"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)
Author Message
Posted: May 27, 2022 at 14:12 Quote
Soupherb wrote:

Ok, maybe not the sexiest bike out there
Still looks good in my opinion. Love the raw look.

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
Hi I'm after a bit of advice please.

I've got a Specialized Enduro that I'm going to turn into single speed for up lift days. All I need is a chain tensioner.

It's out of:

1. Rohloff DH tensioner
2. Reverse Colab chain tensioner

The Rohloff is just a spring (no clutch) but takes 10t jockey wheels so I could fit some aftermarket N/W jockeys.
The Reverse on the other hand has a clutch but takes 11t jockeys.

Has anyone used either or both? What are they like for chain retention and what are your thoughts on them? The Rohloff is meant to be a pain to get the back wheel off but from what I can see both are going to be the same, unless I'm missing something?

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 13:27 Quote
The reverse is nice, maybe 7 rides now on mine. Just a spring though, it doesn't have a clutch. You need to loosen it on the hanger and twist it back in order to get the wheel off which is a bit of a faff but not too bad.
Just using a tiny upper chain guide and I've had no drops.
Not too much chain slap, but it doesn't have the strongest spring. Doesn't seem to be an issue as the cage is so short.

There's a small bump stop kinda thing that stops the cage from rotating too far forwards or back, mine got mangled after the first ride or two. Doesn't make a difference really but might bother some.

Avoid N/W jockey wheels, they suck and make no difference. You also set up the guide pulley so close to your cog that the chain can't really come out anyway.

Much better than the limited off clutch mech and alfine tensioner that I've had before, so far.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 3:26 Quote
Ya, like he said the reverse doesn't have a clutch either. I have both of them, the Reverse is a nice piece and what I use on my park bike. The need for a clutch is much less on a single speed setup, I don't miss it at all plus the suspension works smoother without it. The Rohloff is just as nice however theres a lot of areas around the spring for mud to collect, I think the rolloff is better suited for more xc/light trail oriented bikes. Either way they have similar amounts of tension, work equally well, neither have a clutch, and you have to loosen both of them with a hex to release the rear wheel. You can't really go wrong with either.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 7:08 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:

@jamieridesbikes

Thanks for the info it helped a lot! Seeing they're both springs that evens it. It will probably just come down to availability now which puts the Rohloff ahead. If you don't mind me asking where did you get your tensioner?

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 7:10 Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:
Ya, like he said the reverse doesn't have a clutch either. I have both of them, the Reverse is a nice piece and what I use on my park bike. The need for a clutch is much less on a single speed setup, I don't miss it at all plus the suspension works smoother without it. The Rohloff is just as nice however theres a lot of areas around the spring for mud to collect, I think the rolloff is better suited for more xc/light trail oriented bikes. Either way they have similar amounts of tension, work equally well, neither have a clutch, and you have to loosen both of them with a hex to release the rear wheel. You can't really go wrong with either.

Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
MuddyRusty wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

@jamieridesbikes

Thanks for the info it helped a lot! Seeing they're both springs that evens it. It will probably just come down to availability now which puts the Rohloff ahead. If you don't mind me asking where did you get your tensioner?
No worries! Bikester, £62 if I remember right

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 16:23 Quote

wew, parks cant open soon enough

Posted: Jun 4, 2022 at 18:35 Quote
MuddyRusty wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

@jamieridesbikes

Thanks for the info it helped a lot! Seeing they're both springs that evens it. It will probably just come down to availability now which puts the Rohloff ahead. If you don't mind me asking where did you get your tensioner?

I have the Rohloff tensioner on 2 bikes. Works great but hates mud. Soon as it gets a little muddy it starts skipping like hell. Get the SB One tensioner, seems to get the best reviews

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
Hello

So I was trying to do Zingle from my Zee, everything was fine with all that cutting, but my progress ended when I need to push the pin into the new position without the middle part. I almost got it right but small piece of the pin I am not able to get inside. I hammered it thousand times, no chance. It is still jiggling inside and I can see the pin is not there. Unfortunately I am not able to get it out because from the other side, there is no hole.

Any ideas? I am thinking I will drill the hole, try to push it out, check if there is chance to fix it and maybe I will do a thread there and use small bolt instead of that pin..

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 22:11 Quote
timlikesbikes wrote:
MuddyRusty wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

@jamieridesbikes

Thanks for the info it helped a lot! Seeing they're both springs that evens it. It will probably just come down to availability now which puts the Rohloff ahead. If you don't mind me asking where did you get your tensioner?

I have the Rohloff tensioner on 2 bikes. Works great but hates mud. Soon as it gets a little muddy it starts skipping like hell. Get the SB One tensioner, seems to get the best reviews
so hot maan

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
Woko-O wrote:
Hello

So I was trying to do Zingle from my Zee, everything was fine with all that cutting, but my progress ended when I need to push the pin into the new position without the middle part. I almost got it right but small piece of the pin I am not able to get inside. I hammered it thousand times, no chance. It is still jiggling inside and I can see the pin is not there. Unfortunately I am not able to get it out because from the other side, there is no hole.

Any ideas? I am thinking I will drill the hole, try to push it out, check if there is chance to fix it and maybe I will do a thread there and use small bolt instead of that pin..
I got the pin inserted on mine but it always came loose after a few runs. Maybe the pins weren't intended to be reused anyway, so drilling the blind hole through, tapping it and replacing the pin with a bolt as you suggested seems like the way to do it properly.

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
Woko-O wrote:
Hello

So I was trying to do Zingle from my Zee, everything was fine with all that cutting, but my progress ended when I need to push the pin into the new position without the middle part. I almost got it right but small piece of the pin I am not able to get inside. I hammered it thousand times, no chance. It is still jiggling inside and I can see the pin is not there. Unfortunately I am not able to get it out because from the other side, there is no hole.

Any ideas? I am thinking I will drill the hole, try to push it out, check if there is chance to fix it and maybe I will do a thread there and use small bolt instead of that pin..

Ok, so here is my update of Zingle speed. Maybe someone will also like it with more firm connection rather than using the pin.



I just made it threaded on one end, use M4 thread and M4x30 bolt, put it into right position and tighten it together. I recommend grinding that one small piece which is going to hold the tensioner and also grind that one inner part on the clutch itself. You will save yourself time with adjusting.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 8:50 Quote
I have a 2017 Diamondback Release that I have built into a jibby/freeride style bike (pics below). I really want to slopeduro it but I can't really justify it. Help me outBig Grin





 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010818
Mobile Version of Website