"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)
Author Message
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 12:43 Quote
2020 Santa Cruz 5010- not necessarily a downhill bike... similar idea however. For anyone who's curious, I'm running some old Suntour derailleur for the tensioner. I have an Industry 9 hub and XD driver and I figured it would be cheaper to just buy the reverse XD single speed converter instead of a new HG driver and a single speed kit.

Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 17:46 Quote
5010s are such clean and fun bikes. Love the old Suntour on there

Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 19:40 Quote
13en wrote:
5010s are such clean and fun bikes. Love the old Suntour on there

Gotta love the simplicity. Plus the bike is ~26 lbs

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
Dude serious cred on that beautiful modern bike w/ the retro suntour. I started wrenching in late 90's and those were already vintage. That thing will outlast roaches, ductape, MacGyver, and possibly shimano 747 pedals in a nuke situation.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 17:53 Quote
manhattanprjkt83 wrote:
Dude serious cred on that beautiful modern bike w/ the retro suntour. I started wrenching in late 90's and those were already vintage. That thing will outlast roaches, ductape, MacGyver, and possibly shimano 747 pedals in a nuke situation.
Thanks man! Although I would love to take credit for the mixing of modern and retro… it was completely unintentional. I didn’t want to spend >$100 for a simple chain tensioner so I went to the community bike shop and grabbed a derailleur from the old parts bin for $10. I’m honestly really surprised that anyone noticed the derailleur, especially when compared to the rest of the bike. Had no idea about it until now.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 18:28 Quote
dolofogohogojo wrote:
manhattanprjkt83 wrote:
Dude serious cred on that beautiful modern bike w/ the retro suntour. I started wrenching in late 90's and those were already vintage. That thing will outlast roaches, ductape, MacGyver, and possibly shimano 747 pedals in a nuke situation.
Thanks man! Although I would love to take credit for the mixing of modern and retro… it was completely unintentional. I didn’t want to spend >$100 for a simple chain tensioner so I went to the community bike shop and grabbed a derailleur from the old parts bin for $10. I’m honestly really surprised that anyone noticed the derailleur, especially when compared to the rest of the bike. Had no idea about it until now.
hands down my favorite part of the bike

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 18:32 Quote
Been told that the rohloff chain tensioner won't work with a normal HG hub with a single speed conversion kit on it. Anyone any ideas? I've got an airdrop edit v3 and it's apparently designed around a 52mm chainline.

Only 2 options for a chain tensioner at the moment for me are:

•Da Bomb rl-x

•rohloff dh chain tensioner


I'd prefer the rohloff one due to its being a nice quality but from what I've been told I won't be able to line it up properly but I've seen plenty of nice bikes on here running them so somebody must be able to prove this wrong and help me out

Any kind of info would be great

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 5:01 Quote
dolofogohogojo wrote:
2020 Santa Cruz 5010- not necessarily a downhill bike... similar idea however. For anyone who's curious, I'm running some old Suntour derailleur for the tensioner. I have an Industry 9 hub and XD driver and I figured it would be cheaper to just buy the reverse XD single speed converter instead of a new HG driver and a single speed kit.

f*ck thats a sick conversion, I really like the old stuff on the fresh 5010 3

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 6:10 Quote
Hello! I’m looking for a chain tensioner (SBone preferably) and an XD driver single speed conversion. Does anyone have any of those they would be willing to sell me? Thank you!

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 11:52 Quote
I’ve run the Rohloff for years and it has worked on my bikes but you have to work around the limited chain line adjustment. For instance, on my current setup (Commencal Furious)I have to run my E13 cranks set up in Boost position and even then it JUST works. For some bikes it simply won’t move inboard enough. In that case the only quality option is the SB One tensioners. I assume I’ll have to go that way eventually especially if I change cranks.
Robbly96 wrote:
Been told that the rohloff chain tensioner won't work with a normal HG hub with a single speed conversion kit on it. Anyone any ideas? I've got an airdrop edit v3 and it's apparently designed around a 52mm chainline.

Only 2 options for a chain tensioner at the moment for me are:

•Da Bomb rl-x

•rohloff dh chain tensioner


I'd prefer the rohloff one due to its being a nice quality but from what I've been told I won't be able to line it up properly but I've seen plenty of nice bikes on here running them so somebody must be able to prove this wrong and help me out

Any kind of info would be great

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 1:07 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
That is the coolest

f*ck Big Grin needed to delete browser history after this.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 20:30 Quote


This is my XL Foes Hydro H2. I've had it set up singlespeed for a year now, and love it.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013258
Mobile Version of Website