"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)
O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
Hi thinking of setting up my new pivot Phoenix frame when I get it to single speed looking at surly spacers and cog any other good option out there? Also thinking 13t or 14t for 95% jump trails? Is yess etr-d tensioner will work for a dh bike? Any other good option? Looking for light.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
what's up single-speeders - looking for a bit of advise and whatnot

rig is a YT Tues 2019 Aluminium

- want to get single speed
- don' really like to pedal and avoid it mostly

these are the 3 kits I have come across :

( tensioner only )
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SB-ONE/Boner-DH-Chain-Tensioner-1-Generation-p61169/

( whole package )
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SB-ONE/Boner-DH-Drivetrain-1-Generation-p61170/

( nicer package maybe ? )
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SB-ONE/DH-Drivetrain-G3C-eco-Singlespeed-p72821/

my questions are :

- can I just get the spacers and use one of my current cassetes cog ? or it's betst to just get the whole package group ?

- any advantages in getting the nicer package ?

- has anyone a different kit or something cheaper they would advise ? I would like to give this one and didn't want to go as high as 200e before I check if i really like it ?

many thanks in advance for all the help provided !

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 0:52 Quote
You could temporarily use your derailleur as a chain tensioner and just get a cheap 1 cog single speed kit.

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 3:44 Quote
look back through the thread for the derailleur mods such as the "zingle speed", I believe it could work with almost any derailleur if your handy enough, if your looking for a more budget friendly option you can make your own tensioner from parts you already have on your bike that will work just as good as an sb one. Ive been using a modified derailleur for over a month and it works flawlessly.

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:
look back through the thread for the derailleur mods such as the "zingle speed", I believe it could work with almost any derailleur if your handy enough, if your looking for a more budget friendly option you can make your own tensioner from parts you already have on your bike that will work just as good as an sb one. Ive been using a modified derailleur for over a month and it works flawlessly.

I use a stock Zee with a bent spoke where the cable was so that it stays on the gear

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 5:36 Quote
it's the weekend so i'll be thoroughly checking the pages on this thread now - thanks for the tips Big Grin

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 0:01 Quote
lou-talks-mtb wrote:

- can I just get the spacers and use one of my current cassetes cog ? or it's betst to just get the whole package group ?
You could, but a single speed specific cog has taller teeth so the chain stays on better.
lou-talks-mtb wrote:

(...)
See the sbonebikeparts website. Basically damping (so like clutch derailleur versus non-clutch), and adjustement how close the pulley is to the cog.

I have the sb-one, but I find that it sticks out quit a bit to the side. A crashed a few times and a big chunk of it was scraped off. It may be nicer, but there is something to be said to have something cheap and replacable.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 0:28 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
lou-talks-mtb wrote:

You could, but a single speed specific cog has taller teeth so the chain stays on better.

lou-talks-mtb wrote:

(...)

See the sbonebikeparts website. Basically damping (so like clutch derailleur versus non-clutch), and adjustement how close the pulley is to the cog.

I have the sb-one, but I find that it sticks out quit a bit to the side. A crashed a few times and a big chunk of it was scraped off. It may be nicer, but there is something to be said to have something cheap and replacable.

---- the first one - that makes perfect sense - didn't think of that - the kids on the website you mention have this little rail around the cog so the chain stays in better - looks pretty awesome

---- ok - that second one makes perfect sense as well - and i sorta crash a tiny bit too - and might or not break a ton of things while i'm at it

on their website - i might be leaning towards this one :

https://www.sbonebikeparts.com/Chaintensioner/sb-one-boner-drive-47.html

i thought about getting a 14T and a separate 13T in case i wanted to swap it around - but then i just checked and it's a 77euro extra so i might figure out which one i REALLY want before committing - but i think that's what's going to happen Big Grin

many thanks for the input -!!!

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 8:09 Quote
Reverse components has a nice and cheap single speed sprocket+spacers kit. It comes with a steel sprocket which I think is better for single speed than alloy. Because since you basically use that one sprocket all the time an alloy one would wear out pretty quickly.

If you are afraid of chain dropping off you could use two larger old sprockets on the sides .

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
Reverse components has a nice and cheap single speed sprocket+spacers kit. It comes with a steel sprocket which I think is better for single speed than alloy. Because since you basically use that one sprocket all the time an alloy one would wear out pretty quickly.

If you are afraid of chain dropping off you could use two larger old sprockets on the sides .

oh snap - thanks for the tip dude - i thought i could use "the google" but aparently I can't !

https://www.reverse-components.com/en/products/single-speed-kits-0

and can get a yellow one - and maybe just the tensionar from sbone !******* edit - actually, even their tensioner is super-cheap - 100e for the whole kit !? sounds pretty awesome to me !

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
lou-talks-mtb wrote:
Aptlynamed wrote:

oh snap - thanks for the tip dude - i thought i could use "the google" but aparently I can't !

and can get a yellow one - and maybe just the tensionar from sbone !******* edit - actually, even their tensioner is super-cheap - 100e for the whole kit !? sounds pretty awesome to me !
That Reverse Components tensioner is just a rebadged SB ONE CT basic. It doesn't have damping but maybe that is not such a big deal. With single speed you can run with a very short chain, so the risk of chain dropping is already less. If i ever destroy my SB One G3C I might get this one. I like simple sturdy and cheap stuff.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
lou-talks-mtb wrote:
Aptlynamed wrote:

That Reverse Components tensioner is just a rebadged SB ONE CT basic. It doesn't have damping but maybe that is not such a big deal. With single speed you can run with a very short chain, so the risk of chain dropping is already less. If i ever destroy my SB One G3C I might get this one. I like simple sturdy and cheap stuff.

i finally found the tensioner + yellow kit - will see if i can find a yellow chain that doesn't brake the bank Big Grin

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
[Quote="lou-talks-mtb"]
Aptlynamed wrote:

i finally found the tensioner + yellow kit - will see if i can find a yellow chain that doesn't brake the bank Big Grin
Nice. I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
[Quote="Aptlynamed"]
lou-talks-mtb wrote:
Aptlynamed wrote:

Nice. I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

i'll update this in a few weeks - not sure how long it'll take to arrive and when can i go and give it a go

i spent more than half of my bike life on bmx - and even when i moved to a street bike, i also got a single-speed kit for it - will be super interesting to see it on a DH rig

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 21:34 Quote
The reverse has less adjustments than the SBone boner, I think its thier very first model rebranded

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.184608
Mobile Version of Website