HD3 Travel Cases?

PB Forum :: Ibis
HD3 Travel Cases?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 13:59 Quote
Are any of you using a travel case for the HD3?
I'm thinking about getting on and doing some travel by plane and would like some recommendations with pros and cons.

Thanks,

-Mike

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
Hey Mike, I've flown with my HD3 (size XL) in a Dakine Bike Bag. I had the older version of the Dakine bag, it was this version and it packed up ok. The fit was snug and packing was sometimes an exercise in patience. One time I decided to not remove the derailleur and the bike arrived with a broken derailleur hanger. When turned on its side to use the wheels down the sidewalk or through the airport it was a wide load to manage. Compared to hard travel cases of the past though, this thing was awesome but then I borrowed a friend's EVOC case.

The EVOC was much better. Packing the bike vertically and the labor taking the bike apart was easier and less of a struggle. The wheels of the bag are set on the narrow side which makes it more nimble through crowded spaces. I didn't struggle with space or getting the frame to sit "just right" so I could zip it up.

I never used any additional padding in either case. I did put a few extra items in the bag each time, like a pack, riding shoes and other riding gear. I carried chain lube as well and it always leaked so it went in a separate plastic bag.

Lastly since I'm Seattle based I flew Alaska and for my bike I've only ever been charged for a second checked bag which is $25. They seem to be really good about traveling with outdoor gear.

Hope that helps!

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 9:18 Quote
Yeah right, EVOC make some real top notch items from a hydration pack kinda view.

However I wouldn’t dare pack my Ibis in my 3l stage lol

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 5:43 Quote
I've got a cheap(er) Chain Reaction Cycles bag. It's reasonably similar to an evoc I suppose. What I have done is use foam pipe lagging to protect my bike further - just get some on ebay, cut it to size and tie it in place with some string. It adds little to no weight, but I'm a while world happier with the idea my bike will arrive in one piece!

I've travelled twice now using that method and it's been fine. There's guides on the Internet on how to pack your bike so I'll not cover that... From reading up previously though I'd ensure you check for damage before leaving the airport as there's a couple of horror stories that float around...

XL HD3

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
I use an airport ninja and fly my HD3 for free.

Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 18:37 Quote
EVOC all the way.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010663
Mobile Version of Website