doable since the Sub is +0 and feels good enough) I like the seat tube angle of it and most dirt jump frames have the seat wayyy to slack with a long post, albeit the Vimana has it a bit too forwards.

I know an STP would probably be the default way to go for this with Jeff L and all, but the one I tried felt kinda dead. Too long and slack for me.

any other frames which can run gears, have a low standover but steep seat tube angle, would feel better for street/trials? was looking at aluminum since it does feel pretty decent for trials bikes. I'm generally a steel person but if it's not rigid up front anyways I don't care too much.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 11:04 Quote
NS Decade if you want aluminium, Maj Dirt if Steel. They have -14bb, 70degree head angle with a 480 axle to crown fork. I run mine with a 500 axle to crown and its awesome. -8mm bb and about 68.5 head angle. I dont like a super low BB myself. Oh and the Decade comes with a hanger to run gears and an adapter for a front chain guard/guide thing.

ed: Nevermind, you said steep SEAT TUBE, the Decade has a slack angle because of the bend in the tube for tire clearence.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 14:22 Quote
you know that bot hDartmoor and DMR make aftermarket derailleur hangers for horizontal dropouts. Before you go nuts looking at a new frame, maybe try one of those. Tbh, I DID do some light trials with the Vimana back when I had a 9 speed setup on it, but its low bb made it unstable to stand on.

Most Trials frames have a positive bb these days, hats why I strongly recommend just putting a hanger on the sub park. Also, maybe raise your fork a bit to bring the bb up even more. My sub park has a pretty aggressive bb rise on it right now. It was so severe, I recently put a lower bar on it to even things out.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 15:48 Quote
I've already tried a derailleur hanger and gears on my suburban. something about it felt kind of weird though. having the BMX-style steel frame and geo made it feel somewhat off, like a BMX converted to a trials bike. It just felt more like a street bike than a trials or mountain bike, but that may have been the weight and choice of parts.

I've owned a few trials and street trials bikes as well, it's probably my main type of riding. BBs have been everywhere from +5 to +50. My last street trials bike was +25 which was a little too high, rode an Inspired Arcade which at +15 felt just right for a street trials bike.

I feel like exactly what I want would probably need a custom frame which I don't really want to do. It might seem a bit ridiculous, but there are kinda a few qualities I want. These are all things I can do on other bikes, but since I can only afford one right now I wanna build a do-it-all... I'd like to have it be comfortable for 25mi+ rides which I've done on my sub, but even with a long post it just isn't comfortable. I would like to be able to flat 360 or at least 180, I've been decent at them on a 24" trials bike and barely got the threes on my Sub. Be able to bunny hop it at least three feet, can do this on all the bikes I've had except 20" trials bikes. I really don't mind if barspins or threes are awkward since I'm bad at them already. Would definitely like to have turndowns and tables be easy, which I like about the vimana's low standover. Manuals should be easy, figure the vimanas short chainstays would help with this.

the only thing I can really define here is I want to build the modern equivalent of Hans Rey's old Zaskar, but ideally more suited to threes and turndowns.. hah

sorry for the wall of text, I'm just not really sure exactly what I want and appreciate any suggestions.

a norco manifesto was tempting, but seems to have more BB drop than a vimana anyways

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010548
Mobile Version of Website