t-tap tailwhips (flatland)

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
t-tap tailwhips (flatland)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 at 16:31 Quote
well some of you may remember my old thread in the former pinkbike asking for advice on how to do flatland footjam whips. after about three hours of practicing i have them (semi) dialed and heres a few tips to anybody that may have been asking the same questions as me.

-make sure your front tire is rock solid inflated, thats the tire that all of your weight is going to be on so you dont want any squish.
-go at a jogging pace when you practice, the faster you go, the faster you spin, the less time you have to balance. dont overdo it of course.
-when your learning bring both legs onto one side of the bike to bigin with (with on extended all the way toward the ground and the other foot ready to jam onto your front tire) that way you dont have any awkward pre-whip movements to throw you off
-as soon as your front tire comes off of the ground push it to the side with the foot that was on your pedal, so that when it comes all the way around you dont need to jump over the frame to make it on the pedals, just set 'er down
-WEAR PADS your going to go down and you dont need any distractions when you do.
-its going to take a loooooooong time to get them dialed so dont get discouraged, but i learned them on a full suspension 26" mountain bike, which i would imagine to be the hardest combo possible

-- that aint me just some vid i found on youtube, its the technique i found easiest to learn

GOOD LUCK and any comments or questions go for it

Posted: Sep 22, 2007 at 16:36 Quote
Thanks alot for the tips man, i just started to try this trick. On a 26" fully? Holy crap your good.

Posted: Sep 22, 2007 at 18:25 Quote
god this is tough. i can get the bike to spin by kicking the rear with my foot on the pedal but then i keep putting my foot down!

what do you do to keep your foot up!

my toes hurt

Posted: Sep 22, 2007 at 18:37 Quote
unicyle4life wrote:
god this is tough. i can get the bike to spin by kicking the rear with my foot on the pedal but then i keep putting my foot down!

what do you do to keep your foot up!

my toes hurt
when i do it im going at a good enough speed that i need to lean back in order to keep my back wheel from hitting the ground once its gone 180 degrees. if your putting your foot down it seems like you arent going very fast and thats keeping you back heavy, try going a bit faster and maybe do it on the grass to compensate for fear.

and yeah man.... my big toe is kiiiiling me

Posted: Sep 22, 2007 at 22:15 Quote
1. Kick...
2. Then Jam...

I can't stress this enough people.

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 7:20 Quote
After seeing this thread I went out and tried on my Riot, I practiced for around 1 hour. (even though I don't have any cranks Smile )

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/Jonnykessex/?action=view&current=T-Whips.flv

My camera ran out of battery, but after that I started kicking harder and hooked my foot round my seat.

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 9:02 Quote
jmicek wrote:
1. Kick...
2. Then Jam...

wouldnt that be harder. so what how do you kick it on the ground when your not in a endo?

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 10:45 Quote
jmicek wrote:
1. Kick...
2. Then Jam...

i aint talkin about out of a quarterpipe son, its preeeeeetty hard to kick your rear tire to the side when its still on the ground. you DO need to kick it as soon as it comes off the ground and i have found it helps to put a little pressure on the wheel before it comes off the ground but anything seriouse just throws you off balace, seeing as its STILL pretty attached to the ground due to static friction (the title does say flatland doesnt it?)

dont get me wrong, i have nothing against your advice. not even a little bit, but bear in mind that this was a trick guide for FLATLAND t-whips. if your willing to, pm me your own trick guide of how to do them out of a quarter and il add it to the first post.

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 14:06 Quote
jmicek is 100% correct. The way your supposed to do them is by kicking your bike around while its still on groung and then you jam your foot.

http://www.bmxonline.com/bmx/video/huge/0,27680,1598903_78_1,00.html

I'm not sure if this link works, but if it does Eddie Cleveland shows you how its done on flat, on a bank, and a quarter. This vid taught me how to do them and now mine are dialed.

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 17:26 Quote
Yeah I just tried them and there not nearly as easy as they look i tried to do them the way the video showed and when i have my foot over the frame to footjam i cant do it i dont know if its the way im doing them or what
ill post a video after i think

And that link doesnt work anymore btw

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 18:26 Quote
yah that video with eddie cleveland works. iv been trying for a few weeks to land this trick and ive been practising to start off the footjam like eddie did in the video but i cant finish off the move by landing on the pedals. Its very important that you keep your eyes on the pedals the whole time, but for me its still impossible to put your foot on them.
Some good advice is wear shin padds when your practising this trick...i learned the hard way Wink

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 20:05 Quote
winners wrote:
jmicek is 100% correct.

Thank you

Posted: Sep 23, 2007 at 20:50 Quote
okay im wrong, bear in mind that i was learning on a 26 fully. anybody else learning on a 26 inch fully. do NOT kick then jam, i tried it for a good 15 minutes and its just not the way to go. the bike is way too heavy and long. i ended up on my ass or my face every single time. if you can manage it any other way your hella better than me tup

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 at 11:34 Quote
no offense but thats the weiner way of doing them
hop into it without you foot already on the other side
like someone said kick the whip then jam your foot

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 at 17:08 Quote
jessebik01 wrote:
thats the weiner way of doing them
the point of this thread was tips for getting the technique down, not doing to the "manly" or "cool" way. once you get used to the balance and feeling of it then you can bring all the boys to the yard

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010871
Mobile Version of Website