Knee Pads

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 6:40 Quote
over the weekend i crashed and ended up cutting my injuring my knee. i want wearing pads as the only pads i have are an older set of dainese freestyle which are too big, bulky and hot to wear.

im looking at a knee pad which is comfortable to wear all day riding, doesnt move around/slide down and isnt too hot to wear. i will probably be using them on my DH bike as well so want them to also be durable.

a few i have been thinking about are:

1. Troy Lee Designs Semenuk
2. Race Face ambush
3. Troy Lee Designs T-Bone 2015
4. 7iDP Tactic Knee Pads (not too sure about these - very pricy and not much info on them)

has anyone used these or can recommend some others to look into.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 8:06 Quote
Never used the above pads but I have used the Leatt 3Df pads which are great pads stay in place well. I have found that with any of these pads though on really long rides over 15 miles they do start to irritate the back of the leg a bit. Found that with the various pads I have worn. have you looked at the Dainese Trail skins or the oak pro. I know the TLD pads used to be made by Leatt not sure if they still are though.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 8:12 Quote
I use the SixSixOne Rage knee pads. They're strong, very comfortable, stay in place, open in the back for ventilation, and have plenty of room for the kneecap to prevent sweating on hot rides. Plus I can strap them around my calves while I'm not using them.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 15:11 Quote
I've got RaceFace Ambush and love them. Light and rough. Would recommend them or the TLD T-Bones.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 15:32 Quote
Ixs hack knee pads are awesome. Light and comfortable to wear all day long

Editor O+ FL
Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 19:53 Quote
I've tried a wide range of knee pads over the last couple of seasons, but a there are a few standouts that meet your do-it-all criteria. Troy Lee Designs' T-Bone II would be one of my picks for knee guards that can be used for both all-mountain and DH duties without making too many compromises. It's comfortable enough to wear while pedaling, but it also has enough padding to help protect your knees from bigger impacts. Lately I've been spending time trying 7iDP's Convert pads (look for a review in the near future), and they've proven to be up to the task after a few crashes that left me battered and bruised, but with knees that were unscathed. The Convert pads use a modular design that allows riders to choose the level of protection by swapping out different thicknesses of foam, so in theory you could remove padding for trail rides and add more for DH days, although I've been using them with the middle amount of protection, using the thinner foam layer combined with a thin hard plastic shell, and have found this to be a good option for all styles of riding. Race Face's Ambush Knee pads make the grade as well, although they are a little bulkier and thus warmer for long pedal sections - you'd probably want to remove them for extended pedal sections, but their open back design makes this an easy task to accomplish

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 23:10 Quote
QuebecPoulin wrote:
I've got RaceFace Ambush and love them. Light and rough. Would recommend them or the TLD T-Bones.

i have these as well. only ridden with them a handful of times, however so far so good. couple minor crashes with no issues. i do notice that every so often they will slide down a bit, but its not really a big deal.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 5:14 Quote
im leaning towards the Troy Lee Designs T-Bone II, however looking at pictures the semenuk looks very similar and possibly offers more protection? has anyone tried the T-bone and Semenuk?

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 9:10 Quote
I'm also looking at the TLD T-bone, I'm just skeptical as to how comfortable they will be on a 20+ mile ride

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 2:30 Quote
Poc vpd2.0 I use them for dh and trail riding. Used them at afan, cwmcarn trail riding and in the Alps for dh. Slight discomfort after a wash but then it's like there not there. Never have to pull them up or adjust them with any type of riding.
Poc look like they now do lighter pair again for true all day epics

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 12:03 Quote
I wear TLD knee/shin pads. Not sure about the model, however i'm most likely to get pads from tld again. I can wear them for 5 hours ride and don't feel them plus they are not hot at all.

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 17:55 Quote
I wear nukeproof ones, really comfortable and they don't slide around at all, cant think how you'd improve them if I'm honest! They cost around £35

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 8:44 Quote
Dainese without a doubt!

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 9:34 Quote
My LBS have just started selling Dainese, never seen them before then.
They look quite nice, but what are they like for comfort on the long rides?

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 9:52 Quote
Good! Surprised uve never heard of them! They are 1st real protective gear ever made iirc from Italy

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013506
Mobile Version of Website