Meta V4 Owners Club

PB Forum :: Commencal
Meta V4 Owners Club
Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 7:17 Quote
Thanks for all the information guys! Very helpful!

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 8:18 Quote
Just picked up a 2016 V4 and loving it but I find the chain comes off very easily. I see a few people on here have the OneUp chain guide. Does a top chain guide like that do the job 100% or do you recommend a top-and-bottom type guide?

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 8:32 Quote
IronJockey wrote:
Just picked up a 2016 V4 and loving it but I find the chain comes off very easily. I see a few people on here have the OneUp chain guide. Does a top chain guide like that do the job 100% or do you recommend a top-and-bottom type guide?

What chainring and deraileur do you have? I run mine with Sram x01 and basoluteblack oval for more then a year and my chain never came off. No chainguide mounted.

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 10:04 Quote
allmountainripper wrote:
Hey everyone, I am looking at getting a meta v4 and am wondering if you guys could give me some info on how it rides? I am coming off a kona operator and want to get an all mountain bike that I can still ride downhill trails but also pedal some trails too. How is the bike riding nasty rock gardens? How does it jump? I have noticed some people saying that there is a lot of flex in the rear, does that effect the ride at all? Also, are there any negatives you can think of? Another choice I am looking at for the new rig is the new Nukeproof Mega 275. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I feel pretty confident saying that you could set this bike up to ride whatever you want. The geometry is spot on and the rear end works well. Out of the box the bike was set up very plush and linear having no volume spacers in the fork, or rear shock. I added some spacers to both give it some more pop, and a more progressive feel. It's super playful now, you can pop off of small features easy and it doesn't wallow in deep holes. Otherwise it turns and jumps great and instills a lot of confidence to go faster. Do it!

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 10:10 Quote
I've got the one up guide with the skid plate Paired with an xt clutch mech and nothing I've managed todo so far has shifted the chain.

@allmountainripper, I haven't been on this long but it handles great. It does feel stable and it takes some body language to get the bike sideways. My overall impression is that you get out of the bike what you put in. If your gentle with it it'll give you a stable pretty uninspired ride. If you get your heals down, And actually ride it hard it turns into a hooligan. It jumps incredibly well to, but again it won't reward lazy riding. Just my thoughts

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 13:28 Quote
I have the E13 rims on mine and when you grab the rear wheel it feels pretty flexy but I can't say I notice it when riding. Through rock gardens I am happy to let the bike just plough through, definitely copes with rough terrain better than my old V3 and as others say it feels great in the air. Also climbs surprisingly well.

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 15:15 Quote
ColinD wrote:
IronJockey wrote:

What chainring and deraileur do you have? I run mine with Sram x01 and basoluteblack oval for more then a year and my chain never came off. No chainguide mounted.

Everything is stock, I've just bought the bike. I've gone riding 3 times and the chain has come off on 5 occasions so I guess it needs a chain guide.

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 16:52 Quote
Thanks guys! One more questions, I see the meta am v4 Brushed edition comes with a 170mm fork as opposed to a 160mm fork. How do you think that would effect the handling of this bike?

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 17:11 Quote
allmountainripper wrote:
Thanks guys! One more questions, I see the meta am v4 Brushed edition comes with a 170mm fork as opposed to a 160mm fork. How do you think that would effect the handling of this bike?

To answer your first post, the bike rides very well. Im coming off of a Process 134 (as well as many other people on this thread that ive noticed). In all honesty though, have you considered the Process 153? If i bought the 153 originally instead of the 134, i probably wouldnt have bought this bike. Not knocking the Meta at all but the 153 is a great bike. It depends on what you want. Im about 195lbs geared up and the Meta feels plenty stiff in my opinion. I will say that the bike felt a lot stiffer when I switched out the Spank wheels for Arc 30's. However, both bikes act differently even with basically the same travel. The 153 doesnt pedal as well as the Meta at all. (For reference, the 134 and 153 pedal very similarly) That was a big difference at first. If you want that dh bike plow feel the 153 does just that. The Meta can do the same but needs more finesse and rider input. My buddies noticed right away how much more playful i rode the bike compared to my Kona. And i can say that i do enjoy the "use the whole trail" style. Its all preference, man. You cant go wrong with either bike.

To address the 170mm fork question, i havent found myself wanting more fork. Im riding the Meta AM Purple which obviously comes with a 160 pike and i like the setup. I guess i would like to try 170 but that might get weird for climbing. The fact that the brushed model comes with a Lyrik is pretty awesome though. That in itself might help quote a bit with straight-lining. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 19:12 Quote
Thanks joalst! That more playful/more finesse is actually something I'm really looking forward too

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 21:48 Quote
I can offer a bit of insight regarding the 170 mm fork. I initially built up my Meta V4 with a 150 mm Fox 34 (545 mm a2c), then switched to a Marzocchi 350 NCR 160, which is fairly tall for a 160 mm fork at 557 mm a2c. A 160 mm pike is 552 mm, and 170 mm Lyrik is 562 mm, so my experience is closer to running the 170 mm Lyrik.

The key thing was to get my bar height right. When I first switched forks, I kept a similar headset spacer arrangement and the bike felt tall and awkward. After dropping the stem to achieve a similar height as I had with the 150 Fox 34, the bike feels just as good climbing and cornering.

I was concerned that having the longer fork would put me too far over the back wheel, and climbing would suffer. But the seat angle still feels decently steep (in spite of what is listed on paper), and the slightly longer chainstays help keep the front end down.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about the 170 mm Lyrik. You can always drop it to 160, but I bet you won't want to bother.

Posted: Jul 8, 2016 at 6:23 Quote
Hey guys. My pivot nut in my carbon 2014 Marin Attack Trail is broken. It would be under warranty if I didnt buy it used. Frown

I'm thinking about buying a META V4 frame. I want to swap the Monarch+ RC3 from my old frame to this frame. Anyone know what tune the Monarch+ shocks are coming with on this bike?

Posted: Jul 8, 2016 at 9:13 Quote
I actually measured my Marzocci's which are meant to be 160(I think..need to check website).....and they measure up at 170 anyway...they are just fine!!!! ????

Posted: Jul 8, 2016 at 10:55 Quote
170 sounds tempting but I need a long a low reach and stack even with 160. I just want to try a sturdier fork like the 36 or lyrik. I'd probably go for a 36 since a lyrik is way to similar to a pike lol

Anyone have experience with the float x with evol can on the Meta? I'm not entirely loving my monarch

Posted: Jul 8, 2016 at 12:28 Quote
joalst wrote:
170 sounds tempting but I need a long a low reach and stack even with 160. I just want to try a sturdier fork like the 36 or lyrik. I'd probably go for a 36 since a lyrik is way to similar to a pike lol

Anyone have experience with the float x with evol can on the Meta? I'm not entirely loving my monarch

You seriously feel like you're flexing the pike? If you get a longer a2c fork you can always lose a headset spacer or two to retain the same bar height. The xfusion sweep would could be nice. The floatx would be a good match for the Meta, you may or may not need the big can depending on your preference.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.011544
Mobile Version of Website