Can I do better than the Tallboy LTc?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Can I do better than the Tallboy LTc?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2016 at 9:18 Quote
[Quoten]I keep going back and forth between the Rip9 and the Tallboy LT.

Rip9 - fits water bottle and has a newer shock design, but is 20% heavier. Slightly lower leverage ratio (better for heavier riders). No grease ports to easily service suspension.

Santa Cruz - Has grease ports to easily service suspension, 20% lighter, but slightly higher leverage ratio, no water bottle, and has a shock that is about to be replaced in Fox's lineup

Both of them have a steeper HTA than I'm used to. My Stumpy has a 68 and these are both 69.5 if I remember right.[/Quoten]

My $.02...I'm 6'0" and a strong 240lb. I have had quite a few different bikes in the past few years trying to find a bike that suits me and the trails around me better. I came off of an Enduro 29 which was a fun bike but it was heavy and overkill for my riding. I did spend a fair amount of time on the Tallboy LTc, Stumpjumper and others before I found a RIP 9.

Between the RIP and Tallboy LTc(several riding buddies have the LTC) the alloy RIP is slightly lighter built with similar components. The RIP handles better and the head tube angle measured with a 140mm fork is 68.0...with a 150mm fork it is 67.5. Yes that is slacker than the spec states but I have measured it numerous times with different angle meters and come up with the same measurements. As far as pedaling between the two, the Niner is more active and has less pedal feedback. If you like to stand and mash the Tallboy feels firmer under chain tension and the Niner more active(no where near as soft as the Stumpy, just better)

Going downhill between the Tallboy and Niner it is a wash on the drops and rock gardens. I will state from experience the Niner for whatever reason corners much better...it just rails corners in comparison. It is hard for me to figure out why sense the geometry is similar between the two.

I had a tough time deciding between the LTc and RIP but for reasons you mentioned(water bottle in the triangle) and others I prefer the RIP. I will however state that if I was looking for a new bike with the "modern" geometry I would be looking very intently at the Transition Smuggler...it checks all of the boxes.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2016 at 7:51 Quote
OP Alias530 what did you end up deciding? Funny I am doing some research now about upgrading from my LTc. Wondering if there is really something better out there or just different. I am in the same boat wanting to transfer my components over to another bike. I want to be able to keep my carbon wheels which are 142 and my Pike 140 which limits the bike choices since many newer 29ers have gone to boost rear end or the rear travel offerings are less than 120mm. Have my eye on the Ripley LS as a possible choice.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2016 at 11:40 Quote
My Tallboy LTc is dialed now. I purchased a Angleset headset from Works components to take it another 1 degree less and I'm running a 150mm Fox 36. I ride my local trails, but, its totally capable and fun riding my local DH trails at Blue Mountain and my annual trip to Whistler. Been looking to swap my parts too, but, simply can't find another frame. Checkout my profile to see a pic of my bike.

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 8:19 Quote
It does sound like you are getting a bit caught up in the marketing with boutique brands and "fancy" suspension names. If it was called the simple pivot point instead would it still be appealing to you? I have to agree that the rocky mountain instinct seems to be a great match for what you are looking for. If it makes you feel any better it's not a regular Horst link design. It's their smooth link which changes the location of the pivot to minimize pedal Bob while increasing bottom out resistance. Idk the exact kinematics behind it, all I know is it works flawlessly. I have an altitude which is 150mm of travel and I run the shock fully open. It'll climb anything with ease. I can only imagine the instinct will pedal even better since it has less travel. Plus the instinct has the ride 9 system so you can adjust the head angle and geometry as well as suspension characteristics to your liking

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 at 21:46 Quote
happyguy wrote:
My Tallboy LTc is dialed now. I purchased a Angleset headset from Works components to take it another 1 degree less and I'm running a 150mm Fox 36. I ride my local trails, but, its totally capable and fun riding my local DH trails at Blue Mountain and my annual trip to Whistler. Been looking to swap my parts too, but, simply can't find another frame. Checkout my profile to see a pic of my bike.
I have the Tallboy Ltc. Can you tell me which model angle set fits the tallboy ltc?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.066346
Mobile Version of Website