Steel or Aluminium?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Steel or Aluminium?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 15:24 Quote
Hi guys, I'm new to the world of biking and am looking to get into XC and trail stuff and am at the point whereby I am deciding which bike to buy. I've always been told is best but after doing some online digging I am unsure.

So my question is this, which would be more beneficial a steel frame or aluminium? And what are the pros and cons of each?

I'm 5'8" and 70kg approx, cheers!
Ash

Posted: Apr 18, 2015 at 12:44 Quote
Hi

The steel is more heavy and not has strong has the aluminium. If u are a beginner and if you intends to continue in MTB you should buy the aluminium frame. The material use in Mtb its aluminium and carbon the steel was use in the last 8 years Wink

Cheers Wink

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 20:38 Quote
Most high end frames are steel or carbon, aluminum is a great material but it is not near as comfortable to ride. Steel is stronger.

But you can get a lighter cheaper frame on alu

Posted: Sep 12, 2015 at 18:41 Quote
Steel all the way

FL
Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 20:25 Quote
It's all up to personal preference, aluminum will be lighter and stiffer, but steel will give a more comfy ride.

Posted: Sep 19, 2015 at 20:29 Quote
When you really get down to it, steel is on Walmart bike and Aluminum is on Trek, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, and other name brands such as these. If you do really want to get into biking, get aluminum.

Posted: Sep 19, 2015 at 21:16 Quote
First, you need to understand that not all steel bikes are made from the same kind of steel. There is a huge difference between chromoly steel (4130) and hi-tensile steel, namely hi-ten is much weaker garbage that only comes on very cheap bikes (less than $450). Because hi ten is weaker, more must be used, and it makes the bikes very heavy. Chromoly is a very strong alloy, and is used in many mid and high end bike frames, as well as aircraft construction, among other things.

Now, lets compare chromoly steel with aluminum. Steel is stronger and more durable than aluminum, and can be easily repaired, however it is heavier for the same volume, harder to manipulate, and prone to rusting. Conversely, aluminum is very difficult to repair if cracked, but not prone to rusting, lighter, and easier to manipulate. Because of the last two, you can make an aluminum tube from a larger volume of aluminum that will be just as strong and lighter than a steel tube. This is why aluminum bikes tend to have huge crazy shaped tubes, whereas steel bikes tend to have round or ovalized tubing.

So it sounds like you can make an aluminum bike lighter and just as strong as a steel bike, so aluminum must be the better choice- BUT WAIT! Remember how I said steel is more durable? Steel has a material property known as a fatigue limit. Below this limit, you can load and unload the metal an infinite number of times, and it's like nothing has happened to the frame. Unlike steel, Aluminum does not have a fatigue limit - every little impact, every bit of loading will wear out the aluminum until it eventually breaks. To deal with this, aluminum frames must be overbuilt so that they can handle 1 million+ loading cycles without failing, which also means the frames are overly stiff. If the bike is a full suspension bike, that's not a problem, the suspension is going to have a far greater impact on what you can and can't feel than the bike material. However on a hardtail or road bike, the extra stiffness will make the ride much harsher, whereas steel's natural flexibility will smooth out rough surfaces.

As you are new to the sport, you are likely looking at entry level bikes so I'll give you the general breakdown for bikes you are looking at. A steel bike in your price range will likely be slightly heavier than its aluminum counterpart, but will be more durable and feel better. Pick whichever has the characteristics you find more important.

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 21:58 Quote
I'm building an AMHT and still trying to figure out steel or aluminum. Both have advantages, just have not decided the ultimate direction of the build.

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 22:40 Quote
Aluminum does not have a beneficial advantage over steel for an AM hardtail.You might be able to make it a hint lighter, but it will have to be stiff as a mofo and ride very harsh or it won't last very long.

Posted: Apr 3, 2016 at 6:20 Quote
Steel is real. I rode a jamis dragon pro (reynolds 853 steel) and sold the bike to buy a 27.5. Bought a cdale and sold it quickly after buying it do to the frame harshness. I am now back on a steel bike (ritchey p-650b) and will deff not go back to alum frame

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013518
Mobile Version of Website