Motivation for those big road gaps

PB Forum :: Downhill
Motivation for those big road gaps
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 5:10 Quote
Hey guys, there's this road gap that i've been eyeing off for a while now, but simply can not muster the courage to hit, what is it that you guys do to get in the right mindset to hit something that scares the sh*t out of you?

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 7:28 Quote
Practice on similar size tables if that's possible where error is more forgiving. Get confident jumping these and then start with smaller caps maybe with less height drop... You could follow a mate into it to judge speed, another thing is to run it at 1/4 speed and not jump but just get the feel of the take off and land etc but make sure not to damage the lip. At the end of the day it's gonna take one burst of guts and once you've landed it you'll hit it again and wonder what the fuss was about.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 15:28 Quote
Don't think about it.... Haha.

Try following someone into it so you can match their speed.....

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 9:40 Quote
Yes just follow a buddy and literally don't think about what you're about to do. Just hit it like you know how and you will do fine. Cheers

Mod Plus
Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
Every rider has their own techniques for overcoming mental hurdles, but I try to abide by the 'three strikes and you're out' rule. After scoping out the lip and landing and making sure that everything lines up well, I'll allow myself three run ins to a jump or drop, and if I'm unable to commit to it by the third try I'll hold off and save it for another day. This helps ensure that I'm focused and mentally ready, rather than rolling up dozens of times and then taking the 'Ah, f#ck it' attitude that can lead to bruises or broken bones.

Following behind a buddy can be beneficial as well, although you'll want to make sure they're confident in their abilities – the last thing you want is to land on them after finally deciding to go for the send. The biggest thing to remember is that the gap will still be there tomorrow – taking the time to make sure your abilities match your aspirations is the best way to stay healthy and able to ride, rather than rushing into something and suffering the consequences if things go wrong. Everyone has on and off days, but with patience it's likely the time will come when that gap will look small and doable, and you'll be able to hit it without trouble.

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 20:48 Quote
WhatsEnduro wrote:
Hey guys, there's this road gap that i've been eyeing off for a while now, but simply can not muster the courage to hit, what is it that you guys do to get in the right mindset to hit something that scares the sh*t out of you?

drink a beer or 2 and you will send it like a boss Beer

not an advocate for riding drunk but some nice warm trailside suds have given me the courage to do some things I would not have otherwise.

I know a lot of people like following other riders into jumps but I can't do that, I find myself focusing on the person in front of me instead of my own speed and what's happening on the trail.

when in doubt...just don't do it and save it for another day.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 3:38 Quote
They're only the same as smaller stuff. Just override your reaction to drop anchor and commit. If you don't fully commit you will probably f*ck up. If you are thinking of hitting it you probably can do it its just hitting it. All or nothing

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022477
Mobile Version of Website