"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)
Author Message
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 0:32 Quote
lona79 wrote:
Anyone know a singlespeed kit for XD drive at a decent price?
Or does anyone know if I can convert a freehub XD drive to Shimano for DT Swiss 240 12x157 hub?
https://www.sbonebikeparts.com/Chaintensioner/sb-one-boner-drive-47.html

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
t1maglio wrote:
Singlespeed downhillers ... that have ridden their rigs at Whistler ... what gearing did you use?

I feel like I spent most of my time probably in a 36-12 when I was there last year, so 36-13 should be ok, but I am open to others thoughts.

I’m usin 34-16, but only riding a few jumps near; And we don’t have fast tracks here.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
t1maglio wrote:
Singlespeed downhillers ... that have ridden their rigs at Whistler ... what gearing did you use?

I feel like I spent most of my time probably in a 36-12 when I was there last year, so 36-13 should be ok, but I am open to others thoughts.

Dont forget that your wheel size changes what gearing you need.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 19:54 Quote
The plan is to be on a mullet ... last year I was on 27.5 front and rear. I feel like the rear wheel is all that matters when it comes to pedaling acceleration ... but I will get a little extra speed from the bigger front. I don't really know.


Blablablup123 wrote:
t1maglio wrote:
Singlespeed downhillers ... that have ridden their rigs at Whistler ... what gearing did you use?

I feel like I spent most of my time probably in a 36-12 when I was there last year, so 36-13 should be ok, but I am open to others thoughts.

Dont forget that your wheel size changes what gearing you need.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
t1maglio wrote:
The plan is to be on a mullet ... last year I was on 27.5 front and rear. I feel like the rear wheel is all that matters when it comes to pedaling acceleration ... but I will get a little extra speed from the bigger front. I don't really know.


Blablablup123 wrote:
t1maglio wrote:
Singlespeed downhillers ... that have ridden their rigs at Whistler ... what gearing did you use?

I feel like I spent most of my time probably in a 36-12 when I was there last year, so 36-13 should be ok, but I am open to others thoughts.

Dont forget that your wheel size changes what gearing you need.

I simply meant that you need to factor in wheel size because the ratios change. The same gears on a 26inch bike will be shorter than on a 29 inch bike. So if someone tells you they run f.ex.36x12, then that wont help you a lot without knowing their wheel size.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
Yup :-)

Blablablup123 wrote:
t1maglio wrote:
The plan is to be on a mullet ... last year I was on 27.5 front and rear. I feel like the rear wheel is all that matters when it comes to pedaling acceleration ... but I will get a little extra speed from the bigger front. I don't really know.


Blablablup123 wrote:


Dont forget that your wheel size changes what gearing you need.

I simply meant that you need to factor in wheel size because the ratios change. The same gears on a 26inch bike will be shorter than on a 29 inch bike. So if someone tells you they run f.ex.36x12, then that wont help you a lot without knowing their wheel size.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
Supreme 29 I recently finished, sorry for the poor photo.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
Joining the club ...




Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
Very nice Trek! Is it a mullet?

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 8:09 Quote
How do you calculate the length of the chain?

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
SSBone wrote:
Very nice Trek! Is it a mullet?

Yup!

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
lona79 wrote:
How do you calculate the length of the chain?

Maybe not the most scientific method but works for me. I start by putting an uncut chain on the bike and removing the rear shock. Your chain line is going to be at its longest when the geometry of your frame is fully compressed so you need to make sure that your chain is long enough to be at this point. I remove links until at full compression, the chain is tight, but still gives my tensioner some wiggle room. If I were to remove one or two more links, the chain would become too short and would not allow for my frame to move through its full range of travel.

Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
Had to take apart an old derailleur for parts and I went a bit far and decided to try the zingle speed mod on my SRAM gx. It worked! We’ll see how this goes, I’ve been wanting to try single speed anyhow.
Sram gx single speed tensioner mod.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 8:09 Quote
Just finished my first ride on my freshly built saracen myst carbontup . Equipped with a sb1 boner paired with a reverse ss kit. Runs incredibly smooth, for now no problems with the missing chain guard.


Posted: 3 days ago Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:
Had to take apart an old derailleur for parts and I went a bit far and decided to try the zingle speed mod on my SRAM gx. It worked! We’ll see how this goes, I’ve been wanting to try single speed anyhow.
Sram gx single speed tensioner mod.


Well well, now we have a GXingle Speed


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010631
Mobile Version of Website